• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

jroymcd,

I REALLY like yer new ride, especially the F disc/R rim brake combo.

Visuals are very good as well.

Speaking of Northstar, rumor has it that they are dumping the program after this year.

If that speculation is right, this weekend is going to be the last mountain biking weekend up there, for good.

:wtf
Why would they dump the program? Insurance problems? I've never been up there, but it seems to be a popular spot, I find it hard to believe that theres not enough riders to keep it going.

I'm on a couple of regional MTB forums as well. One of the local skeptics is saying it's because of the developers plans to build additional houses / condos up there, and the MTB park interferes with that.

Have you been there recently? Hard to say how popular it really is, as I never have to wait in line for a lift as long as there aren't any races that weekend.

I noticed some new racks placed on the lifts for this season. I can't imagine they'd do it if they knew they had intentions of scrapping the program.

I do know they are shutting down two weeks early this year, that much is confirmed. That makes this weekend our last chance to head up there.

I think they are having DH races there on sunday, I'll try to make it

Last edited:
santa teresa park regular

massive: theres a single track that veers to the right off of stiles, right after the first bridge after the first hill on stiles (coming from fortini). This will take you into what we call the enchanted forest cuz at 5 in the morning it is freaky. You have to go down some off camber narrow single track and it will cross a creeek, and then small climb out to the fortini trail, from where you can head to rocky ridge to the left or go right to the fortini parking lot.

EC70 said:
I think they are having DH races there on sunday, I'll try to make it

I heard a lot of the trails are closed off for the races - which is why I'm planning on Saturday.

luvswind said:
Good riding at Parisma, Saratoga gap trail...
I would be interested!

What kind of bike are you riding? I used to like doing Skeggs / El Corte de Madera, but I don't have the same climbing legs that I used to have.

While the big group rides we used to organize on the board kind of dissolved, I'm sure you could stir up some sort of interest again.

Thanks for the update crash
If you see a guy riding a white hard tail, thad be me.

Re: santa teresa park regular

rsrai said:
massive: theres a single track that veers to the right off of stiles, right after the first bridge after the first hill on stiles (coming from fortini). This will take you into what we call the enchanted forest cuz at 5 in the morning it is freaky. You have to go down some off camber narrow single track and it will cross a creeek, and then small climb out to the fortini trail, from where you can head to rocky ridge to the left or go right to the fortini parking lot.

I think I know what you're talking about... I went down the single track for a bit... but it took me to grass area with no trail. I turned around after that wondering why they wouldn't connect stiles to fortini. Now I know!

Thanks for the inside on ST - Rsai.

MrCrash907 said:
I'm on a couple of regional MTB forums as well. One of the local skeptics is saying it's because of the developers plans to build additional houses / condos up there, and the MTB park interferes with that.

Have you been there recently? Hard to say how popular it really is, as I never have to wait in line for a lift as long as there aren't any races that weekend.

I noticed some new racks placed on the lifts for this season. I can't imagine they'd do it if they knew they had intentions of scrapping the program.

I do know they are shutting down two weeks early this year, that much is confirmed. That makes this weekend our last chance to head up there.

This is terrible news. Wish I can make it this weekend.. but the LOVE PARADE is on Saturday and I already bought tickets:( Isn't there anything out there beside NS? Mammoth, Downeiville...?

Kind of sucks to not have any other MTB parks out there except NS.

Vancouver BC ??? It would be nice to get a group up there.
That place is suppose to be the bomb !!:teeth

Last edited:
I'm down for Vancouver next year. I was hoping use Northstar to polish up my skillset - enough that I could really enjoy my trip up to Whistler.

Every time I head up to Northstar, I do something I was too chicken to do before, feeling more confident and capable each time out.

EC70 said:
Thanks for the update crash
If you see a guy riding a white hard tail, thad be me.

What trails do you normally do up there?

I remember seeing the pics of you getting some pretty big air - I can't imagine riding a hardtail on all the rocky trails up there though.

Here is a nice local loop I did a couple weeks ago.

2019195-trail_maps.gif

squidhunter said:

Why would they dump the program? Insurance problems? I've never been up there, but it seems to be a popular spot, I find it hard to believe that theres not enough riders to keep it going.

I dont think they get enough Mtn Bike business to make it as profitable as they'd like to see. Real estate is going insane up there, I could easily see them putting up more ski condos to make a lot more money.

Back