• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Hmm, needs reading comprehension and spelling I see. From what I read Harpo did get it for $2200 so thats not a false accusation. Either way I give a rats ass, cuz I already got my Mojo :drool I wish I woulda got that Mojo for $2200 tho! Shoot I bought just my frame for a few hundred less than that whole bike, although it was brand new and a SL :teeth

Need Specialized Susp. Help

Hey, is there anyone out there that is friendly enough with a Specialized dealer that might be able to get me some help in getting some "LOVELY" Specialized proprietary suspension warranted. The bike is a 2008 ENDURO SL Pro. Single can rear shock (not the brain shock) and the E150 duel crown Fork in the front. Rear shock has NO (zero) rebound dampening and the front fork seems to basically work properly but clunks (metal on metal) when it tops out. Needs to go to Specialized and they only warrantee their crappy suspension if you are 1) the original owner or 2) You have actual service records from the original owner.

Heeeeeeellllllllppp!!!! Anyone????

Ew, that stinks Harpo. Hope you get it resolved.

So, I've got it in my head to build up a Santa Cruz Chameleon with SRARM x.o goodness. Anyone have thoughts on front suspension? I'm 190 lbs. and will be doing mostly single-track around here, but would like options for exploring. I understand the Chameleon likes 120-140mm.

Ew, that stinks Harpo. Hope you get it resolved.

So, I've got it in my head to build up a Santa Cruz Chameleon with SRARM x.o goodness. Anyone have thoughts on front suspension? I'm 190 lbs. and will be doing mostly single-track around here, but would like options for exploring. I understand the Chameleon likes 120-140mm.

OK, not being a hard-tail aficionado, (Ask EC70 I think he does some serious DHing on a hard-tail) my guess (guess :wtf) is that on a hard-tail being used for xc that 80 - 100mm would be the way to go. Regardless, I have 100, 120 and 140mm suspension. All top notch stuff. I do not deal with crap. When you figure out what you want let me know and if I can make you a good deal on a fork I will.

Thanx, Joe

OK, not being a hard-tail aficionado, (Ask EC70 I think he does some serious DHing on a hard-tail) my guess (guess :wtf) is that on a hard-tail being used for xc that 80 - 100mm would be the way to go. Regardless, I have 100, 120 and 140mm suspension. All top notch stuff. I do not deal with crap. When you figure out what you want let me know and if I can make you a good deal on a fork I will.

Thanx, Joe

I appreciate the info, thanks.

I appreciate the info, thanks.

Really it depends on what the Head tube angle and bottom bracket height are and what travel fork they use to get those specs, then you can see how adding more travel will slacken out the head tube angle and by how much.

If you go their site;
http://www.santacruzmtb.com/chameleon/index.php?geometry=1

it shows this bike has a 68 degree Head tube angle which is fairly slack, going more towards descending rather than climbing but is still in the middle ground of an all around riding type of geometry.

So basically for the most part you only want to go about 20mm longer travel than what they originally spec'd it with max if you wanted more front travel and didn't mind sacrificing climbing ability. This will raise your bottom bracket height just a little and will slacken the geometry some making it a little more stable at higher speeds and less twitchy going downhill, but will sacrifice some of the snappiness and agility of the bike at lower speeds etc, also the bike will want to wheelie easier going up steeper climbs. Usually only real All Mountain bikes and downhillish bikes go 67 degrees and lower.

If it was me I'd go with a 120mm fork based on the type of riding you want to do, which sounds like a mix of both down, flat, and uphill. If you're going to do a lot more uphill than dowhill I'd go with a 100mm fork (which would give you a 69 degree headtube angle) and if you were primarily going for downhill I'd do a 140mm fork (for the 67 degree angle)

If you really wanted do have all the options you would get a Fox Talas fork which has an on the fly lever allowing you to go from 100-120-140mm of travel just by reaching down and flicking the lever. The downside of the Talas is that it weighs a bit more than a normal air fork, and people occasionally have problems with they get warrantied often.

Last edited:
Hey, is there anyone out there that is friendly enough with a Specialized dealer that might be able to get me some help in getting some "LOVELY" Specialized proprietary suspension warranted. The bike is a 2008 ENDURO SL Pro. Single can rear shock (not the brain shock) and the E150 duel crown Fork in the front. Rear shock has NO (zero) rebound dampening and the front fork seems to basically work properly but clunks (metal on metal) when it tops out. Needs to go to Specialized and they only warrantee their crappy suspension if you are 1) the original owner or 2) You have actual service records from the original owner.

