• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Hey guys I am heading to Yosemite next week and wanted to know if anyone has shredded any trails out there and what to expect?

Thanks

Hey guys I am heading to Yosemite next week and wanted to know if anyone has shredded any trails out there and what to expect?

Thanks
As far as I know (and I don't profess to be that smart) and I have been to Yosemite a ton, ... once inside the park itself, mtn biking is almost completely NONexistant.

Try and do some searching in the surrounding towns outside the the park.

Oh, and also if I'm not mistaken (again, could be talking out my ass) and you decide to say "F#$% IT" and ride within the boundaries and get caught by a ranger, ... it is a Federal Offense. :(

thanks for the info, I had no real plans to go all out just wanted to see some trails. I will most likely end up doing a bunch of hiking and hoping to get up half dome via the cables.

I am heading up on Monday so I don't think the crowds will be that bad and will be testing out my new hat cam

thanks for the info, I had no real plans to go all out just wanted to see some trails. I will most likely end up doing a bunch of hiking and hoping to get up half dome via the cables.

I am heading up on Monday so I don't think the crowds will be that bad and will be testing out my new hat cam

I think you only need a pass/permit to get up the cables on the weekend but you better call the park (or internet) and make sure.

I made it up twice 2 years ago, one after right rotator cuff surgery and one after left rotator cuff surgery.

Hard to notice but one arm is in a sling and I still couldn't wait for that god forsaken slow-a$$ crowd so I went around all of them on the outside of the cables. LOFL :laughing :laughing

Half the people called me an a$$hole and the other half were hooting and hollering that I still had the balls to do it. :teeth

Attachments

• Half Dome2smaller.jpg
    Half Dome2smaller.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Half Dome3.jpg
    Half Dome3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
yeah in Yosemite Valley you can not take your bike off the pavement. Pretty sure permits are only a problem during the weekend, Wife did half dome 2 weeks ago.

I think you only need a pass/permit to get up the cables on the weekend but you better call the park (or internet) and make sure.

I made it up twice 2 years ago, one after right rotator cuff surgery and one after left rotator cuff surgery.

Hard to notice but one arm is in a sling and I still couldn't wait for that god forsaken slow-a$$ crowd so I went around all of them on the outside of the cables. LOFL :laughing :laughing

Half the people called me an a$$hole and the other half were hooting and hollering that I still had the balls to do it. :teeth

I remember your pictures that's one of the reasons for trying it
It looks like a great time and i will share my pictures next week

the dent is from one of the cables getting pinched between the head tube and the ground. Its only a few MM deep in the shape of a cable. its not near the headset. more in the middle. where the head tube meets the top tube.

non issue

Yes 2005.

Got the triad. its a med so a little on the small side. Next payday I will call you about some upgrades.

Yes 2005.

Got the triad. its a med so a little on the small side. Next payday I will call you about some upgrades.

That said, not sure about the fork you got on the bike but other than that you got a really solid rig. Stumpys are a seriously solid, do it all bike and I really do like the Triad. Mazoltov :teeth

Also sent you a PM.

Random note:
If anybody has a line on a decent 120-140 travel XC/AM rig, drop me a PM. I've been looking in particular for either a Giant Trance or an Ibis Mojo. Size Medium, I'm 5'7"-135.
As much as I like the balls-to-the-wall descent stuff, I like being able to peddle my local trails.

Thanks,
Jake

Random note:
If anybody has a line on a decent 120-140 travel XC/AM rig, drop me a PM. I've been looking in particular for either a Giant Trance or an Ibis Mojo. Size Medium, I'm 5'7"-135.
As much as I like the balls-to-the-wall descent stuff, I like being able to peddle my local trails.

With 140mm of travel, my balls aren't that far from the wall :) I am SO LOVING my Mojo right now!

With 140mm of travel, my balls aren't that far from the wall :) I am SO LOVING my Mojo right now!

I demoed one for 2 days in Park City: Love at first site/jump/manual/crash/berm. I want one, bad. But my bank balance says no. I'm busily pawning off the contents of my garage to afford one. Anyone need an XR600 project? :teeth

Any hints toward a great Trail bike would be appreciated.

I demoed one for 2 days in Park City: Love at first site/jump/manual/crash/berm. I want one, bad. But my bank balance says no. I'm busily pawning off the contents of my garage to afford one. Anyone need an XR600 project? :teeth

Any hints toward a great Trail bike would be appreciated.

Forget the D@$% trail bike, .... What you need is a Glory :teeth

Attachments

• IMG_2492 lowres.jpg
    IMG_2492 lowres.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 63
HOW WIDE ARE YOUR HANDLEBARS??

I realize I'm posting in the mostly DH / ALL Mtn thread with my hardtail XC bike, but here goes:

I just got a BikeFit done by http://www.svcyclingcenter.com/
for my Bday :party

The Handlebar and stem were changed, and now I'm trying out a standard 27" wide bar which apparently is on the shorter end of bar choices...

I've only done one ride so far and it feels like I'm riding a widebar Harley, because I had cut down my previous bar to 22.25" wide !!

Comments?

I realize I'm posting in the mostly DH / ALL Mtn thread with my hardtail XC bike, but here goes:

I just got a BikeFit done by http://www.svcyclingcenter.com/
for my Bday :party

The Handlebar and stem were changed, and now I'm trying out a standard 27" wide bar which apparently is on the shorter end of bar choices...

I've only done one ride so far and it feels like I'm riding a widebar Harley, because I had cut down my previous bar to 22.25" wide !!

Comments?
27 is plenty wide for most folks. 22.25 is ridicules (old school for mtn. bike racers) unless you are 3 ft tall. I run 27 on my Nomad (and hell, I'm only 4 ft tall :twofinger ) and 28 on my DH bike. Any wider on an xc/am bike and you're gonna have trouble getting through some tight stuff here and there. Compared to the 22.25 though, you are going to have a ton more stability and balance. :thumbup

Back