• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

well i've heard some stories about you from your friend Chris :)

so a decent bike to you would be an oustanding bike for me :)

It was actually a heap. The disc brakes were mismatched, and had no stopping power. Fork leaked oil, shock had a shit-ton of stiction. Neither end had any damping adjustment.

I got an inexpensive Marzocchi fork on eBay, some Avid mechanical discs, and a used Fox Float R shock - and it actually worked alright. Came to the conclusion that the bike was too small for me, so I parted it out and let it go.

Which Chris has been telling you what stories? ALL LIES AND EXAGGERATIONS :)

I got a used Specialized FSR XC for that price ($550).

500 more $$$ later, it was actually a decent bike :)

Personally I think its better to start on a hardtail, kinda like its better to learn how to ride a smaller displacement motorcycle before getting something newer and bigger. You don't have to deal with possibly getting a funky rear suspension design, no shock to blow out or leak, no worrying about messing with shock settings, psi, etc, and its winter so no worries on riding it in the mud.

Then if he really digs mountain biking, he can always keep the hardtail as a second bike/backup/winter bike and buy a full suspension rig and really appreciate it, and with the built up skills from riding a hardtail, like picking lines, pumping the bike, and using body as suspension he'll really rip.

At least thats how I did it and I'm glad I did :) I'd rather have a nice hardtail than a junky full suspension

5'8"

p.s. looking for something in the 400-800 dollar range new or used. i doubt i can get a bike with front and rear suspension for that price, but it'd be nice
At 5'8" you might be a tad big for a small, but if you are into smaller bikes I have a 2006 Giant Reign 3, 6inch travel frame that I could build up to be a pretty nice rig for right around $800. And no worries about inadequate or old broken equipment, Anything goes wrong and I'll stand behind it.
Joe

Personally I think its better to start on a hardtail, kinda like its better to learn how to ride a smaller displacement motorcycle before getting something newer and bigger. You don't have to deal with possibly getting a funky rear suspension design, no shock to blow out or leak, no worrying about messing with shock settings, psi, etc, and its winter so no worries on riding it in the mud.

<snip>

Then if he really digs mountain biking, he can always keep the hardtail as a second bike/backup/winter bike and buy a full suspension rig and really appreciate it, and with the built up skills from riding a hardtail, like picking lines, pumping the bike, and using body as suspension he'll really rip.

At least thats how I did it and I'm glad I did :) I'd rather have a nice hardtail than a junky full suspension

At the same time, the fun factor of a decent full suspension bike can get someone hooked. With me, it happened when I got my full suspension GT I-Drive 3.0, which I picked up for like 500-600 bucks brand new. And like you always used to say - IT'S ALL ABOUT THE I-DRIVE! ;)

How popular would motorcycling be if we were forced to ride < 400cc cruisers for the first year?

Harpo - grapevine tells me you may have a Mojo that fits me... tell me more!

-Hardtail guy
Wat Up Dude, long time no see. How are you?

I have an ABSOLUTE TOP OF THE LINE BUILD, ... L/XL (Mojo's run small) 2009 Green Mojo with the Lopes link and the Ti bolt replacement package.
Full Carbon, Easton EC bars, Easton EC 90 seatpost, xtr 970 chain, cassette, shifters, fr and Rr derailleurs. (Rear is 972 Shadow Carbon) Oro Formula Brakes w/carbon levers, Truvativ Noir Carbon cranks (green to match the bike) RP23 rear shock, Rock Shox Revelation (Black Box) U-Turn 120-160mm, rear hub is DT Swiss 240 w/DT Swiss 5.1d hand built wheel. Front had to be changed to accommodate the 20mm Thru axel on the RS fork. Front is Hope Pro hub 20mm hand laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim. (You can either keep that the way it is or I all ready purchased another 5.1d I was going to cross-lace so the front and rear matched.

Was thinking around the $3500 range.

Last edited:
At the same time, the fun factor of a decent full suspension bike can get someone hooked. With me, it happened when I got my full suspension GT I-Drive 3.0, which I picked up for like 500-600 bucks brand new. And like you always used to say - IT'S ALL ABOUT THE I-DRIVE! ;)

How popular would motorcycling be if we were forced to ride < 400cc cruisers for the first year?

I wouldn't compare a hardtail to a 400cc cruiser. While I agree I didn't really start having a lot of fun until I got my full suspension, I am totally glad my friend had me start out on a hardtail. In fact I'd love to have a hardtail as a second bike right now to get back to the basics every now and then. I'd rather have a nice solid hardtail than a galopy full suspension, which is what you get for $500

Wat Up Dude, long time no see. How are you?

