• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

1999808-mtbk_2.jpg

going to northstar the 24th. it will be my first time. im more of a xc rider not into huge drops what trails should i hit? what trails should i aviod?

also any body going to the races and swap meet this weekend?

jroymcd said:
going to northstar the 24th. it will be my first time. im more of a xc rider not into huge drops what trails should i hit? what trails should i aviod?

also any body going to the races and swap meet this weekend?

Flyrice and I went up there last weekend. I was on my Jekyll, he was on his big travel DH rig. We stayed on the top half most of the day, usually taking Flameout all the way out to the second fire trail crossing, and taking the fire trail back.

This takes you back to the a short section of singletrack (I think it's Pho Dogg) returning you on a firetrail with a few good launches before putting you at the top of Lower Karpiel. Drop in on Lower Karpiel, which wraps up with the "stadium jump" underneath the chairlift.

You could just follow Flameout until it ends, then take the fire trail back to the lower lift. Flameout flattens out in a couple of areas while still being pretty rocky - the guys on full DH rigs with limited gearing were really working for it in that section.

The rock gardens on Flameout are doable on an XC bike, but you're going to get tired. There's also a small rock garden on Pho Dogg. Lower Karpiel is kinda bumpy.

The blue / intermediate runs on the lower part of the mountain might be more to your liking. Meander, Deer Path, and The Woods are all good intermediate trails that aren't too rocky.

Sinuous and Haugs are two other options coming off of the top. Upper Karpiel and Upper Sticks and Stones were both lots of fun, but so rocky that you'll want something more compliant than an XC bike. Middle Karpiel and lower Sticks and Stones are both pretty gnarly.

If you're on an XC bike and just want to get a feel for it, you could spend the first half of the day on the blue intermediate runs on the lower part of the mountain, then head up and give Flameout a shot.

Then maybe grab a DH rig for a half day rental, hit Flameout a few more times, as well as upper Karpiel, upper Sticks and Stones, and possibly Boondocks. Other single blacks that are pretty rocky include Lift Line and Competition.

What kind of bike are you going to be on, and how much travel does it have?

Last edited:
just built a new fetish hardtail with a minute 2. I might just want to rent a bike so i dont beat it up. so are single black diamond trails ok for an "avarage" skilled rider? i dont want to hurt myself

love mtn biking

I would participate in this...does it matter that I do not have a motorcycle yet?

I'm an excellent bicyclist!

Then maybe I can learn a thing or two from some of you before I go out and get my moto....

MSF 2 days away and counting!

So basically, you will kick my ass pedaling, I will wheelie past you while doing the DMV test?

Re: love mtn biking

jroymcd said:
just built a new fetish hardtail with a minute 2. I might just want to rent a bike so i dont beat it up. so are single black diamond trails ok for an "avarage" skilled rider? i dont want to hurt myself
They're doable, but they're pretty damn rocky in places.

Calvin / Jungletesticals took his XC bike out there, and originally put off the idea of renting. Where the rest of us were able to carry our momentum over the rock gardens on the single black diamond trails, Calvin kept hanging up his front wheel on different ruts and rocks. We were waiting a few minutes for him at every junction in the morning - you could see him getting banged around on the edge of control coming down the different rocky sections.

Once he went ahead with the Kona DH half-day rental, he didn't have much of a problem keeping up with the rest of us.

Momentum is big at Northstar. Sorta like Snowboarding. If I tumble early on, I'm timid the rest of the day, and I ride / board like shit. With the steep geometry / harsh suspension / narrow tires of an XC bike, you get worn out faster - as a result, you're more susceptible to making mistakes.

My Jekyll lets me carry my speed and float over most of the single black diamond stuff. I can't wait to go back :)

Whether or not you hurt yourself depends on how strong / fit / skilled / aggressive you are. You'll get tired sooner with the hardtail, and will be more likely to make mistakes as a result.

If you limit yourself to the smoother blue square intermediate runs, there aren't a whole lot of options for you on the top half of the mountain.

chrisRubb said:
I would participate in this...does it matter that I do not have a motorcycle yet?

Depends on what you want to do? I have an extra FS XC bike I lend to people - the brakes just suck on it.

If you wanted to try Northstar, you could rent bikes there.

Last edited:
Re: Re: love mtn biking

Originally posted by MrCrash907 Depends on what you want to do? I have an extra FS XC bike I lend to people - the brakes just suck on it.

If you wanted to try Northstar, you could rent bikes there. [/B]
I think he already has his own rig...

my plan is to rent a DH rig

1 do a few blue squares to warm up
2 try flameout
3 pho dogg
4 boondocks

flameout and competition all the way down the mountain is definately doable for an intermediate rider. the only thing with those trails are the switchbacks and rocks/roots. Personally i thought the single black diamonds were very doable, and the double blacks like the middle of karpiel rediculous. If any of you are familiar with santa teresa park, i love climbing rocky ridge and blasting down rocky ridge, and stiles canyon and i found those to be much trickier than flameout/competition.

So what i am saying is do not be discouraged even if you are a somewhat beginner. just rent a dh bike, or be ready to be beaten by the rocks. Take a handkerchief to cover your nose and mouth if riding in a group.

this is the hard tail i just built today for xc riding

fetish frame, minute 2, stylo cranks etc.

2013832-fetish.jpg

Santa Theresa Park... Trail question...

Just finished the 'loop' at ST and I was wondering if anyone here does this place regularly?

I decided to start from the backside and work my up through Stiles up to Coyote, down Rocky and back down through Fortini.... about 10-12 miles total, I think.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there's a trail link from Stiles to cut accross rather than climbing over the second hill? I saw a few break offs.. but wasn't sure if led anywhere due to the fenced off area. Anyone know?

Also, before hitting the trail head for Rocky, are there any trails to the left? From a distance you can make out miles of single track, T'ng off the fire road?

Thanks in advance...

** ST overall is a great work out, the climb up Stiles and up Coyote are tough -- Rocky is just awesome to ride and reminds me a lot of NS (in some ways):nerd

Back