Heeeeeeellllllllppp!!!! Anyone????

ughhhh don't remind me of those things. i went through 4 rear shocks in 6 months. terrible.

and at the time, you didn't have to be an original owner. any spec dealer was letting you send them in b/c spec admitted to the problems with them.

maybe give it a shot

ughhhh don't remind me of those things. i went through 4 rear shocks in 6 months. terrible.

and at the time, you didn't have to be an original owner. any spec dealer was letting you send them in b/c spec admitted to the problems with them.

maybe give it a shot

Went through 3 of them in 6 months

Really it depends on what the Head tube angle and bottom bracket height are and what travel fork they use to get those specs, then you can see how adding more travel will slacken out the head tube angle and by how much.

If you go their site;
http://www.santacruzmtb.com/chameleon/index.php?geometry=1

it shows this bike has a 68 degree Head tube angle which is fairly slack, going more towards descending rather than climbing but is still in the middle ground of an all around riding type of geometry.

So basically for the most part you only want to go about 20mm longer travel than what they originally spec'd it with max if you wanted more front travel and didn't mind sacrificing climbing ability. This will raise your bottom bracket height just a little and will slacken the geometry some making it a little more stable at higher speeds and less twitchy going downhill, but will sacrifice some of the snappiness and agility of the bike at lower speeds etc, also the bike will want to wheelie easier going up steeper climbs. Usually only real All Mountain bikes and downhillish bikes go 67 degrees and lower.

If it was me I'd go with a 120mm fork based on the type of riding you want to do, which sounds like a mix of both down, flat, and uphill. If you're going to do a lot more uphill than dowhill I'd go with a 100mm fork (which would give you a 69 degree headtube angle) and if you were primarily going for downhill I'd do a 140mm fork (for the 67 degree angle)

If you really wanted do have all the options you would get a Fox Talas fork which has an on the fly lever allowing you to go from 100-120-140mm of travel just by reaching down and flicking the lever. The downside of the Talas is that it weighs a bit more than a normal air fork, and people occasionally have problems with they get warrantied often.

I was reading about that over at competitivecyclist.com, as well. I *think* the Talas may offer me the best of all worlds. Man, that shock is more than the frame and the derailleurs! :wtf

looking for an xl hardtail xc bike, or 3-4 inch max, bike. something relatively cheap. need a beater i can ride from the house, as the trails here dont warrant a 6 inch bike all the time

I was reading about that over at competitivecyclist.com, as well. I *think* the Talas may offer me the best of all worlds. Man, that shock is more than the frame and the derailleurs! :wtf

Yeah may not be worth it, also if forget to change the travel mode you can hit your favorite trail in a wack setting, a 120mm Fox float or similar Rockshox fork might be the way to go

Yeah may not be worth it, also if forget to change the travel mode you can hit your favorite trail in a wack setting, a 120mm Fox float or similar Rockshox fork might be the way to go
Codey, how long have you actually been a mtn. biker???

Codey, how long have you actually been a mtn. biker???

I dunno 2 or 3 years? Still happens to me occasionly and I've been riding this same talas for like closer to 2 years probably, as a matter of fact it happened to me tonight, half way down Cinderella realized I was in 120 instead of 140, switched it and immediately felt better! more of a geometry thing rather than fork travel.

I dunno 2 or 3 years? Still happens to me occasionly and I've been riding this same talas for like closer to 2 years probably, as a matter of fact it happened to me tonight, half way down Cinderella realized I was in 120 instead of 140, switched it and immediately felt better! more of a geometry thing rather than fork travel.

Sorry to be rude, but as I get older I tend to give a crap less and less. It's understood that at this point in time, beyond any shadow of a doubt, you could kick my ass on just about any mt. bike ride out there (with the exception of pure DH) no questions asked. So I'm not saying anything about your riding ability, but the fact of the matter is that you really don't have all that much experience (time in the saddle and knowledge of lots of equipment) and yet you offer up quite a bit of info that you really have no idea (or at least very little) what the hell you are talking about. Just because you know how to drive a car doesn't mean you have the knowledge base to tell others how to build theirs, .... get it. :wtf

