• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I just had yet another birthday :bday

... and I got quite a bit of $ from family, and now I'm thinking about upgrading the front end of my Hardtail Jamis.

The frame was warranty replaced in 08 because of a headtube frame crack, and I had to buy a new disc wheel for the back - originally the late 2003 model bike had V Brakes ( still has a V brake front :|)

The 2010 Fox F series RLC FIT fork 15 QR just came out recently :drool and I have some connections to get a good deal (but they're still not that cheap!) on it.

That means a new fork, front brake set, new front wheel !!! Whoa $$$$$

I have ridden this bike with it's Marzocchi spring / oil fork since Jan 2004 putting on a little over 1000 miles / yr.

Is the ride quality change dramatic enough to justify the $ ? or are there some other possibilities?

see if you can chase down a Fox F100 Terralogic (should be able to find a new one for around $500)....grab a mechanical front disk brake and a decent front wheel.....you will notice a HUGE difference....

but so ya know....the terralogic forks are not that plush....it's basically a 'brain' for the front suspension....they don't compress until something hits it from below......i've raced a F80X (PUSH'd) in '07 and '08....GREAT freakin' fork...climbs like a billy goat on crack.... :)

see if you can chase down a Fox F100 Terralogic (should be able to find a new one for around $500)....grab a mechanical front disk brake and a decent front wheel.....you will notice a HUGE difference....

but so ya know....the terralogic forks are not that plush....it's basically a 'brain' for the front suspension....they don't compress until something hits it from below......i've raced a F80X (PUSH'd) in '07 and '08....GREAT freakin' fork...climbs like a billy goat on crack.... :)

+1 on the Terralogic "X" forks... but they stopped making them in '07, so you won't find one with a 15QR or FIT. I'm still riding a TALAS X. I just sold the last F100X I had for $300 and it was freshly rebuilt, so they can be had reasonably. Just keep an eye out.

And +1 on getting a newer rig. You may have to add it a few $$$, but that could be offset by selling your old one. At $1k, you'll find even more and nicer ones on CL.

Thanks to Tread Bike Shop I had a chance to try a hardtail bike ($3.4k) with a 09 Fox 32 RLC 100, well only around the parking lot. It didn't seem that much different at first, maybe a little plusher... weird when I picked up the front I could hear and feel the rebound working. I went up and down the nearby curbs and couldn't find any rocky areas or stutter bumps.

I tried the same curbs right afterwards with my own bike - :wow OK it IS quite a bit different! Mine was much harsher when landing off the curbs, like landing on a hard rubber ball, there was a lot more high frequency "ringing" in the handlebars, it didn't have that refined damping action. And supposedly the 2010 has even smoother action... If I buy some other used bike, it WON'T have a fork like the FIT RLC no matter what I find, right?

Another vote on getting a full suspension rig and keeping the hardtail as a backup bike or rainy day/mud bike.

Save your money and spend like $1500 and you can get something pretty nice, I'd love to have a 2010 Fox fork too but instead I just painted my 07 fork white and put new stickers on it :laughing

If you insist, I'd look on ebay or craigslist and look for a 07/08 Fox Float 100 or 120. A RL or a RLC would be good. You can probably score one for $250-300 or so. You don't need a fancy brand new Fox fork for that bike. The fork will be worth more than the whole bike!

The fork will be worth more than the whole bike!

yep, definitely since originally I bought the whole bike for about.... $460

:laughing

I see that the 2010 FOX RP23 is about ~ $400... I'll just save up for an ibis frame :teeth

So the consensus here is that a $700 full suspension bike with cheapo fork and shock rides better and goes everywhere better and more efficiently than a overkill front end hardtail setup?

Last edited:
yep, definitely since originally I bought the whole bike for about.... $460

:laughing

I see that the 2010 FOX RP23 is about ~ $400... I'll just save up for an ibis frame :teeth

So the consensus here is that a $700 full suspension bike with cheapo fork and shock rides better and goes everywhere better and more efficiently than a overkill front end hardtail setup?

I think the consensus is to toss in a few more $$$ (maybe by selling the old bike) and getting a nice FS in the $1k-$1.5K range with a decent build.

...So the consensus here is that a $700 full suspension bike with cheapo fork and shock rides better and goes everywhere better and more efficiently than a overkill front end hardtail setup?

OH HEAVENS NO!......just about 99% of bay area trails are HT friendly.....most people rely on FS as a crutch.....

personally i'd just take all those silly derailleurs, cable thingies, rings off and pop on a rigid carbon fork and some bar ends......SS your old Jamis.....:thumbup

ride that for a bit while you save for a Mojo, Stumpy, Yeti etc.....your skillz will be greatly improved :teeth

OH HEAVENS NO!......just about 99% of bay area trails are HT friendly.....most people rely on FS as a crutch.....

personally i'd just take all those silly derailleurs, cable thingies, rings off and pop on a rigid carbon fork and some bar ends......SS your old Jamis.....:thumbup

ride that for a bit while you save for a Mojo, Stumpy, Yeti etc.....your skillz will be greatly improved :teeth

Get a decent full suspension bike, and I'll GIVE you a MB-5 frame to build Chum style.

Phew! Just got home from DV.

Conditions: Additional exposed rocks all over, More ruts - I guess from the rain last week.

More rocks + More ruts = fucking fun

DSC00195.jpg

I know, the DH bike is overkill for DV, but it gives me more confidence to barrel down and hit the jumps faster @ butcher. LOL :ride

back on the saddle

7 weeks after I broke my leg/dislocated my ankle at Northstar, I'm back to riding:teeth

1st week back and I'm looking at ~72-82 total miles of trail riding -- good stuff:cool

My 3 weeks on the stationary bike with a HR monitor really helped me transition back with ease (possibly even a bit stronger than pre-injury). The 40min sufferfests on the trainer with a sustained HR of 175-185 did its job:thumbup

The ligaments around the ankle seem to be getting stronger with each ride:) (No jumps/drops for another 3 weeks;))

My parting gifts:

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 61
  • hardware2.jpg
    hardware2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back