• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

squidhunter said:
:wow
Did you finally get tired of all the double and tripple shifts you were pulling down at the plant?

Same shift, just cutting back on the weekend OT.

How does saturday sound? Preferrably not too terribly early....

Also, for those of us who are beginners, what should we have on our bikes? Recommended gear? Any need to know things before we take off on our first outing?

hondagrl said:
Same shift, just cutting back on the weekend OT.

How does saturday sound? Preferrably not too terribly early....

Also, for those of us who are beginners, what should we have on our bikes? Recommended gear? Any need to know things before we take off on our first outing?

Saturday should be fine, lets see how many people want to go and make some plans in the next day or two.

You wont need much gear. I dont want to tell people to go out and drop a ton of $$ as a rank beginer, that will come latter:teeth
What you will need:
Water, dont leave home without it. So you will need a bottle and cage at the minimum.
A helmet is highly recomended, as are cycling gloves.
Wear low top shoes, and tuck in the laces so they dont get caught in the chainring.
This time of year is a bit chilly, I recomend dressing in light layers, you wont need anything heavier then a windbreaker over a long sleve tee-shirt unless it drops into the 30's.
If you have cycling gear, use it. Other wise try to dress warm, but not so much that you're going to overheat, you will be creating some of your own heat on the bike.

If I missed anything feel free to fill the blanks guys...

JnglstTICAL said:
MA, I'm out for SDF sunday dude. few things came up that I need to take care of. I'm riding most of this up-coming week though in the mornings...local...[hyper?]

santa teresa was hella muddy on sat am, stiles was good up from bailey, then really muddy most of the remaider of the way up rocky ridge. but it made for some fun riding. especially dh on rocky ridge.
the fire road to the top of rocky ridge is in better shape i believe.

just thought i would let u know if you want to stay local. plus its supposed to start raining again tomorrow.
i heard kennedy is in good shape, but its all uphill.

and i dont think they opened up quicksilver yet from the last rain storm.

rsrai said:
santa teresa was hella muddy on sat am, stiles was good up from bailey, then really muddy most of the remaider of the way up rocky ridge. but it made for some fun riding. especially dh on rocky ridge.
the fire road to the top of rocky ridge is in better shape i believe.

just thought i would let u know if you want to stay local. plus its supposed to start raining again tomorrow.
i heard kennedy is in good shape, but its all uphill.

my local runs are usually saint joes hill and/or fremont older. both have been relatively dry the past week, and dope. saint joes is usually good a day after rain as well. Ive been sick with either the flu or a bad cold since saturday, so we'll see how this week pans out...

So, the weather forecast has been rain into sunday. Are we going to postpone the newbie ride til say next sat, the 5th? Wait. Is that stuperbowl weekend? Well, I would go riding regardless :toothless

It looks like I will be working saturday afternoon, so....

Hey Massive can you send me that link you had here before for the mountain bike Forum in the bay area?? Thanks Man Keep Riding

http://www.ridemonkey.com also!

Hey Jeff - I screwed up my dates. I have Saturday off, and am going to be at the SF Supercross. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do China Camp on Sunday :(

That Supercross is a good time for sure I've seen it a few times and those guys are awsome, it's too bad Stewart and Pastrana won't be racing but still a great race. I thought there was a sight like msdh.com or something like that? Those other links are great as well. Thanks Have you folks ever ridden a trail called Boy Scout out in Pacifica?

Boy Scout, The Crack, and Mile Long are supposedly the big runs over in Pacifica. Most of the DH junkies that drop by my shop are very familiar with them. I haven't found one map that points out their location though.

Seems like groups on RideMonkey and MTBR head up there regularly. If you hook with one of them and figure it all out, you'll have to show us sometime :)

Yeah, there's also http://www.msdhw.com - but I don't follow it as I'm definitely not a freeride kinda guy. Mild downhill I can hack, but I have all the grace of a wounded turkey in midair :)

You saw the video of The Crack and Boy Scout, right?

http://www.mtbvideos.net/video/aweebitocrack.mpg

MrCrash907 said:
http://www.ridemonkey.com also!

Hey Jeff - I screwed up my dates. I have Saturday off, and am going to be at the SF Supercross. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do China Camp on Sunday :(

After spending countless hours trying to figure the loop... then you get me hyped about your secret China Camp Backside loop, now you're telling me your out for Sunday. You're killin me man!
:laughing

I'll be doing my usual run this weekend if weather permits.

hondagrl said:
So, the weather forecast has been rain into sunday. Are we going to postpone the newbie ride til say next sat, the 5th? Wait. Is that stuperbowl weekend? Well, I would go riding regardless :toothless

It looks like I will be working saturday afternoon, so....

My forecast calls for 20% Sat morning, and partly cloudy on Sun. I have plans for Sunday, and if your working Sat it would probably be better to shoot for next weekend. I couldnt care less about the Superbowl this year, so thats not an issue for me.

All newbies and not so newbies are welcome, this will be a nice, easy ride with possible options to continue, so you dont have to be experienced or in great condition to ride. I'm thinking about holding this ride in Santa Cruz with a nice ride along the cliffs...Wilder Ranch for those that are familiar.

China Camp On Sunday 1/30

Hey Jeff, (and whomever else)
I think a buddy and myself are going to ride China Camp on Sunday morning. Lemme know if you wanna join.

Back