• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

naw... i'm retired from sport bikes. 1:55's at thunderhill are good enough for me. i survived for 9 years doing crazy stuff at super high speeds...

riding downhill is more challenging and more fun to me. a lot cheaper too.

naw... i'm retired from sport bikes. 1:55's at thunderhill are good enough for me. i survived for 9 years doing crazy stuff at super high speeds...

riding downhill is more challenging and more fun to me. a lot cheaper too.

Shit, not to me! I use to break parts left and right on the dh bike. :rofl

Moto was far cheaper. Not to mention all the $$$ I saved commuting. 18mpg vs 35-40.

Not even a SuMo? :teeth

hahaa.. not even a sumo.. i dont have any desire to ride on the street anymore with other cars.

plus... this kinda shiz is more fun :p

demod6.jpg

plus... this kinda shiz is more fun :p

True... that is pretty fun.
I broke so much shit that when I come home in August I have 400 dollars set aside to fix and replace broken parts over a 2 month period. :cool

I tried SuMo once. And I think about it every day... Help.

New rider looking to ride

Hey Barfers,

I recently got back into cycling and purchased a road and mountain bike (will post pics later). So...I live in Tracy and was wondering where there may be some trails to go ride. Last time I rode was when I lived in San Jose and used to go to skyline and Highway 9.

Lets go do some riding. let me know

Fern.

Hey Barfers,

I recently got back into cycling and purchased a road and mountain bike (will post pics later). So...I live in Tracy and was wondering where there may be some trails to go ride. Last time I rode was when I lived in San Jose and used to go to skyline and Highway 9.

Lets go do some riding. let me know

Fern.
Tracy? Not many fun "legal" trails out that way that I know of. I'm sure there some stuff east of there in the Sierra foothills, but I don't know of any. Harpo should be able to tell you where to go on Mt. Diablo. You will most likely find yourself driving a bit for decent MTB trails. Sorry I'm not much help.

Shit, not to me! I use to break parts left and right on the dh bike. :rofl

Moto was far cheaper. Not to mention all the $$$ I saved commuting. 18mpg vs 35-40.

Not even a SuMo? :teeth

Moto is cheaper , bike parts are retardedly expensive in comparison. Shit my MTB tires are easily as much $$ as for my dirt bike... Tards are the way to go on the street , the hills are in my back yard so don't really have to deal with traffic.

Moto is cheaper , bike parts are retardedly expensive in comparison. Shit my MTB tires are easily as much $$ as for my dirt bike... Tards are the way to go on the street , the hills are in my back yard so don't really have to deal with traffic.

Tards or fighters ftw

Traffic on a bike was always fun for me. I dont know why everyone says "I stopped riding because I value my life" After T-Boning a S-10 at 50mph I have a new outlook on commuting. Tuck'n'Roll!!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone ride a frame that uses a BB90 bottom bracket? I have an FSA ceramic BB90 kit that I have no use for (brand new, never mounted)

Now im torn. Do I road bike or do i mountain bike? ive been looking at road bikes but the more im seeing mountain bikes the more i wanna try that first.

im new to all of this. and when i think about it i do much rather prefer hiking in the woods then staying on the road.

i moved to pescadero and im wanting to pick up a hobby.

any suggestions for me when looking for a mountain bike? i fit a road bike between 52-55cm. my price range is between 300-500. can i find something decent? Whats a good brand to look for? any help or suggestions would be great appreciated!

Now im torn. Do I road bike or do i mountain bike? ive been looking at road bikes but the more im seeing mountain bikes the more i wanna try that first.

im new to all of this. and when i think about it i do much rather prefer hiking in the woods then staying on the road.

any suggestions for me when looking for a mountain bike? i fit a road bike between 52-55cm. my price range is between 300-500. can i find something decent? Whats a good brand to look for? any help or suggestions would be great appreciated!

The suggestion is, make friends with a semi knowledgable - knowledgable bike rider / bike mechanic. There are just too many bikes that are awesome to start throwing out brand names. That said, if you're looking for a bike with suspension, even a bike with a great brand name can be in real crappy shape and if you're not mechanical you'll have no clue what to look for.

Better idea is borrow or rent a bike first and see if you even like like it. Oh, that said, wait for nicer weather. it's F@#$EN miserable out there for bikin' right now. (I'm sure I'll get arguments about that from all the masochists out there, Mikey :>)~

Good luck

Last edited:
The suggestion is, make friends with a semi knowledgable - knowledgable bike rider / bike mechanic. There are just too many bikes that are awesome to start throwing out brand names. That said, if you're looking for a bike with suspension, even a bike with a great brand name can be in real crappy shape and if you're not mechanical you'll have no clue what to look for.

Better idea is borrow or rent a bike first and see if you even like like it. Oh, that said, wait for nicer weather. it's F@#$EN miserable out there for bikin' right now. (I'm sure I'll get arguments about that from all the masochists out there, Mikey :>)~

Good luck

You are absolutely correct! I would have NO idea what to look for. Thanks for the advice. Ill look into renting and see how that goes. And was actually given some contact info today for someone who is really knowledgeable with this sort of stuff so ill start there.

Also wouldnt rainy weather make mountain biking more fun? it stopped for acouple of hours today and got sunny :p

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct! Also wouldnt rainy weather make mountain biking more fun? it stopped for acouple of hours today and got sunny :p

a) Mud is no fun
b) Riding in it DESTROYS the trails

a) Mud is no fun
b) Riding in it DESTROYS the trails

Riding in mud is great fun even if it is hard on the drive-train. It is true that some trails can be damaged if you ride them in the rain, but not all of them. It really depends on the soil type.

I would go with the mountain bike instead of the road bike. 1st - the geometry of a road bike is brutal if you are just getting in shape or have any shoulder issues, 2nd - mountain bikers are cool and road bikers are pricks :laughing. Not always true, but surprising how often them folks take themselves very seriously. 3rd - Mountain bikes are huge fun and more versatile.:thumbup

I've been riding my mountain bike 15 ~ 20 miles a day when it's not raining out. It's been fantastic and is the best exercise.:thumbup

Back