• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Anyone wanna ride China Camp this weekend 7/30 or 7/31???

Sat or Sunday is fine with me.
Let me know. Call me :teeth
925 330 4820

The usual 13.4 mile loop is what I was thinking about.:thumbup

i wanna ride but my current set-up is just not working for me. small frame and a long travel fork. it is way under sprung for my fat but. having major over steer problems.

just wonderin if any of you guys going to downieville this 13th, a couple of friends are taking me there for the first time

daunte, i migt be able to go on the 13th to downieville. if i sell my celtic women tix, im definitely in.

sure norm' lets do it... celtic woman? thats a dominatrics show right, hey ill go with ya, never seen show like that before

just a little rant

beware of cyclepath they sold me a bike completely wrong for me. come to find out they sold me a womens specific bike. shorter top tube, crank arms etc. this bike is way to small for me. i just spent $400 on a new fork. im going to have to buy a new frame and the fork will be to short to fit a larger bike. anybody need a 17" bike? im just going to start over :(

I found a company thats makes a sweet hardtail. its called fetish cycles. im going to try one of there frames. the head tube is much longer than mine is now.i will need a new fork. i wanna try to sell my bike complete and build a new one.

Can somebody please recommend a MTB rim and hub combination that won't leave me with tweaked (or completely broken) spoke after EVERY ride.

I'm on an XT disc brake hub and mid range Mavic rim right now.

Going on a heavy ass Specialized P1 dirtjumper/converted urban bomber.

Anybody have something they'd like to sell?

TIA!

Michael

Thx squidhunter--familiar w/that site.

I guess I am wondering more if any BARFer's had any opinions on what causes bent spokes? My XT hub, Mavic rim or cheap spokes?

Should I look to upgrade the hub? Rim? Rim and hub together?

TIA!

was it a machine laced wheel or hand laced? Might try having a good mechanic relace the rim with better spokes if it is a machine made rim.

been doing some research on a new bike, and being a clydesdale, I was reading up on how to make the bike as bullit-proof as possible. Machine made wheelsets tend to have more problems with bent spokes or tweaked rims.

the parts you have (aside from the spokes) might be plenty strong.

Northstar

This past weekend, a group of us made it to Northstar. Me, Ted (Flyrice), Calvin (Jungletesticals), and Jeff (MassiveAttack).

Originally, we were joking about Jeff's purchase of a full-on downhill bike when his SC Blur was more than up to the task. Furthermore, Jeff had never ridden Northstar before.

Once we were moving, it was Jeff who had the last laugh, as he was plowing down things as fast as any of us were.

So, Jeff was on his 40 lb Santa Cruz DH rig with like 7" travel front and rear. Me and Ted were on freeride bikes, with my Cannondale Jekyll and his Titus both at around 5" travel front and rear. Calvin was on his Trek XC bike, with a flat bar and clip-in pedals. And he was getting the absolute shit beat out of him on those trails, as the steep rake of his fork and the lack of suspension travel jolted him around like nothing else.

Somehow, we talked him into renting a DH rig for the rest of the day. After that, he was riding as quickly and having as much fun as anyone else.

Good times!

MassiveAttack setting up shop:

1938655-northstar5.jpg

Calvin's dad (this man is hardcore), Calvin, and Ted heading up the lift. Calvin's dad spent the day bombing down firetrails on his hardtail, while we stuck to the single black diamonds singletrack.

1938664-northstar4.jpg

Marlboro Lights - the secret to Jeff's speed sits in his Camelbak.

1938674-northstar1.jpg

I had fun on the playground. I started on the small stuff (I think Ted hit the same one).

1938681-northstar6.jpg

On to the bigger stuff:

1938683-northstar3.jpg

:cool

Will try that--the components I have aren't the best, but shouldn't be giving me busted spokes every ride.

What bikes are you looking at? Have a shortlist?

B12Bill said:
was it a machine laced wheel or hand laced? Might try having a good mechanic relace the rim with better spokes if it is a machine made rim.

been doing some research on a new bike, and being a clydesdale, I was reading up on how to make the bike as bullit-proof as possible. Machine made wheelsets tend to have more problems with bent spokes or tweaked rims.

the parts you have (aside from the spokes) might be plenty strong.

Towards the end of the day, we were all completely flat. At one point, we stopped to catch a breather, when all four of us simultaneously started cramping up.

Despite that little setback, it was an absolutely awesome day! Til next time :)

1938696-northstar2.jpg

Back