• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

northstar was the most epic conditions ive ever seen this weekend. super tacky dirt, no dust.. super smooth berms, lips, jumps.... i might have to go closing weekend just cause the trail conditions.
:thumbup
It was awsome yesterday:cool
Wish I could go next weekend:(

Attachments

• Fox 36.1.jpg
    Fox 36.1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Fox 36.2.jpg
    Fox 36.2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
This thread made me think about a really good friend and an amazing rider that passed away at the Otter Classic. His name is Mark Reynolds and he was the owner/founder of Wicked Racin. He designed a true dual-ring chain guide system that allows you to run 2 main rings and still have a chain guide system that prevented chain drops 100%. It is the only dual ring guide on the market and its really the shit!! We still have some of his Dualraillures, roller plates, and alot of bashguards ready to ship out, so If any of you are looking for a chain system or parts for one and want to keep a 2ring setup, please feel free to PM me. All the proceeds will be added to the current memorial fund in his name. We are still trying to get a bike park cleared through different locations, and thats what the fund will go to. Another thing the family has been looking into is sponsoring a young rider to compete in the next Sea Otter Classic, along with the complete wicked racin system. If you are interested in either please feel free to contact me. The web site is currently down because we didnt have anybody to do the IT stuff to keep it going, but If you knew Mark or had any contact with him on the trails, please feel free to email me your stories and I can give them to his family. He loved riding mountain bikes and was activly was found tearring up UCSC, DEMO, THE MAN TRAIL, Brail, and soo many more!
RIP Mark and know we think about you daily Bro! :rip:Port

Attachments

• Mark - Wicked Racin.jpg
    Mark - Wicked Racin.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 66
  • Planter12 copy.jpg
    Planter12 copy.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 68
  • FinalDropShadowLogowwwv2 copy.jpg
    FinalDropShadowLogowwwv2 copy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 65
Kurt: :wtf I wanna see the rest of the vid :p

Details on that vid or fail

Dude, I fly off that ramp, .... I can't even imagine how fast you were going!! What happened!

Ditto that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahah... There were supposed to be two of my friends, but one chickened out at the end and didn't join in on the fun.

Link to the vid here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/164674/

I'm going to N* Sunday... last day of the season :cry:

Last edited:
one of the last runs of the day before the rain came down... i guess everyone wanted a piece of livewire.. even those who dunno what they are doing!

[youtube]ne8jYSw6W3g[/youtube]

now i didnt stop cause i had just passed about 6 people + his friend in the blue jacket as well.. no need to clog the trail and the crash didnt seem life threatening..

so yeah, i'm a bad person, flame on!

one of the last runs of the day before the rain came down... i guess everyone wanted a piece of livewire.. even those who dunno what they are doing!

Maybe he crashed on some of Harpo's spooge from his crash there the day before. Look familiar yet Harpo?

If you thought Sunday was crowded, be glad you weren't there Saturday. Sunday was a ghost town compared to Saturday when it was like being at a concert with looooong lines on both lifts. Great weekend all around though!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure since its the Mtn Bike thread it should be fitting. Anyhow, I bought Motobecane Fantom several years ago and rode it only a few times. I want to start riding it more often now, but don't know much about the maintenance and for some reason I cannot get the brakes to work well-disc brakes.

Would appreciate it if anyone would be open to help adjust the brakes and just give me a quick tutorial on getting the bike in riding condition.

I'm in Mtn View.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure since its the Mtn Bike thread it should be fitting. Anyhow, I bought Motobecane Fantom several years ago and rode it only a few times. I want to start riding it more often now, but don't know much about the maintenance and for some reason I cannot get the brakes to work well-disc brakes.

Would appreciate it if anyone would be open to help adjust the brakes and just give me a quick tutorial on getting the bike in riding condition.

I'm in Mtn View.

Thanks!

If you can't find someone closer and you want to drive out to Lafayette with your bike I'm sure I can help you sort it out. Just let me know.
Joe

I'm in Mtn View.

Thanks!

Most importantly, what kind of brakes are they? Brand and type. If you're not sure, post a pic of the levers and calipers.

Most importantly, what kind of brakes are they? Brand and type. If you're not sure, post a pic of the levers and calipers.

Ah, that would help. The brand on the calipers says "Promax." I believe they are cheap calipers. Sorry about the crappy dark iPhone pic.

Front
IMG_0105.jpg

Rear
IMG_0106.jpg

Ah, that would help. The brand on the calipers says "Promax." I believe they are cheap calipers. Sorry about the crappy dark iPhone pic.

That definitely helps. Cable actuated disc brakes are easy to work on and adjust.

So what happens when you pull the brake levers? Do you see the calipers move? Is it just that they don't move enough to make the brakes actuate powerfully enough?

I'm not familiar with the ProMax brakes, but there may be an adjustment knob on the caliper. If not, you'll have to use the barrel adjuster on the lever. If there's not enough adjustment there, you'll have to pull some cable where it's screwed down on the caliper. You may also want to check that your pads aren't too worn out.

If you want to bring it down to Santa Clara during the day, I can take a close look at it and give you some tips. You can PM me if you want to bring it down.

That definitely helps. Cable actuated disc brakes are easy to work on and adjust.

So what happens when you pull the brake levers? Do you see the calipers move? Is it just that they don't move enough to make the brakes actuate powerfully enough?

I'm not familiar with the ProMax brakes, but there may be an adjustment knob on the caliper. If not, you'll have to use the barrel adjuster on the lever. If there's not enough adjustment there, you'll have to pull some cable where it's screwed down on the caliper. You may also want to check that your pads aren't too worn out.

If you want to bring it down to Santa Clara during the day, I can take a close look at it and give you some tips. You can PM me if you want to bring it down.

Actually several things happen and its either/or (i've adjusted from both the barrel and caliper)
1) I have to squeeze the brake lever like crazy to get minimal braking performance
2) The wheels drag on the brake pads

I've tried many adjustments to both the caliper and barrel, but for some odd reason just can't get it to perform optimally. The pads shouldn't be worn out since I haven't really ridden it since purchasing it new.

I'll shoot you a PM tmr regarding your offer to help :thumbup

If you can't find someone closer and you want to drive out to Lafayette with your bike I'm sure I can help you sort it out. Just let me know.
Joe

Thanks!

btw~ is that a pic of your leg in your sig? what happened?

Back