• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I'm with Curt on street riding, but 55's are different when racing.
Like rippin live wire alone or with 3 others.

What do you guys use for lights? I was thinking about trying night rides, but I don't really want to shell out $200+ for a nice LED light right now...

I was looking into the Magicshine one that's like $80, but now it has a recall about the battery exploding or something

Now im torn. Do I road bike or do i mountain bike? ive been looking at road bikes but the more im seeing mountain bikes the more i wanna try that first.

I switched to Mountain biking after road biking for a while... and I can tell you from my experience that Mountain biking is MUCH more fun.

The two definitely are very different. Would you rather ride in a straight line for miles and miles until your crotch ignites on fire... or would you rather ride down a mountain and on terrain that isn't just the same flat asphalt over and over

I switched to Mountain biking after road biking for a while... and I can tell you from my experience that Mountain biking is MUCH more fun.

The two definitely are very different. Would you rather ride in a straight line for miles and miles until your crotch ignites on fire... or would you rather ride down a mountain and on terrain that isn't just the same flat asphalt over and over

After looking over this thread and seeing pictures im pretty sure im convinced i wanna do mountain biking. i get bored easily so going in a straight line and just constantly thinking about how tired i am i know ill psych myself out.

but doing something that requires perhaps more thinking? and a constant change might be what im looking for. :) so ive changed my mind. mountain biking it is.

and no id like to keep my crotch fire free :thumbup

Last edited:
What do you guys use for lights? I was thinking about trying night rides, but I don't really want to shell out $200+ for a nice LED light right now...

I was looking into the Magicshine one that's like $80, but now it has a recall about the battery exploding or something

you have to spend more than $200 for a good light, i've tried all price levels after buying a Magicshine for $80 (the helmet mount is anther $10), you will regret anything less than $400 because after getting used to night riding, you will be able to outrun the light, a trip to the emergency room is $1,000 not counting the ambulance which is another $1,000.

eBay!! Educate yourself on some on the older HID models that the LEDs are replacing and you can pick up a decent set for around $100. I'm partial to NiteRiders (Flight model specifically), but others are good too.

I'm using the Magicshine now -- I'm pretty happy with it. Great light for the the price you're paying. I have 2 sets - I use 1 light for the mellower/less technical rides, and use both the bar/helmet lights for the gnarlier stuff. The battery pack has been recalled -- replacing the packs should be easy. :)

I 1st - the geometry of a road bike is brutal if you are just getting in shape or have any shoulder issues... road bikers are pricks :laughing.

Only half of this statement is true. Nothing on a road bike should ever hurt if you are fit properly and are sitting properly. It takes time and someone who really knows what theyre doing.

I sit on my road bike for 90 miles at a time absolutely pain free.

Only half of this statement is true. Nothing on a road bike should ever hurt if you are fit properly and are sitting properly. It takes time and someone who really knows what theyre doing.

I sit on my road bike for 90 miles at a time absolutely pain free.

Hmmmmmm, .... tell me 'bout this thing you call "Pain Free."
I've heard about it but thought it only existed in fairytales. :wtf LOL

Shit, I've got a $2000 mattress and even that's not pain free.
Think I could borrow your body for a couple of days, ...... or months, ........ or years?????? :)

Hmmmmmm, .... tell me 'bout this thing you call "Pain Free."
I've heard about it but thought it only existed in fairytales. :wtf LOL

Shit, I've got a $2000 mattress and even that's not pain free.
Think I could borrow your body for a couple of days, ...... or months, ........ or years?????? :)

Don't feel bad. Ive seen dudes on $12k bikes who were complaining of constant pain.

First you have to know how to properly and naturally sit on road bike....lower and upper body. Then find someone who knows how to put you on a bike.

The idea is to fit a bike to you, not to fit you to a road bike.

pro tip....stay away from crap "distance/comfort/roubaix/sloping" geometry bullshit that companies are selling. Geometries like the Synapse, Roubaix, Z, etc.

There's a reason why bikes have looked exactly the same for the last 100 years and guys ride them at full pace for 100/day for 17 days. Other guys are in agony after 10 miles. Go figure.

But the good news is that several BARFers can confirm that I am indeed a prick.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad. Ive seen dudes on $12k bikes who were complaining of constant pain.

First you have to know how to properly and naturally sit on road bike....lower and upper body. Then find someone who knows how to put you on a bike.

But the good news is that several BARFers can confirm that I am indeed a prick.
First you have to not have 20 or so broken bones including 6 fused vertebrae, two more broken vertebrae, nerve damage, and tendons and ligaments that just let go of bones when they are ready for no obvious reason. :wtf

As far as you being an prick, I've never met you so I can't say for sure but I am sure there are at least a few barfers that think I'm a prick, ... just give it minute or so. I'm sure they'll chime in and tell ya :teeth

Sorry Harpo is Super Jew but you can be Amazing Jew

Hey, is it better to be a SuperJew or an AmazingJew??? :wtf
And which one of us is a bigger prick? ..... :twofinger

Hmmmm, ..... And I suppose we're not referring to size :wow

LOL, I'll probablt get banned for that one, especially if DucattiHoney has anything to say about it. (who buy the way still owes me some pizza :teeth)

(who buy the way still owes me some pizza :teeth)

well you have more Jew spirit thats for sure.

Brah, 20 broken bones? Maybe you should take up swimming or golf.

Ive got tens of thousands of road miles with no problems but a minor IT band soreness many years ago from poor cleat positioning:cool

Back