• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

What a day...

Decided to hit openspace preserves today... half way through, about 10 miles into the ride I get a flat!

F$*k!!!!!!!

Walking 10 miles sucks!
However a nice man with a van was kind enough to give me a ride back to 4 - corners.

Thanks
=)

// bringing extra tubes or going back to tubeless.

FLATS SUCK!

You don't have a survival pack there Massive? Any good biker should and the key word here is should have a tube with pump to aviod these types of things. Silly

Just switched back to tubes from UST. Should have thought about the chances...

Anyhow... you can bet I'll have a spare tube on the next time...

MrCrash907 said:
I've never seen Joe, the pinnacle of aggression, hesitate like he did on those downhill chutes. Nor have I ever seen a pack of guys pull away from him on the climbs. Watching Joe feverishly pedal away trying to keep in touch with the group was like watching Apollo Creed take those final, sloppy swings at Rocky before collapsing onto the canvas. I never thought I'd see the day!

Ahhhh Yes!! The definite difference between someone that rides once every 2 weeks and someone that probably rides once every 2 days. I might've had a better chance when I was pumping out 150+ miles a week on the road bike but I'm old and tired now.:( :barf But gotta give credit where credit is due. They (at least the first 2) were really solid climbers. :thumbup

As far as the chutes, ..... until I am absolutely, mentally secure/confident with what the bike is doing underneath me, ..... you can just call me Harpo-Puss.
Man, all the $$$$ I've spent and I just can't get that thing dialed. F@#$

Harpo said:

Man, all the $$$$ I've spent and I just can't get that thing dialed. F@#$

What's up Harpo you have a big fancy bike you can't dial in. Find a nice little favorite section you like to ride and just keep riding it and make a change, go back a ride it again if you make small changes and don't have a huge trail to ride you can find out what works for you and what doesn't. Just make sure the place you ride has a little of everything you like to ride. :toothless

EC70 said:
What's up Harpo you have a big fancy bike you can't dial in. Find a nice little favorite section you like to ride and just keep riding it and make a change, go back a ride it again if you make small changes and don't have a huge trail to ride you can find out what works for you and what doesn't. Just make sure the place you ride has a little of everything you like to ride. :toothless
"Dialed" was the wrong terminology. I actually believe that something isn't right (broken or otherwise) I brought it into the shop I use and the two guys that usually work on my stuff (one of which is factory sponsored DH/Slalom rider) are in agreement that something is not right but haven't had the time to diagnose it yet. Making me F!@#EN NUTZ!! New Frame, almost new Fox Talas RLC, brand new Chris King headset, ....... Geeeeeeze, what else could be vibrating (not solid) in the front end???????:wtf

It's vibrating...?

That use to happen on my Epic. I asked around and found a couple of reason to as why it was doing this... (wish you asked sooner)

1. Forks may have a crack in the mold where the forks are kept in. This causes the fork to not be stable
2. Tires may not be fully mounted into the fork mounts. After putting your tire on, turn the bike over, loosen the skewers and slam a few times until it is fully secure.
3. Tighten all bolts, headset, stem, etc... Don't tighten it too much this may cause more vibration.

When you do all this and you're still having problems.. I'd suggest you get a real bike. Something like a Santa Cruz Blur...

:p

Good Luck dood. Keep us posted with new developments!

That's a tough one for sure. Maybe something in the fork? But you just got a new fork right? Try to figure out when it all started even before you had the forks installed, maybe a jump and or fall gone bad? Loose wheel bearing will do it also. I hope you figure it out a loose front end does not inspire confidence.

Tighten all bolts, headset, stem, etc... Don't tighten it too much this may cause more vibration.
Yeah what Massive said :cool

Last edited:
MassiveAttack said:
I'd suggest you get a real bike. Something like a Santa Cruz Blur...
Thanx for the input guys but I can't narrow it down. The fork I put on the bike originally was bad so I have no starting point. The new fork was used, but just rebuilt (by Fox, via my "Fox" factory sponsored mechanic) All nuts/bolts are tight and secure. Wheel skewer is absolutely in correctly and snug. It has to be something structural in the fork itself or maybe in the wheel.

PS. Jeff, thanx for suggestions 1,2, and 3 and maybe when I sell my X5 and my 330 I too can think about going out and buying a new Blur but until then I ride what I can afford.

lol

took a lot of tial and error before I realized what I enjoyed the most.

1, 2 and 3 is what brought me to the BLUR. I bought that sucka off eBay for less than a grand and moved everything over from my old bike... I've had no problems since! I honestly think one of your guys is pulilng your leg about the fork being re-built.... I'd have him personally call FOX to have them look at it again. Especially if he ran that fork for DH use. Those guys are brutal.... when it comes to wear and tear...

Keep us posted dood.

MassiveAttack said:
lol

took a lot of tial and error before I realized what I enjoyed the most.

1, 2 and 3 is what brought me to the BLUR. I bought that sucka off eBay for less than a grand and moved everything over from my old bike... I've had no problems since! I honestly think one of your guys is pulilng your leg about the fork being re-built.... I'd have him personally call FOX to have them look at it again. Especially if he ran that fork for DH use. Those guys are brutal.... when it comes to wear and tear...

Keep us posted dood.
Definitely not pulling my leg. He said if there is any issue with the fork wht so ever he will pull it off, send it back and give me a loaner until it comes back.
I'll let you guys know how it goes 'cause I really want to ride.

PS. I totally trust the dudes that work on my bike. They have been working on my stuff as long as I've been riding mtn bikes and I couldn't possibly be treated better by anyone.:thumbup

That's good Harpo...

Just too bad you gotta go through all this. Hope it gets resolved soon!

MassiveAttack said:
That's good Harpo...

Just too bad you gotta go through all this. Hope it gets resolved soon!
Me Too! I waaaaaaaaaannaaaaa Riiiiiide!!:( :cry :cry Waaaaaaaaa!!

MassiveAttack said:

I'm up for an epic. Folsom then Auburn, Slammin' Falls followed by the Auburn Ravine. Should be about 20 miles of goodness.

Jeff, I'm surprised you haven't gone to Stan's Notubes yet. Miller used to just shred my tires. Northstar and the rock gardens at Auburn did the same.

No longer a problem with Stans :)

MrCrash907 said:

Jeff, I'm surprised you haven't gone to Stan's Notubes yet. Miller used to just shred my tires. Northstar and the rock gardens at Auburn did the same.

I didn't have any puncture problems when I ran tubes. That's because I only ran dh tires with heavy-duty casing and sidewalls. Problem was that those tires weigh a ton. I went with Stans after hearing how much Mike likes it. Now my bike actually feels like it can climb (lower rotational weight).

Jeff, you should get some stans. With UST wheels, the install is much easier and you don't need to run UST tires.

Dragon said:
Hey- have any of ya riden Wilder near Santa Cruz? :thumbup :thumbup

Yep, many times.
Its got some good trails, both legal and not so legal, plus it hooks up with UCSC:thumbup
Do you need to know anything specific?

Auburn may be a bit too far for me this weekend. Anything closer to the bay?

N.Bay
- Marin Headlands / Mt Tam / Tamarachero
- Annadel

S.Bay
- UCSC and Wilder
- Soquel SDF

Peninsula
- ECDM

Let me know...

*Anyone have a MAVIC UST Front Wheel for sale?

MrCrash907 said:
I'm up for an epic. Folsom then Auburn, Slammin' Falls followed by the Auburn Ravine. Should be about 20 miles of goodness.

another pic of my ride. Top section of "lock em ups"

1521266-dsc00118.jpg

Back