• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Pulled my trance 29er out to ride yesterday to find my front brakes completely locked. Elixer 3. Must have been close to 100deg in my garage, so my theory is the heat expanded the fluid in the system. They were freshly bled about 2 months ago as well. Had to bleed off a little fluid for them to work again. But they became mushy when the weather cooled off again. Sigh. Never had an issue like this before.

Last edited:
I've had Avid ultimates that seize up in heat, I'm pretty sure it's a piston or oring in the master cylinder swelling up. At least in my case. The fluid itself should be able to stand 100deg on account of being DOT fluid.

So I switched to old gen Shimano SLX's.

Pulled my trance 29er out to ride yesterday to find my front brakes completely locked. Elixer 3. Must have been close to 100deg in my garage, so my theory is the heat expanded the fluid in the system. They were freshly bled about 2 months ago as well. Had to bleed off a little fluid for them to work again. But they became mushy when the weather cooled off again. Sigh. Never had an issue like this before.

New pads? It's super easy to overfill the elixirs when bleeding the system. If its overfilled the pistons cant back out enough without draining some fluid. To be honest though I never had an issue with heat causing so much expansion the the brakes locked. The best way to drain a bit is to connect the syringe at the caliper and use the RED pad spreader (not bleed block) to push the pads out which pushes the excess fluid into the syringe. Sounds like it could be contaminated though, I would probably flush the whole system with some fresh dot...

I've had Avid ultimates that seize up in heat, I'm pretty sure it's a piston or oring in the master cylinder swelling up. At least in my case. The fluid itself should be able to stand 100deg on account of being DOT fluid.

So I switched to old gen Shimano SLX's.

Shimano's brakes have been superior in every way to SRAM for quite a while. Once you feel that power you'll never switch back. I still have one bike I need to switch over but I don't want to fork the dough out for a problem solver so my levers/shifters match up... :|

Shimano's brakes have been superior in every way to SRAM for quite a while. Once you feel that power you'll never switch back. I still have one bike I need to switch over but I don't want to fork the dough out for a problem solver so my levers/shifters match up... :|

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/5697357110.html Oh the temptation.

I think I got the old SLX for 45 bucks? Not as sleek as the new gen though.

For a while I thought I liked the avid's feel, but the overheating MC and bleed process had me fed up with avids.

Getting used to the cam was something else though, and even now I'm a little sad I put the M765's on the fiancee's bike...:|

New pads? It's super easy to overfill the elixirs when bleeding the system. If its overfilled the pistons cant back out enough without draining some fluid. To be honest though I never had an issue with heat causing so much expansion the the brakes locked. The best way to drain a bit is to connect the syringe at the caliper and use the RED pad spreader (not bleed block) to push the pads out which pushes the excess fluid into the syringe. Sounds like it could be contaminated though, I would probably flush the whole system with some fresh dot...

Relatively new pads. Fluid is new. The bleed process doesn't mention anything about overfilling. The last step is to remove all air from the master. Which to me means there is not supposed to be any air in the entire system.

Relatively new pads. Fluid is new. The bleed process doesn't mention anything about overfilling. The last step is to remove all air from the master. Which to me means there is not supposed to be any air in the entire system.

It's a design flaw, and happens a lot. Most of the time people get new pads and can't back the pistons to back out enough to get the wheels on. The guides are even dumber, you have to remove the wheel and pump the lever to get any real pad contact adjustment...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/5697357110.html Oh the temptation.

I think I got the old SLX for 45 bucks? Not as sleek as the new gen though.

For a while I thought I liked the avid's feel, but the overheating MC and bleed process had me fed up with avids.

Getting used to the cam was something else though, and even now I'm a little sad I put the M765's on the fiancee's bike...:|

Not sure how I feel about buying used brakes. The newer version can be had pretty easily for under $150/pr (hint: ebay)

Avids claim is that you get "more modulation" with their stuff I just find that you get more hand fatigue. I do prefer using DOT fluid over overpriced mineral oil though.. :ride

Last edited:
As someone who inevitably gets the brake oil/fluid on himself, I'm totally fine with the cost :)

Pricing out though, looks like a liter of Shimano brake fluid is 17.99 and a liter of ATE type 200 is sitting at 18.99 :teeth

I can understand not being comfortable with used brakes, but so far so good with mine. Haha.

