• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

MTB noob question here... :teeth

I'm looking at trading my Bianchi Axis CX bike (that barely ever gets used, and was mostly a roadie anyway) for a Specialized BigHit3.

I live in Felton, up near Zayante Rd. Want to start riding the local trails, scared to break the shit out of my CX bike doing it.

I know it's a heavy bike, but I'm a big guy. Am I going to hate my life the first time I find a hill that goes up?

Thanks. :)

MTB noob question here... :teeth

I'm looking at trading my Bianchi Axis CX bike (that barely ever gets used, and was mostly a roadie anyway) for a Specialized BigHit3.

I live in Felton, up near Zayante Rd. Want to start riding the local trails, scared to break the shit out of my CX bike doing it.

I know it's a heavy bike, but I'm a big guy. Am I going to hate my life the first time I find a hill that goes up?

Thanks. :)

For most riders, probably. The seat angle on the BH3 is horrible for climbing. Also, the travel is so long and the travel/shock stroke ratio is over 3:1, so you'll be bobbing up and down all kinds while you pedal.

But, you never know...my buddy rides a v10 everywhere in santa cruz like it's a trail bike, and loves it.

See if you can demo the bike first for a day. There are plenty of trails in your area. I've lived and have been riding in SC for over 10 years, if you need someone to ride with, LMK. I know all the good trails.

Is this a good deal? Found it on craigslist for $300 (I will offer him less)

All he says is that it has a flat tire.
f0a49648.jpg

Is this a good deal? Found it on craigslist for $300 (I will offer him less)

All he says is that it has a flat tire.
f0a49648.jpg

Non disk hardrocks run 400. brand new. All low end parts.

Spend a little more and get a Rockhopper disk.

I might have one for sale :laughing

What's a little more? That's sort of my budget ~300

I won't be doing any down hills or trails. Just want something to ride around on bike rides with the family. And maybe jump off a curb or two...

What's a little more? That's sort of my budget ~300

I won't be doing any down hills or trails. Just want something to ride around on bike rides with the family. And maybe jump off a curb or two...

Anything made by specialized will be just fine for what you are planning on doing.

I will normally pay about 60% of what the bike cost new for a clean used bike thats only a few years old. Bikes are a bad investment.

250 would be a good deal.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I would like a dual suspension bike. Because they look cool and beefy but in reality I probably wouldn't use it for it's intended purpose.

Anything to look for when purchasing off of CL? Bent rims gears, forks etc? Can you tell if a bike has been stolen?

Back