• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Harpo - that looks like a very sweet bike, especially for the price! But I'm trying to avoid laying out cash, since we just put a deposit down on a house. :p I was hoping to find someone's cheap daughter's or wife's bike who decided she didn't like riding, and threw it in the garage...

That is the question.

Fox RP23 XV and 32Float RLC coming from ebay. Got a super deal on both, so I was considering having them worked over by PUSH Ind.

The shock probably needs revalving. I'm not sure what it came off, but it would be a miracle if it was valved correctly for my VPP bike. The fork is supposed to have fresh oil and seals.

For those who have paid for it, was the PUSH magic worth it? Did the before and after justify the $160?

Besides my new wheels, getting my shock PUSH'd by far was the best improvement I did for my bike. Can't comment on the forks but I'm sure its just as nice.

While this thread was more about how crappy the new boost valve RP23 shocks are, there is some info about how much I liked my Push tune.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=546088&highlight=boost+valve

Push takes slot of the platform out of PP, so just leave it off and tune for that

Dear Yody, turn PP off then set sag and twist knobs.
Greg needs a Mojo!

Greg will absolutely spend as much money as he possibly can to get old bikes and equipment running better, rather than spend less money in the long run on buying a newer bike that works far better than his older bike ever will. :wtf x 10

Oh, same with scooters.

BTW if anyone is interested I should soon have up for sale a brand new never been assembled 2007 Specialized S Works Stumpjumper Carbon frame with brain shock, size XL soon.

Not true Greg had a tazer before the 5.5, but unless you go to the DW the 5.5 is unbeatable. IMO

if you end up going anywhere hit me up im in marin county.

im new

like really new

p.s. whats a good beginners bike? My friend is taking back his bike so im in the market for my own

You'll get it quickly, I'd recommend starting with a hardtail, something with around 100-120mm front travel fork. Ride that during the winter and then upgrade to a full suspension later in the summer.

Waddup y'all, I finally got off my ass and picked up a mountain bike to do some riding! I'll be commuting to work (live/work in SF) as well as hitting some trails... I picked up a Marin Nail Trail 29er and so far I love it!

Attachments

• NailTrail.jpg
    NailTrail.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 52
Waddup y'all, I finally got off my ass and picked up a mountain bike to do some riding! I'll be commuting to work (live/work in SF) as well as hitting some trails... I picked up a Marin Nail Trail 29er and so far I love it!
Hey, it's missing the rear shock thingy :wtf

Hey, it's missing the rear shock thingy :wtf
:|

:twofinger

Yeah yeah, I went for a hard tail as this was already more money than I wanted to spend. Oh well, if I find I miss rear suspension that much then I'll see about sorting that out after abusing this bike for a while... :)

How old are you? How tall are you?

5'8"

p.s. looking for something in the 400-800 dollar range new or used. i doubt i can get a bike with front and rear suspension for that price, but it'd be nice

Last edited:
5'8"

p.s. looking for something in the 400-800 dollar range new or used. i doubt i can get a bike with front and rear suspension for that price, but it'd be nice

Go hardtail, you can get a decent hardtail for that price.

Go hardtail, you can get a decent hardtail for that price.

I got a used Specialized FSR XC for that price ($550).

500 more $$$ later, it was actually a decent bike :)

I got a used Specialized FSR XC for that price ($550).

500 more $$$ later, it was actually a decent bike :)

well i've heard some stories about you from your friend Chris :)

so a decent bike to you would be an oustanding bike for me :)

Back