Edit**

Links for pricing:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Brake-Fluid-1-Liter (sale though)

https://amzn.com/B003VXRPL0 (Prime!)

Last edited:
Steal for that shimano stuff, thats a lifetime supply for you and all your buddies. :thumbup

I don't know whether there is any weight to it, but my Dad tells me a lot of the guys up in Fort Bragg/Mendo prefer Shimano because the mineral oil isn't hygroscopic. Makes sense as far as it being a bit wetter up there. Might also just be some redwoods witch doctor stuff though.

I would say it's worth it. Kinda like building a computer with SSD, while you don't NEED it... it's really hard to go back to not having one.

A few considerations - It's probably worth it to spend money on a nice one, the quality shows through pretty well. I also would hate dealing with a broken one out on trail.

If you are tied up thinking about whether you need one, consider the type of terrain you are riding.
Rolling changing terrain with lots of little ups and downs? Get one.
Ride to the top, then ride to the down? You can probably get away w/o.

Flip side of the coin, you can learn a lot about gearing and carrying momentum when forced to ride with your seat low. I've seen drastic improvements in my better half's riding from her time sans dropper post.

I had that happen when I borrowed a bike to sweep for a 50k run. The brakes seized on the only descent on the trail. I used some of my water to cool them down but was only temporary. I couldn't use the rear brake the rest of the ride, and the last aid station was packing up as I got there or I would have had to pedal back on the heat 20 miles without water :(

Funny enough, I am totally unimpressed with XTR brakes. They were on a bike I took out for a demo and thought they had no feel at all compared to the Guide on my AM or Magura on my XC.

Though I did like the Deore on a different demo bike.

I don't know whether there is any weight to it, but my Dad tells me a lot of the guys up in Fort Bragg/Mendo prefer Shimano because the mineral oil isn't hygroscopic. Makes sense as far as it being a bit wetter up there. Might also just be some redwoods witch doctor stuff though.

Sealed system, doesn't matter what the weather is. On the other hand, storing a hygroscopic fluid to use later (buying in bulk) is a bad idea. I deal with that with refrigeration work. I don't store it, once the container is open the rest gets used or disposed of.

Is a dropper post worth it? It's tempting to order one...

A dropper is like a suspension fork. No, you don't need one. But one you have one, you don't really want to go back...

Though, in all honesty, I do want to add a rigid bike to my collection.

I would say it's worth it. Kinda like building a computer with SSD, while you don't NEED it... it's really hard to go back to not having one.
I don't know what that means :laughing

Last edited:
Handling Shimano's mineral oil is a nice break from the paint-eating stuff, and my giant bottle will last forever. Good for Mavic freehubs as well.

A few considerations - It's probably worth it to spend money on a nice one, the quality shows through pretty well. I also would hate dealing with a broken one out on trail.

If you are tied up thinking about whether you need one, consider the type of terrain you are riding.
Rolling changing terrain with lots of little ups and downs? Get one.
Ride to the top, then ride to the down? You can probably get away w/o.

Flip side of the coin, you can learn a lot about gearing and carrying momentum when forced to ride with your seat low. I've seen drastic improvements in my better half's riding from her time sans dropper post.

Thanks! (and thanks Sidewalk!)

I will wait till I start riding and then determine if I need one. I was looking at the Rockshox Reverb non stealth. It's pretty expensive, which is why I'm still thinking it over.

Thanks! (and thanks Sidewalk!)

I will wait till I start riding and then determine if I need one. I was looking at the Rockshox Reverb non stealth. It's pretty expensive, which is why I'm still thinking it over.

I do love my reverb! I'm sure there are benefits to a cable actuated system, but I for one don't mind the hydraulic actuator.

As a complete shift in direction, any chance anybody has a spare Specialized E150 32 spoke hub laying around? I need to rebuild a wheel and the old hub is 24 spoke, and nobody makes a 24 spoke all mountain rim. :(

Back