Moving Forward, ... and while I'm venting, just incase there was any mistaking how I felt about it, .... Hey MTBMoto, .... you are really an A$$%@!#, .... Who the hell do you think you are coming onto a forum that your not even part of and trying to “call someone out.” I’m pretty much one of the original members of this forum and just about everyone on this thread is a close personal friend of mine. (with the possible exception of Cody who right now is probably pretty pissed at me. Sorry Dude :() As a matter of fact, went to one of their B-Day parties the other night and several people came up to me and commented on the @$$%&!# that tried to call me out. (That’s you)
I've moto'ed, road biked, mtn. biked, Dhed, skied, partied and spent lots of time with most of the people here on this thread. I would and have helped out anyone that ever needed anything. I’ve leant, on more occasions than I can count, $3000+ mountain bikes so friends could go play at NorthStar and Whistler. I've sold bikes and parts to no less then 8 or 9 people in this thread alone, and yes, this is how I pay some bills right now. Go ahead, ask any of them if the feel ripped off or wouldn’t buy from me again. I offer a great product at a fair price and stand behind everything I sell. Find someone else selling used stuff that will do that for ya.
You must be young and have no F@#$EN clue yet how the world works but this ain't how you make friends. And if I'm wrong, ... and you're not young, that's even worse because it means that your just an idiot. Oh, and if you weren't such an idiot and actually offered the guy cash for the Mojo, if it makes you feel any better to know, ... he would have given it to you for 2K. :wtf But hey, you were right about the fork. Ooops, my bad. It is 150mm and not 160. Which I’m certain I would have listed correctly if this was next spring when I planned on writing the add, taking the pix and selling the bike. But again, I do appreciate you calling me out on that too. Thanx, and you've definitely made friends on this this forum. Good job dude. Open your mouth again and I’m sure you’ll make even more friends.

Hey, do you make this nice of an impression on people everywhere you go?

PS. Sorry Mikey, that just had to come out. I feel almost cleansed. :teeth

Last edited:
Sorry to be rude, but as I get older I tend to give a crap less and less. It's understood that at this point in time, beyond any shadow of a doubt, you could kick my ass on just about any mt. bike ride out there (with the exception of pure DH) no questions asked. So I'm not saying anything about your riding ability, but the fact of the matter is that you really don't have all that much experience (time in the saddle and knowledge of lots of equipment) and yet you offer up quite a bit of info that you really have no idea (or at least very little) what the hell you are talking about. Just because you know how to drive a car doesn't mean you have the knowledge base to tell others how to build theirs, .... get it. :wtf

Why what a juicy post we have here. I damn need a Harpo Pop Up blocker for all the used mountain bike spam you post :rofl

Please master of mountain biking inform me of all the ill info I have provided. Unless you can enlighten me as to what bad info I am spewing I'm just going to have to assume that your point of view is tainted by the fact that the info you provide is motivated by making a sell. Because I honestly can't think of any other reason for you to feel so compelled to say something, unless you can fill me in some details of how bad ,my suggestions and info are.

From my "limited" according to you seat time I've noticed that people who know everything can't always ride well and people who ride well don't typically know much so whats the point. If you don't like something I'm saying please feel free to correct me but don't just randomly try and call me out without backing it up

And for the rest of your rant, maybe taking the high road would be better for you, mixing business and emotions doesn't seem to be a good combination for you, and don't trip I'm not tripping off of your post, Mike (painstakingly) knows I'm good for a debate, pass the :Popcorn lol

BTW I know how to build cars too :twofinger

Last edited:
Why what a juicy post we have here. I damn need a Harpo Pop Up blocker for all the used mountain bike spam you post :rofl

Please master of mountain biking inform me of all the ill info I have provided. Unless you can enlighten me as to what bad info I am spewing I'm just going to have to assume that your point of view is tainted by the fact that the info you provide is motivated by making a sell. Because I honestly can't think of any other reason for you to feel so compelled to say something, unless you can fill me in some details of how bad ,my suggestions and info are.

From my "limited" according to you seat time I've noticed that people who know everything can't always ride well and people who ride well don't typically know much so whats the point. If you don't like something I'm saying please feel free to correct me but don't just randomly try and call me out without backing it up

And for the rest of your rant, maybe taking the high road would be better for you, mixing business and emotions doesn't seem to be a good combination for you, and don't trip I'm not tripping off of your post, Mike (painstakingly) knows I'm good for a debate, pass the :Popcorn lol

BTW I know how to build cars too :twofinger
:teeth :thumbup
I got mine, you got yours, ...
and maybe someday I might actually feel good enough agin to actually get on a mtn. bike and let you (like I'd have any control over it :() kick my ass properly. :teeth x10

Back