• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Wow this thread is still alive lol...I posted on like page two when it started like 5 years ago or more hahah crazy. Hi everyone I see alot of OG's posting.

SF Bike Expo

Just wanted to spread the word early about the Expo this year.

SF Bike Expo

I know a few people last year who went and build a whole complete DH bike for under 2gs with top of the line parts.
Every style of riding will be there, DH, Road, XC, AM, hell they will even had low riders and fixies!

People were selling bran new DT Swiss hubs for 75 bucks!

If you need any parts for the coming riding year, or just want to walk around looking at the years new bikes, shocks, chain guides you must show up!

Dont miss out!

(end spam)

i just picked up a bike from a friend. schwinn frontier few years old. im gonna clean it up since its pretty grimey. is it a good idea to get a new chain for it since its been sitting awhile?

any maintenance i should do before riding it

i just picked up a bike from a friend. schwinn frontier few years old. im gonna clean it up since its pretty grimey. is it a good idea to get a new chain for it since its been sitting awhile?

any maintenance i should do before riding it

if the chain is all rusty get a new one....or stretched, get a new one...if it's just gunky you can clean it....

check the headset to make sure it's tight
check the brakes
check side-to-side play in wheels for looseness
check the cranks/BB for any play
check chainring bolts for tightness
check handlebars for fatique/cracks
check stem for fatigue/cracks
check frame for fatigue cracks
check for wheel true
check tires for tread wear
check QR skewers for tightness
check seatpost collar for tightness
check grips for tightness
check pedals for tightness
make sure it shifts (after cleaning chain chain) and adjust cable tension accordingly
suspension is a whole 'nother ball-O-wax.....

that's it.....should take you all of 10 minutes for a good once-over after you clean the sucker.....

go to Parktools.com if you run into anything 'hinky'....the site has a pretty good do-it-yourself section

Note: about the chain.....it may be 'mated' to your rings and cogs....meaning it wasn't maintained so the rings and cogs could be worn....if so keep original chain until you can replace cassette/rings/chain all at once...my .02...

Hey Guys,

MTB newbie here (at least soon to be).

I rode bikes a lot when I was a kid (who didn't) and miss f'ing around in the dirt :)

Been researching bikes and getting money together to get something worthwile but not overkill. Currently thinking a cannondale f5, f7, specialized hardrock disk or sport disk, maybe even a rockhopper comp disc. Hoping to use this not only for a lot of fun but for some physical traning for my moto racing, as my legs are not as strong as they used to be when I played football for years and through college, can't do power squats anymore because of spinal injury.

Don't have a clue where trails are, rules of etiquette, or anything else. Any good links or info for someone starting out, but looking to take it serious? Anyone want to let a newbie tag along sometime?

SMALL DH BIKE FOR SALE

2006 Turner DHR size small (15.5)

Sorry, just picked it up so no pix yet but it is sweet. Nearly no signs of use.
Romac rear shock and 2007 Fox 40RC2 fork, juicy 5's 8inc brakes, Sram X9, xt cassette. Your choice of tires. BAD ASS!!!!
Definitely a bad ass machine.
Color is orange.

Come on over and take it out for a test drive.

Read The Reviews:
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/downhill-full-suspension/turner/dhr/PRD_363975_1542crx.aspx

Pix soon.

Last edited:
Just drove through Tehachapi this past weekend and was thinking it would be nice for MTB. Off summer of course..
It snows there during winter so it gets pretty f-ing cold too..
October will probably be perfect.
J-

Dville tomorrow. Shuttling with Yuba @ 9am. Anyone wanna go that lives on the way from Stockton to Dville, let me know, I can swoop by if you need a ride. I won't even ask you for gas moneyz. Planning to do 2 runs.

Do you know what year and model the shock is? If not, can you post a picture of it? :nerd

Bought the bike in the Grab bag section here on barf. The shock is a early 2000 fox float? I just found a manual for a 2005 online. Im thinking about 150 PSI. just dont wanna blow it out.

I'm hitting Saratoga gap tomorrow. Hit me up if anyone wants to actually burn some calories using two wheels

Back