I have an ABSOLUTE TOP OF THE LINE BUILD, ... L/XL (Mojo's run small) 2009 Green Mojo with the Lopes link and the Ti bolt replacement package.
Full Carbon, Easton EC bars, Easton EC 90 seatpost, xtr 970 chain, cassette, shifters, fr and Rr derailleurs. (Rear is 972 Shadow Carbon) Oro Formula Brakes w/carbon levers, Truvativ Noir Carbon cranks (green to match the bike) Rock Shox Revelation (Black Box) U-Turn 120-160mm, rear hub is DT Swiss 240 w/DT Swiss 5.1d hand built wheel. Front had to be changed to accommodate the 20mm Thru axel on the RS fork. Front is Hope Pro hub 20mm hand laced to Stan's ZTR Flow rim. (You can either keep that the way it is or I all ready purchased another 5.1d I was going to cross-lace so the front and rear matched.

Was thinking around the $3500 range.

Man, i coulda sworn that was the one on craigslist a few weeks ago for 2200. almost bought it myself for that price. hope you can sell it for that!

Man, i coulda sworn that was the one on craigslist a few weeks ago for 2200. almost bought it myself for that price. hope you can sell it for that!
You should have bought. I did!!
This is what I do for a living. If you spent the hours I do searching to find the deals, the time traveling to pick things up, the time spent weeding through all the assholes on CL, the time spent on all the lying shitheads on ebay, the time spent to make everything work, look pretty, match, write ads, take and post pix and get it sold, ..... then you too might be able to get a $4500 Ibis for $2200, spend another $600 on it, turning it into roughly a $6000 Ibis, then you too might also be able to get $3500 for it, ... which I have absolutely no doubt that I will get by next spring.

But than for pointing that out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Though i do not know you, or anyone really on this board as i just moved to San Fran for work, i am not trying to stir anything up, im wondering what you put into the bike that is different from when i looked at it.

If memory serves, it had an XT crankset, and it looks as though you have swapped to a truvativ carbon that goes for roughly $100 more on e bay etc (which i am sure you know, according to you extensive knowledge).

Also note that the revelation has only 150mm of travel. The rear of that bike has a dt RWS if memory serves, the front hub is off colored from the rear (silver). Just filing in the gaps for you.

Good luck with the sale. Daring career you choose to follow. Best of luck.

Though i do not know you, or anyone really on this board as i just moved to San Fran for work, i am not trying to stir anything up, im wondering what you put into the bike that is different from when i looked at it.

If memory serves, it had an XT crankset, and it looks as though you have swapped to a truvativ carbon that goes for roughly $100 more on e bay etc (which i am sure you know, according to you extensive knowledge).

Also note that the revelation has only 150mm of travel. The rear of that bike has a dt RWS if memory serves, the front hub is off colored from the rear (silver). Just filing in the gaps for you.

Wow, I almost forgot why I started PMing people and stopped posting on the board. Thanx for reminding me.

Harpo

What up mang. Thanks for letting me know wassup with that bike. Sounds P.I.M.P.

A little too P.I.M.P. for me right now. Maybe come spring I'll be P.I.M.P.I.N.G. it and be able to get on a bike like that.

For now I will continue to drool.

I remember that bike, tried to get Greg to buy it. I don't know what possessed the guy to sell it so low. Sounds like someones sore they missed out on that CL deal.

:dunno uhhhh, well that was worthless...

3500 is a steal for a mojo, considering all the work joe probably puts into a final product for his people. im sure many can vouch for that.

somebody really does sound sore for missing out on a sick deal.

somebody really does sound sore for missing out on a sick deal.

Just when I thought things were calming down, you have to come and attempt to rub salt in some sort of preconceived would :)

If Joe wanted, he could post his bikes in the Grab Bag section of the Classifieds forums, where it would remain free of criticism thanks to forum rules. A simple link from this particular thread would suffice.

MTBMoto seems to know his stuff, I wouldn't want to argue with him. And most of us know Joe's deal - he offers fair prices on clean bikes, and many of us have purchased from him.

P.S. Dono is a pedaling monster :)

Just when I thought things were calming down, you have to come and attempt to rub salt in some sort of preconceived would :)

yea, i wasn't really if it sounded like it. that is preconceive anything initially.
i love this forum, spent many odd years on it, and return only for this thread.

Crash is right.
There's no room for false acquisitions, only peace.

moving on...
(place gay dancing spider here)

yea, i wasn't really if it sounded like it. that is preconceive anything initially.
i love this forum, spent many odd years on it, and return only for this thread.

Crash is right.
There's no room for false acquisitions, only peace.

moving on...
(place gay dancing spider here)

False Acquisition?? :wtf

Back