• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

:thumbup
That is a long course.

The course is basically the Sticks n Stones race (plus the Tahoe and East Ridge trail from the summit of Mt Pluto)

Kurt: Your knee looks very much like mine -- I'm hoping it isn't as bad:(

i'm not gonna make it this weekend. the knee is okay mobility wise, but i have a big ass dent in my kneecap and if anything touches it, it hurts like hell.. gonna let it try to heal a bit more before i attempt to ride n* again. if i were to crash on it again, i'm pretty sure my patella would fracture.

i'm not gonna make it this weekend. the knee is okay mobility wise, but i have a big ass dent in my kneecap and if anything touches it, it hurts like hell.. gonna let it try to heal a bit more before i attempt to ride n* again. if i were to crash on it again, i'm pretty sure my patella would fracture.

I think you've got a bone bruise, just like my knee. Go get it checked to make sure the patella isn't fractured. Can you extend your knee from a sitting position? Mine was severely bruised. I first injured it late May, it never fully healed, even when I re-injured it early Sept, then landed on it two more times Boondocks race weekend.:cry

Yes, even with kneeguards on it still hurts. A bone bruise makes it really tender to touch and with each impact the pain just gets worse.

When I went to see my Doc, the MRI confirmed prepatellar bursitis. He basically told me that I can ride, "Just don't land on it!!":p:rolleyes

The swelling has finally gone down, but the ligaments still act up from time to time -- hurts like hell when it happens, but goes away immediately.

Does your knee stiffen up and make it difficult to bend?

Unfortunately, bone bruises take months to heal.

I won't be going up for R4T this weekend. Racing and the risk of re-injury isn't worth it. Plus, I already won the championship:party

Instead, I'm gonna stick with something more "mellow" like Ashland :)

Last edited:
yeah my knee feels great mobility wise. i can do everything and nothing hurts. it doesnt hurt at all really unless i physically bump my knee cap. i can bend, jump, run etc..

i'm kinda freakin out about the actual dent in it.. its like i have a hole in my kneecap. its RIGHT where my pad got messed up too, the same spot where the fabric is torn is where the dent in my knee is.

ive had a bone bruise before.. and yeah it took about 4 months for it to not be tender. i'm hoping this is not the case with my knee although it probably is.

yeah my knee feels great mobility wise. i can do everything and nothing hurts. it doesnt hurt at all really unless i physically bump my knee cap. i can bend, jump, run etc..

i'm kinda freakin out about the actual dent in it.. its like i have a hole in my kneecap. its RIGHT where my pad got messed up too, the same spot where the fabric is torn is where the dent in my knee is.

ive had a bone bruise before.. and yeah it took about 4 months for it to not be tender. i'm hoping this is not the case with my knee although it probably is.

You'll live , I pwned my knee on a rock at Mammoth through my knee pad (there was a dent in the pad plastic) Tissue is still sensitive to this day but its mostly fine. Thing I hate most about knee injuries is that ones you muck em up even a small bump makes em flare up... I just grabbed some new pads for park riding made by pro designed , they're custom fit and massive but I can jump up and land straight on my knees and not feel a thing. Might be something to consider for those bigger hucks? I have a history of knee abuse , fortunate nothing requiring surgery.

Last edited:
I just grabbed some new pads for park riding made by pro designed , they're custom fit and massive but I can jump up and land straight on my knees and not feel a thing. Might be something to consider for those bigger hucks? I have a history of knee abuse , fortunate nothing requiring surgery.

Linky please:)

Sounds like something I need..

Does anyone know anybody who needs / wants a XC bike ?

$2000 for BARFers and Friends:

MY Specialized S-Works Epic ('05 black ano) Everything, but the frame/fork/brake system is brand new take-offs transferred from a *brand new* Scott Genius 10 carbon full sus. (just the brake system/frame/fork would amount to my asking price new) She would make an awesome XC, AM setup.

Part List

[Medium] Specialized S-works Epic frame w/ carbon link (has the brain)
Chris King 1 1/8 threadless headset
Rock Shox - Reba Carbon World Cup forks (these retail $1100+... CARBON crown/steerer)
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost (MASTERPIECE! You can even be hipster on a MTB)
Syncros saddle
Scott grips / handlebars / stem
DT Swiss X35 wheels - anod. red nipples, black spokes, white DTswiss hubs (these come stock on the Scott Genius 10 carbon All-Mountain completes)
SLX crankset (BRAND NEW and nice)
XT rapidfire shifters
XTR front derail. (Dura Ace of mountain bike componentry)
XT rear derail.
Avid Juicy carbon hydraulic brakes (CARBON BRAKE LEVERS!)
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires (very nice all-terrain tires)

d0724efc.jpg

IMG_7701.jpg

5856_787349553053_3216021_44889581_-1.jpg

61969_966034571843_3216021_51534782_2739704_n.jpg

5856_787349597963_3216021_44889588_-1.jpg

WTB -- Suspension components

Figure this would be a good place to post. Do you have any MTB suspension bits collecting dust?

I'm looking for a Fox RP23 7.875 x 2.25 and a Fox Talas 36 160mm. Anything model year 2008+ (cheap :teeth ). I'm finding parts on eBay but they are asking too much for old/abused parts.

WTB -- Suspension components

Figure this would be a good place to post. Do you have any MTB suspension bits collecting dust?

I'm looking for a Fox RP23 7.875 x 2.25 and a Fox Talas 36 160mm. Anything model year 2008+ (cheap :teeth ). I'm finding parts on eBay but they are asking too much for old/abused parts.
Ah Ha, .... I know what your problem is, .....
"Cheap" doesn't belong in the same sentence as RP23 or Talas. :rofl

N* Sunday?.. Weather supposed to be good..65..
J-

Don't get home from work 'til 1am. Saturday is no bueno..

northstar was the most epic conditions ive ever seen this weekend. super tacky dirt, no dust.. super smooth berms, lips, jumps.... i might have to go closing weekend just cause the trail conditions are SO bomb.

oh noes!

ohno.jpg

Jesse: Thanks for the link :)
Butch: How are ya :wave
Kurt: :wtf I wanna see the rest of the vid :p

Back