• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Anyone have an idea on what a good starter bike would be. I'm stuck on getting a iron horse 7.5 but I'll be using it to get back and forth from work and the occasional trail ride up in the hills.

I know a full suspension bike is overkill. Someone help me out!

Thanks

Anyone have an idea on what a good starter bike would be. I'm stuck on getting a iron horse 7.5 but I'll be using it to get back and forth from work and the occasional trail ride up in the hills.

I know a full suspension bike is overkill. Someone help me out!

Thanks

Specialized Hardrock
Giant Revel

7.5 is a DH bike , what do you consider a 'trail ride' ?

what do you consider a 'trail ride' ?

I dunno thats why I'm asking LOL. I'm totally new to the scene.

I wanted something with full suspension because I know I'm going to try to do a little bit of everything (downhill, singletrack, jumping shit i probably shouldn't be trying to jump...etc.). And hell it looks cool :nerd

I've considered a Kona stinky, the 7point, and a Giant XTC. I currently have a 24" hardtail dirt jump bike that I ride to work but I want to move up to a mountain bike.

Definitely open to some good recommendations.

I dunno thats why I'm asking LOL. I'm totally new to the scene.

I wanted something with full suspension because I know I'm going to try to do a little bit of everything (downhill, singletrack, jumping shit i probably shouldn't be trying to jump...etc.). And hell it looks cool :nerd

I've considered a Kona stinky, the 7point, and a Giant XTC. I currently have a 24" hardtail dirt jump bike that I ride to work but I want to move up to a mountain bike.

Definitely open to some good recommendations.

You've covered the spectrum DH-FR-XC, get a hard tail or xc bike to ride, then figure out how gnarly you want to get. It's easy to change the bike after you've figured out what you want to ride.

Knee is working for now, ....for now

Gotta take advantage of it while I can.
Looking to rip some $%!# up on Monday. (Yeaaaa Knee brace with 50* hyperextension shim :) )

Sonny, Rox, Greg, Ryan, Doug, etc, ... (you know who you are).
Let me know. I've probably got a MAX of 15 miles in me and that would be pushin' it. Even a few loops around Jauquin. (sp?) lets hit it!!!! The Nomad is screamin' to be ridden.
Joe

PS. My cell was stolen :( but I got a new one so the old # works again.

I've been riding south bay trails- Santa Teresa park, Kennedy, Josephs, and looking for a challenge.

What is the steepest trail you've been able to climb without walking?

Santa Teresa Park- Joice trail, is quite steep, I cleaned it.
I still need to go up to the tower from the golf course side, that is insane.

Kennedy Trail- Trailhead to Priest Rock, cleaned. (there is a challenging section just before the top)

what has challenged you? where?

I've been riding south bay trails- Santa Teresa park, Kennedy, Josephs, and looking for a challenge.

Kennedy Trail- Trailhead to Priest Rock, cleaned. (there is a challenging section just before the top)

If there is a road/ trail, i can ride it. There is some pretty steep stuff in Coe. Priest Rock trail from Lexington has a pretty good pitch... I've been denied on some single track. I usually keep trying till I can make it...

What is the steepest trail you've been able to climb without walking?...

depends on duration of climb....but the one that always made me mad was kennedy on a SS...

made me hate my bike.

If there is a road/ trail, i can ride it. There is some pretty steep stuff in Coe...

+1

Coe has the most ornery climbs around - period. you can rack up over 10K ascent in 50 miles easy....

Hell, just walking up the steps in my house to me bedroom sometimes makes me cry. :( :wtf :twofinger

Hmmm... up Charcoal Rd/Table Mtn to Saratoga gap. It's not the steepest, but loooong.

Seems like most of the challenges in the south bay are short, techy sections. I still can't get up the root at the Gap. Also the root section at Skeggs that has it's own MTBR thread. And going up the Ridge trail at Santa Teresa.

I've never tried going up (only down) the steep section of the Longridge rail near where it connects to Peter's Creek/Grizzly Flats/BA Ridge trail, but I'm sure that would be "fun" to try.

...I still can't get up the root at the Gap...

get your momentum up, geared mid ring middle cassette and shoot up right up the center of those 3 lil' fuckers.

pic makes it look easier than it is

a8052c72fffaa6816c36cbfd42f98b0debd59f.regular.JPEG

dry roots are easier :twofinger

Climb UP Tractor Trail at Demo :rofl --- Though I was recently told that trail is under construction.

Another tough one is Mt Diablo via fireraod starting at Mitchell Canyon, 3500ft ascent in just over 7miles :teeth

Looking for a 450x2.75 spring (fox diameter) if anyone has one? Harpo?

I've got a 400 and a 500, thinking the 450 is the sweet spot.

N*

Gonna be there sat/sun.
Anyone else gonna be there?

Smiling ear to ear :)

So how many smiley faces is this worth????

:teeth x 1,000,000,000,000,000

Attachments

• FoxDHXAirKashima2.jpg
    FoxDHXAirKashima2.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 77
Back