• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

MassiveAttack said:
Last one... Harpo making his fine adjustments to his 1988 Manitou fork.

:shhh It's the secret to why he's so dam fast!

1460435-suspension.jpg
Wooo Hooo!! Great F@#$EN ride. :thumbup :teeth
Solis, ... you, da man!! I have a great time every time I go ridin' with you.

Took me an hour in the driveway with a high pressure hose just to get all the hunks of mud off the bike, cloths and gear.
:thumbup Thumbs up for MA who managed to make it the whole ride without a cigarette. Don't worry though, he made up for it in the parking lot after the ride. :laughing :laughing :laughing

Yea, my 1930somthing, Manitou Mars is old and tired. Not sure if I'm gonna rebuild or buy new. I'd love a new Fox but me is just a poe-boy.:(

Not sure about Auburn next Sat. May have to work and may not have a fork yet.

Joe - we should go rail the back side of China Camp sometime! You're right - Annadel is a full day, but a 12-14 mile loop of both sides of the Camp can be done in under two hours. Especially doing the climbs at your pace.

Anyone here have some fork recommendations for the Harpo-nator? I can see how my bike works where his doesn't - the Jekyll just soaks things up, allowing me to float over ruts and rocks while Joe gets all bent out of shape. Even with his new FS setup.

Cost (cheap) and weight (light) are the two big factors, with compliance over bumps being more important than the ability to take hits.

Hope you can do Auburn next weekend. My bike is in the shop getting tuned up - should make the climbs a lot smoother :)

Last edited:
MrCrash907 said:
Anyone here have some fork recommendations for the Harpo-nator? I can see how my bike works where his doesn't - the Jekyll just soaks things up, allowing me to float over ruts and rocks while Joe gets all bent out of shape. Even with his new FS setup.

Cost (cheap) and weight (light) are the two big factors, with compliance over bumps being more important than the ability to take hits.

I'm running a marzocchi EXR on my bike. Its relitively light and cheap. Just your basic spring/oil fork with preload, but it works well for stuff like demo and UCSC with about 100mm of travel. I wouldnt trust it for big drops or huge jumps, but it seems fine for small stuff on my Giant NRS and me @ 175lbs.

For the best prices on any bike parts check this place out:
Best Bike Buys

looks like a killer ride kids. next time I'm there! How many actually made it?

Does anybody have any input on either of these forks?
Manatou Skareb Super 100

Manatou Black Super 100 w/tpc lockout

Manatou Skareb Elite 100

Yes, the 100 mm fork is the right one for my frame, ... I believe.

Oh, and how about Fox forks? And if I was to start looking at Fox forks, which one would you recommend. Keeping my riding style and weight in mind.
Very aggressive recreational (not racer ) xc rider. As Mike said, it is much more important that the shock will soak up all the bumps rather than be good on the big drop-offs. (because I will NOT be going off any big drop-offs) Also, I weigh 145 (148 covered in mud:teeth) and want the fork to be VERY light.

Last edited:
F that man you guys are nuts!!! But then again I live in San Mateo 92 & 101 , way too far. I'll meet you guys up at skeggs anytime and we can shutlle.

Harpo -

I would suggest the fox float over any coil spring for the type of riding you do.

FOX 100 RLC
FOX 100 RLT
FOX 100 RL

All of the above are great and offer lock out for when you want to beat us slow guys to the top. :finger

I've read mix reviews about other brand forks.

.... and besides, wouldn't you rather support a local manufactuer? get on the fly technical support and top notch customer service?

Good Luck - hope to see you on a new fork on the next ride.

---

EC70 said:
I'll meet you guys up at skeggs anytime and we can shuttle.
Shuttle is the "S" word for the Harpo-nator. The man climbs like a monkey with a lightsaber shoved up it's ass. The rest of us humans struggle to bust out climbs, while Harpo literally "laps" us - going from the lead to last place back to the lead, just to keep his legs warm.

I hear a lot of people shuttle over at Auburn - there's an OHV park the DH / Freerider guys like to hit. There are are pair of ~1000 foot climbs, to deal with but it's a gentle climb - a lot like Soquel.

Rock gardens, DH chutes, technical singletrack, jumps, a tunnel - Auburn has a little bit of everything :) Miles of downhill singletrack strung together allow you to just build momentum - good stuff :)

MrCrash907 said:
Shuttle is the "S" word for the Harpo-nator. The man climbs like a monkey with a lightsaber shoved up it's ass. The rest of us humans struggle to bust out climbs, while Harpo literally "laps" us - going from the lead to last place back to the lead, just to keep his legs warm. :)
Dude, I have to be a climber, ...'cause if I wasn't that would leave me too much extra time on my hands to do nothing but go down the hills, ...... which in turn would probably end be a rapid course to my demise.:wow

Besides, too much competition going down them hills.;)

I'll follow you down 'em and you follow me up 'em. Deal???

hey harpo-nator: check out the Marzocchi MX's over at http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories-True.htm . Really good prices on dem and Marzocchi's will give Fox a run for their money any day. Air/oil is the way to go regardless of what you get though, the action is buttery smooth compared to the spring/oil bath stuff.

Don't bother rebuilding your fork unless you really REALLY like it. It'll end up costing you easily over $100 to do it right (been there, done that. Still have the tools to rebuild my marzocchi but I really REALLY like it :))

Auburn is way to far for me to go and I will be tied up until after the holidays so you guys have fun for me. I'll be sure to be out there again after the new years, unless you're up for some weekday morning riding (Calvin, ...?)

Ya know, I'm gonna be in Sacramento for Christmas - I figure I can just go ride Auburn then.

Anyone game for China Camp on Saturday? Frontside, top, backside, and to the front again. The earlier, the better.

As far cheap forks, I found several used Marzocchi Marathon forks on eBay for really good prices.

squidhunter said:
I wonder how strict the enforcement will be....

So its ok for the cars I see up there to drive around, but not mountainbikes??:wtf

email those guys. use my text, if you like. Take out the handicap part...

I would like to thank the State Parks for all the work they have done to suggest expanded mountain biking at Nisene Marks State Park. Thank you for supporting mountain biking for the last 15 years at the park and for defending shared-use trails.
Please appeal the Sacramento Superior Court ruling that would limit mountain biking at the park.
As a bicyclist with a handicap that disallows me from much hiking, I personally value these trails and appreciate the opportunity to experience nature by riding at Nisene Marks.
These trails are shared harmoniously by bikers and hikers. The impacts of hiking and biking to be similar and that mountain biking is a legitimate, low-impact, human powered sport that is compatible with other trail users. I dare say, biking has less of a trial impact than hiking. Furthermore, bicyclists are providing labor to help maintain these trails.
Mountain biking is a popular sport in California with 5.2 million participants last year. Many of your constituents are mountain bikers and many more oppose this closure than support it.

The funny thing here is, we are really talking about one trail and one dirt road that is used to access the Soquel Demonstration Forest. As our representatives, please represent us by supporting an appeal the Sacramento Superior Court ruling that would limit mountain biking at the park.

Hyperlite said:
I'll be sure to be out there again after the new years, unless you're up for some weekday morning riding (Calvin, ...?)

Dude, yeah, give me a call dude! I can ride tomorrow morning (thursday). I rode twice this week already, I'm feelin good!

Everyone else rides tooooo damn early on the weekends, don't you know the rest of us hooligans party late fri/sat night, thus making it impossible to be in the east bay by 8:30 am!! :twofinger

Back