• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

You sure about that?

Pot Meet Kettle Ms. Tandem communication rider :twofinger

Speaking of overated Nomads, there must be a reason why you don't ride your's anymore :x

I still ride it...rode it 2 weeks ago in the Oakland hills...and the week before that at JMP:wtf

I just dont ride it on longer rides cause its 32lbs and kills my back:)

Speaking of overated Nomads, there must be a reason why you don't ride your's anymore :x
If I might chime in for Roxy, ... I'm guessing the reason could possibly be because the Nomad is the best "All Mountain" bike on the planet and maybe not optimal for chasing a YOUNG guy with adrenaline running through his veins on a 20+ mile xc/training ride. But she, as I and many know, when it's time to pull out the heavier artillery, ... NOTHING TOUCHES IT!! :twofinger

If I might chime in for Roxy, ... I'm guessing the reason could possibly be because the Nomad is the best "All Mountain" bike on the planet and maybe not optimal for chasing a YOUNG guy with adrenaline running through his veins on a 20+ mile xc/training ride. But she, as I and many know, when it's time to pull out the heavier artillery, ... NOTHING TOUCHES IT!! :twofinger

I'm sure it works pretty well as a dual purpose bike, due to the fact that its near 7" of travel. But other than some serious chop I can't think of anywhere around here that you really need that bike, plus I'm just a VPP hater so I'm just biased that way.

If somebody smokes me down any trail within 100 miles of here and they're on a Nomad its not because of the bike.

I'm sure it works pretty well as a dual purpose bike, due to the fact that its near 7" of travel. But other than some serious chop I can't think of anywhere around here that you really need that bike, plus I'm just a VPP hater so I'm just biased that way.

If somebody smokes me down any trail within 100 miles of here and they're on a Nomad its not because of the bike.
Look Cody, I'm too old, tired and busted up to "throw down any challenges" but I will say this. If you haven't ridden the bike extensively enough to get it really set up perfect (which admittedly is not an easy task) you just can't make a judgement or an assessment.

You might just be surprised how much easier things tend to be on a Nomad. I was. :teeth

Having owned a Nomad, a blur XC and a Stumpjumper FSR S-Works at the same time, I can say beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Nomad was not only, consistently, the fastest bike (comparing my times) around Tamarancho, but that when I was done riding my body always hurt less and there was always a bigger smile on my face. :teeth x 10

I think now a days, the Reign X series, set-up properly could probably give it a good run for the money (I rode one, it worked REALLY well) but I'm still always glad to get back onto the Nomad.

Bottom line, if you don't know first hand, .... You can't make the judgement! :teeth

Look Cody, I'm too old, tired and busted up to "throw down any challenges" but I will say this. If you haven't ridden the bike extensively enough to get it really set up perfect (which admittedly is not an easy task) you just can't make a judgement or an assessment.

You might just be surprised how much easier things tend to be on a Nomad. I was. :teeth

Having owned a Nomad, a blur XC and a Stumpjumper FSR S-Works at the same time, I can say beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Nomad was not only, consistently, the fastest bike (comparing my times) around Tamarancho, but that when I was done riding my body always hurt less and there was always a bigger smile on my face.

I think now a days, the Reign X series, set-up properly could probably give it a good run for the money (I rode one, it worked REALLY well) but I'm still always glad to get back onto the Nomad.

Bottom line, if you don't know first hand, .... You can't make the judgement! :teeth

So you're saying you need a Nomad to ride Tamarancho? :rofl Thats weird because Tamarancho is predominantly uphill

While its true I haven't owned one or ridden one long enough to TRULY come away with a noble opinion, I still think they're overated and overkill. Obviously they are not crappy bikes but I'd take a Reign with the Maestro system any day over the Nomad, which is what my original statement was about :)

So you're saying you need a Nomad to ride Tamarancho? :rofl Thats weird because Tamarancho is predominantly uphill

While its true I haven't owned one or ridden one long enough to TRULY come away with a noble opinion, I still think they're overated and overkill. Obviously they are not crappy bikes but I'd take a Reign with the Maestro system any day over the Nomad, which is what my original statement was about :)
I'm out, Done, ... You Win! Youth and hot air once again reign supreme over old and tired. I bow to thee oh Cody The Great. :hail :twofinger

I'm out, Done, ... You Win! Youth and hot air once again reign supreme over old and tired. I bow to thee oh Cody The Great. :hail :twofinger

I see you've been taking lessons from Mike :teeth

Oh BTW I'm turning 30 this year, can I join the old guy club then?

Last edited:
Kurt, I think you rode it too hard.

Get a;
ReignX
Turner RFX
Santa Cruz Bullit

How do you feel about Ellsworth frames?

I just picked up a Joker for a good price, ready to rock this summer and hope to DH at the otter

How do you feel about Ellsworth frames?

I just picked up a Joker for a good price, ready to rock this summer and hope to DH at the otter

Get rid of that piece of crap and buy a Reign X. :wow
Heeeeyyyy, I know someone who has one for sale at a great price. :teeth

D'oh!!

Kurt, how long have you had the bike?

like three-four months...

time to cash in the lifetime warranty

only if you're the original owner :/
which i am not... in which case i'm sol!

Kurt, I think you rode it too hard.

Get a;
ReignX
Turner RFX
Santa Cruz Bullit

i have a new frame coming. i got a freeride/dh/slopestyle bike this time.. cannondale perp. hopefully doesnt cracknfail like the moto.. which i admit i rode a little too hard for it's intended purposes. i figured "all mountain" should be able to handle anything i dish out being a newbie... too bad i was wrong :(

Back