• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I gotta say that I'm not sold on the 2x10 (26/38) deal. Seems perfect for cruising around contouring singletrack, but spinning out at 30mph on the fire roads is a bummer... I need faster legs or 3 rings.

who lives in the east bay and wants to ride mountain bikes sometime. cross country or some shuttle runs will be good. i have a truck for shuttle runs around here if you do to.

Sounds fun.

Anyone ride the Tallboy LTc or Trek Fuel EX 29er? I'm thinking about getting a dual suspension, and those two are high on my list. I like the fuel, but am not a fan of the press fit BB or drop in headset bearings. Still, I can get a good deal on one through my old shop. I really dig the standard BB and headset on the santa cruz, along with how durable they are. They're some big cash, though!

I gotta say that I'm not sold on the 2x10 (26/38) deal. Seems perfect for cruising around contouring singletrack, but spinning out at 30mph on the fire roads is a bummer... I need faster legs or 3 rings.

Sounds fun.

So bump up to 30/42, you'll have a hard time climbing those billygoat tracks though.

Anyone ride the Tallboy LTc or Trek Fuel EX 29er? I'm thinking about getting a dual suspension, and those two are high on my list. I like the fuel, but am not a fan of the press fit BB or drop in headset bearings. Still, I can get a good deal on one through my old shop. I really dig the standard BB and headset on the santa cruz, along with how durable they are. They're some big cash, though!

Those were on my radar when deciding on a new full-suspension. Because my previous rig had been a Fuel EX8 26er, I naturally gravitated to the EX 29er. But wanted a carbon frame this time... so it was either the Santa Cruz or the one I ended up with, a Yeti SB95 carbon. Sadly, because I've been so damn sick (persistent coughing) since November, I hadn't put a ride in yet on the new Yeti.

Anyway, as far as the Trek goes... I really liked my EX8. Suspension was smooth and the ABP really worked as I could use my rear brake and not have my rear end stiffen up... I felt Trek had a solid design and was very close to getting a new EX9 29er.

Let us know what you end up with...

Looking for advice on a decent bike to buy for mainly road with single track, ride to the single track and back again. Is it worth while just going to the local bike store to get fitted correctly ect? Would much rather have 2 wheels and an engine but need to build cardio and keep the racing weight down.

Thanks in advance

Looking for advice on a decent bike to buy for mainly road with single track, ride to the single track and back again. Is it worth while just going to the local bike store to get fitted correctly ect? Would much rather have 2 wheels and an engine but need to build cardio and keep the racing weight down.

Thanks in advance

I love my 'cross bike to string together road and dirt....

more relaxed geo than a road machine and can easily handle most of the buffed out trails that Norcal offers...and is MUCH faster than a MTB on the road.

Here's a million pics of people riding their's on dirt:
http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/cross-bikes-singletrack-post-your-photos-728285.html

You can get an entry level one from many manufacturers for a good price - only upgrades I could see off the bat would be for fit...stem length and bar width/flair.

My .02

I love my 'cross bike to string together road and dirt....

more relaxed geo than a road machine and can easily handle most of the buffed out trails that Norcal offers...and is MUCH faster than a MTB on the road.

Here's a million pics of people riding their's on dirt:
http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/cross-bikes-singletrack-post-your-photos-728285.html

You can get an entry level one from many manufacturers for a good price - only upgrades I could see off the bat would be for fit...stem length and bar width/flair.

My .02

I think his "local trails" are near Reno

Alright, just threw down for a Trek Fuel EX 9 29er. Grabbed it through my old shop, so I got a killer deal. Going to sell the XT kit and wheels, then toss on my XX1 kit and I9 wheels. Pretty pumped. I just hope I like it more than my carbon hardtail as I've ridden hardtails for the past 15 years

Alright, just threw down for a Trek Fuel EX 9 29er. Grabbed it through my old shop, so I got a killer deal. Going to sell the XT kit and wheels, then toss on my XX1 kit and I9 wheels. Pretty pumped. I just hope I like it more than my carbon hardtail as I've ridden hardtails for the past 15 years

Congrats! I think you'll love the EX9 29er. Why not keep the hardtail? I like having options...

Congrats! I think you'll love the EX9 29er. Why not keep the hardtail? I like having options...

Yea, I mean, I still have the original XO kit and wheels for it, so I totally could. I really don't need two, but I'll probably hang on to the frame for a while just to be safe.

Oh, and that whole money thing. By selling off the extra parts I'm essentially paying $1500 for the frame/fork/cockpit/dropper post/saddle setup. It's kinda the max I wanted to spend to do this whole thing.

Last edited:
Nice and moist in the hills yesterday, dirt was amazing. I had forgotten what it was like to ride wet dirt :laughing

Attachments

• 20140129_165502.jpg
    20140129_165502.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 71
All built up and ready to ride!

BC9A9313-2-XL.jpg

I started riding downhill at northstar this last season and LOVED it! No having to climb, just take the lift up and ride down over and over again!!! Will be going a lot again this season once they open up and would love some more people to ride with! I picked up a 09 norco shore with totem 7" fork and love it!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 64
Back