• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I didn't know you had a Trance. Did you give the XC thing a try?

isn't XC going in the direction of 5" designs? At least for mere mortals, for pros it will probably be less...

XC trailbike if you want to get specific. But I'm sure Scotty will throw a 36mm fork, a single ring on front, some beefy as wheels and then it will be more AM

Trance = AM bike.

Nope.

I wouldn't consider my Trance X1 an AM bike -- more XC for me. It also depends on your build.

I also have a Nomad and while many people seem to think the 2 are "too close together" or "practically the same bike"...they're not. Despite the 1.5" difference in travel, the two bikes handle quite differently.

The Trance, currently at 27lbs is a much more efficient climber than my Nomad. Descending is just OK, doesn't track as well as my Nomad and it feels more twitchy descending bigger/more technical terrain. With the steeper HA, it has much quicker steering.

The Nomad, at 33lbs is an OK climber (for a 6.5" travel bike). It descends A LOT better than the Trance. It "plows" and tracks way better and I never get that twitchiness, especially when bombing down rockgardens. The more slack head angle makes for slower steering, which I notice the most on downhill switchbacks.

It is trails like Tamarancho and Pine Mountain, where the Trance really shines...and trails like Annadel, JMP, and Mammoth Bar where the Nomad excels.

Both very different bikes.

Last edited:
I dont pedal that much so a unicycle is an AM bike to me. If I can make it up i'm going back down on it :twofinger

I think I was thinking more of the Reign but the trace would work for light AM still.

I have a friend who rides AM on a rigid single speed (yes as in no suspension), does that make it AM?

single ring and beefy rear wheel. usual build. either a pike, or this 15mm fox that i just won with another frame off ebay.

man.who knows what i will end up with.

to bad trek and giant dont sell framesets. lost my business

the trannce annd reign x you cann buy in frames. but not the reign 0.

if you can find somewhere to get a standard reign frame, non reign x frame i would be eternally grateful

Back