• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Sadly I will not be home by then :(
Probably be getting home around the 6th or 7th. At the earliest.

I do plan on making an Ashland and Dville trip while I am home though. We shall assemble a group. Get ready for an August of non stop riding!!!!!

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking about putting my 27+ lb. GT I-Drive on a bit of a diet (it's currently bone-stock). Any ideas? Seatpost? Stem/bar? Wheelset?

(image from page 3)

1180339-bike.jpg

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking about putting my 27+ lb. GT I-Drive on a bit of a diet (it's currently bone-stock). Any ideas? Seatpost? Stem/bar? Wheelset?

in order of importance (what is felt most):

wheels
tires
tubes
fork
handlebar/grips
cranks
pedals

my .02

(image from page 3)

1180339-bike.jpg
Jeff, putting money into older bike is a slippery, downhill slope.

That said, if you want it lighter just to be able to say your bike weighs 26pounds, GET OVER IT!!!

If you want your bike to "work" better or more efficiently, the most noticable weight loss is always in the drivetrain. Tires, tubes (GO TUBELESS!!) cassette, chain, rims, etc. However, keep in mind that you are not a small guy and lighter stuffs also means (for the most part) that it's not as strong.

IMHO Lighter tires and Stan's No Tubes is always the first step.

:twofinger

Harpo , were you at JMP the other day? I saw someone that looked like you(bald mostly :p) that gave me a weird look.

in order of importance (what is felt most):
wheels
tires
tubes
fork
handlebar/grips
cranks
pedals
my .02
Take a closer look at the bike. Wheels means brakes also. At that point you're spending to much $$ on an old bike.
At that point, might just as well sell the old and buy something newer.

Harpo , were you at JMP the other day? I saw someone that looked like you(bald mostly :p) that gave me a weird look.
Well, I am bald and I do look weird but you sure didn't see me at JMP.
My right knee broke just over a month ago. Another mtn bike/ski season bites the dust. :cry

Take a closer look at the bike. Wheels means brakes also. At that point you're spending to much $$ on an old bike.
At that point, might just as well sell the old and buy something newer...

pfft....cost wasn't mentioned :twofinger

besides, you can get crazy light rim brake wheels built ya goof :p

but overall I agree with ya....dump the ol' girl and get a new one...:thumbup

At that point, might just as well sell the old and buy something newer.

Well, I am bald and I do look weird but you sure didn't see me at JMP.
My right knee broke just over a month ago. Another mtn bike/ski season bites the dust. :cry

wtf you're always injured , what caused this one? :wtf

http://tahoemountainbiking.ning.com/profiles/blogs/4th-of-july-trail-update

"Begining Saturday July 2nd, Zephyr will run for bikers and hikers. Trail access off the top will be limited to Tryumph and zone 1 of Livewire, all Vista trails will be open below Tryumph."

"Lower Vista trails, below Tryumph, are 100% ready to go for this weekend. Trail crew has been out raking and rebuilding, and they should ride great. Access will be off of Zephyr lift, then via Tryumph. Pho-Dogg, Karpiel, Speed Control, Dog Bone, Sticks and Stones, Flameout, Manure Pile, Kickback and KT will all be open. There are still some large snow piles near the top of Zephyr, keeping those trails closed this weekend. Boondocks is 90% melted, and will be ready to go by July 9th, and hopefully sooner. Due the this winters snow pack, Livewire still has snow on the top of the trail, and will need some maintenance before it will open top to bottom. Work has begun on zone 6 and 7 of Livewire, and they should be ready to ride soon. Gypsy will be a few weeks, the section above spooky woods still has some snow where the ski run crosses. We will keep you informed of our progress and projected trail opening dates."

Back