• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I chop mine down to 27" for freeriding, seems to be a pretty good balance. Tried to do the 30" thing and hated it.

I chop mine down to 27" for freeriding, seems to be a pretty good balance. Tried to do the 30" thing and hated it.
Not sure how tall you are or what your arm reach is like but I think overall (IMHO) If you go too wide you cross the line from extra stability into struggling to keep your arm stretched out too far to actually stay on the bar. I'm with you. 27inch seems to work pretty well most places and I think the only reason the 28 feels really good on the DH bike is just because it weighs 44+ pounds and the head angle is so slack the a little extra leverage just feels right. :thumbup

Handlebars

DH bike: 27.5" bars
AM bike: 27"
XC bike: currently 25" switching to 27"

The wider bars just feel better all around

Last edited:
Question for the crown about Trek Fuel XC/Trail bikes:
The geometry has something called Virtual Pivot Point. I don't know what that is and I don't really care. I was thrown off because the "Virtual frame size" is one inch less than the actual frame size so a 18.5" is also a 17.5"??? Insight?

I am headed to Kirkwood with family at the end of the month; gonna sneak away to get in some runs for some xc - was wondering what BARFers thought of it up there?

btw - I ride a 2009 Force GT 2.0 stock

I went a few years ago. got a lift ticket. even the hardest trail was very easy on a XC bike.

hope they stepped it up?

Derpin in Mammoth

OQMfc.jpg

:wow

hope the brakes are working!

I have not done any DH riding, of that caliber, looks like fun :teeth

Altitude? trail length?

:wow

hope the brakes are working!

I have not done any DH riding, of that caliber, looks like fun :teeth

Altitude? trail length?

Pic is from 10K ft. Considering the drive I probably wouldn't go again just to MTB. Theres a bunch of trails but fun jumps , drops etc are few and far between. Its mostly just loose kitty litter sand and rocks. Big brakes are a must as there are some long , steep , and loose fire road esqe trails that you can FLY down from the top.

Helmet cam footage soon :cool

Well I ended my internal debate by plonking down far too much money on a bike that is far too nice for my (in)abilities.

2011 Ibis Mojo SL in Eddy Orange on the way.
X9 2x10 build, Avid brakes, Ibis wheels w/Stan's rims so I can run tubeless, I'm still debating about whether or not to get a Joplin adjustable seatpost. Fox Talas 110-140 front fork and RP23 on the back.

The build is supposed to be more trail and XC oriented than DH but with the long travel legs to deal with whatever i around the corner. I'll be racing the bike in an East Coast college XC series in the fall.

I'm getting the bike shipped out of state so I saved on sales tax and because they are discontinuing the mojo, Ibis is discounting the SL frames 150 bucks.

All in all, just psyched to go ride.

Congrats on the Mojo. Nice bikes.
Definitely get an adjustable post..
Joplin is sketchy from what I understand. One of the worst supposedly.
I have a KS 900i that has been pretty good but they also have their problems.
I'd wait and see how the Reverb from Sram/Rock Shox turns out..

Helmet cam action from Mammoth trip. (goto youtube for HD)

[youtube]keOWse8kA4c[/youtube]

^^

Sweet lookin' rigs:)

Since when did you become an xc climbing machine:p

When are you coming back to visit the US?

OOoo what an awesome thread I've stumbled upon!

Good timing too; I was wondering if anyone had any trail suggestions in South Lake Tahoe. I'm going to be up there for labor day weekend, and I've been interwebs searching and book browsing for some trail suggestions but would LOVE some feedback from anyone that's actually been!

I've been mtbing since last year, I have a sweet Cannondale hardtail, and I ride Santa Teresa Park 4-5 times a week. I live for the climb up Bernal, am only slightly petrified when going downhill and enjoy long walks on the beach.

Anyone got any feedback? Heard that the Powerline Loop trail is a nice moderate level start, but is there anything slightly similar to the trails at STP?

Last edited:
Back