• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Greetings, all. I don't mean to hijack, but wondering if you folks can help me. I've decided to pick up a cheap mountain bike or hybrid and I am seeking recommendations. My requirements are that it be capable of doing dirt trails and pavement reasonably well. No hardcore offroading needed. Also, I am a bit of a fatty (hence the need for the bike). I'm 5'11" and have a 31" inseam. I live in Pacifica and would love to hit all of the little trails and paths we have here.

Being unemployed currently, I am really looking for something that I can pick up cheap. Used is obviously the way to go, and any recommendations or suggestions that you have would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Aaron

The Wahoo was my first MTB. A pretty solid bike for the price. The frame geometry was very confidence inspiring. Even raced it a couple times. Don't buy below a deore level component group though. Acera and alivio aren't up to more aggressive riding.

I had gotten a mongoose switchback for free, put some new tires on it, and now I am starting to ride. I did 4 miles today and I enjoyed it. I guess it is time I do it more often. I haven't ridden much since I was a child and then I was a big time rider.

Anyone ride around Vallejo. I am out of shape, but what to get into shape.

:thumbup

Joanne

Last edited:
The Wahoo was my first MTB. A pretty solid bike for the price. The frame geometry was very confidence inspiring. Even raced it a couple times. Don't buy below a deore level component group though. Acera and alivio aren't up to more aggressive riding.

Great feedback. Unfortunately, I really don't want to dip into savings and I am not ever going to be serious enough to spend more than a few hundred on a bike. What I'm really looking for is a solid mountain bike or hybrid that I can pick up for $150 or less. I know that is not the level of bike that most of you are familiar with, but I've seen a lot of Treks and Specialized bikes on CL in that price range. Unfortunately, I don't know which ones are good or bad and I wouldn't really know what to look for when examining a bike. I'm working on some research to give me more of a clue, but figured I would post here anyway to see if any of you had any recommendations for entry level bikes. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Heading up next weekend for the Gypsy race :)

Me too, but will not be racing. :party
Made reservations a couple months ago for opening weekend. Woulda cost us more to re-book so we went anyway.. Never been there before so it was nice to check it out with smaller crowds....And to get away.
Had a blast riding what little was open.. Ate shit on the last big jump on Live Wire on my last ride down it:rofl Feel like I got hit by a car..Rode for another couple hours after..Payin' for it now:party
Snow is melting fast up there so ya'll should be havin' some fun next weekend I hope:thumbup
Gonna go again next month:cool

I just got back from Whistler... rode six of eight days. I did Dyna Mo Hum! I missed out on Anal Intruder and Comfortably Numb and many other great trails...

Story to follow.

David put this together:
http://vholdr.com/video/whistler-mt-biking-june-5-2010
Nice..
I wanna get up there sooo bad.. Probably won't make it until next year:(

Ate shit on the last big jump on Live Wire on my last ride down it:rofl Feel like I got hit by a car..Rode for another couple hours after..Payin' for it now:party
Thanks for the first hand report. So Livewire was open? :party What else was open?

Great feedback. Unfortunately, I really don't want to dip into savings and I am not ever going to be serious enough to spend more than a few hundred on a bike. What I'm really looking for is a solid mountain bike or hybrid that I can pick up for $150 or less. I know that is not the level of bike that most of you are familiar with, but I've seen a lot of Treks and Specialized bikes on CL in that price range. Unfortunately, I don't know which ones are good or bad and I wouldn't really know what to look for when examining a bike. I'm working on some research to give me more of a clue, but figured I would post here anyway to see if any of you had any recommendations for entry level bikes. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Get a wahoo if u can find one. I can vouche for it as not only a sturdy but fun bike. Used you should be able to find one in your range. Mine was 350 brand new. the components weren't great but they worked well enough.

Get a wahoo if u can find one. I can vouche for it as not only a sturdy but fun bike. Used you should be able to find one in your range. Mine was 350 brand new. the components weren't great but they worked well enough.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a Wahoo.

Made reservations a couple months ago for opening weekend. Woulda cost us more to re-book so we went anyway.. Never been there before so it was nice to check it out with smaller crowds....And to get away.
Had a blast riding what little was open.. Ate shit on the last big jump on Live Wire on my last ride down it:rofl Feel like I got hit by a car..Rode for another couple hours after..Payin' for it now:party
Snow is melting fast up there so ya'll should be havin' some fun next weekend I hope:thumbup
Gonna go again next month:cool

Glad you had a blast!!

Were the LiveWire berms still filled with HUGE potholes?

I'm heading up Friday morning for 3days of riding & racing:teeth

Thanks for the first hand report. So Livewire was open? :party What else was open?
Lower part of Live Wire only. From the water towers. They were using trucks to shuttle us up there. Thought that was reall cool of them to do:thumbup

Glad you had a blast!!

Were the LiveWire berms still filled with HUGE potholes?

I'm heading up Friday morning for 3days of riding & racing:teeth
Berms were pretty nice. They're workin' their butt's off up there.
All the employee's are talking positively about next weeks race.. We got there Friday 'bout 5:30 and by the time we left Sunday you could really tell how much snow melted..
Good Luck with the race:thumbup
Wish I could go back this weekend.. I can barely walk right now though:laughing
BTW: they are taking votes on where to put a bike wash station on their website.Click the web pole box http://tahoemountainbiking.ning.com/

Took my first mtn trail yesterday at Coyote Hills in Fremont. The first steep downhill is insane. Reminded me of the Top Gun roller coaster.

Was thinking about going up Tahoe for some trails. Anyone been to Kirkwood?

I started riding (many years ago) at Coyote Hills too. I still send beginners there. If you think anything at Coyote hills is insane, just wait... just wait. Welcome to the hobby!

Been doing it for a while now you know Superbikes are love of my life but mtb is great workout, great for your spirit and stamina...me and my budd we ride gg park and other trails in the bay hwy 9 etc...lots of fun

I started riding (many years ago) at Coyote Hills too. I still send beginners there. If you think anything at Coyote hills is insane, just wait... just wait. Welcome to the hobby!

Ya gotta admit, the drop on that "kinda trail" from the radio tower to the fire road near the quarry is pretty sketchy :)

Took my first mtn trail yesterday at Coyote Hills in Fremont. The first steep downhill is insane. Reminded me of the Top Gun roller coaster.

Was thinking about going up Tahoe for some trails. Anyone been to Kirkwood?

Went to kirkwood a few years ago. I was very tame compared to northstar.

Only did northstar once. Most trails were a little too much for me.

Went to kirkwood a few years ago. I was very tame compared to northstar.

Only did northstar once. Most trails were a little too much for me.

Speaking of N*, ...
I've got the perfect bike for sale for some short dude to conquer that place.
Size small Sunday for sale. Any vertically challenged people need an awesome DH bike???

Check this bad boy out
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1800069785.html

nice bike. too small and more than I can afford :x

Im in the market for a bike. Looking for a large XC full suspension on a budget.

mostly looking at older Santa Cruz Hecklers.

Might just build up my Hardtail for now.

Back