• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

hmmm...
rained. I hate cleaning the mud from the drive train.

Plan B.

Or maybe dirtbike! You guys have fun.

As much as the place needed rain, I wanted to ride off of the wooden stunts. Next Saturday perhaps? We'll talk about it as the week progresses.

Count me in!

I mtn bike...so I'm game whenever we can get a ride planned. Getting ready to go for a ride now in fact!

Count me in!

I mtn bike...so I'm game whenever we can get a ride planned. Getting ready to go for a ride now in fact!

good job dude.

I dunno, when is the ride? Mike wants to do SDF next weekend, I think. I gotta do an ATF event. You make a call!

Can you ride weekdays, say 3pm? Stevens Creek? Next week is pretty busy, but then...

Just remembered - next weekend I'm heading south for the AFM event at Buttonwillow. Weekend after is supposed to be the last Downieville weekend of the year, that might be something for everyone to consider.

Hey Vinnie, I saw your MySpace page - looks like you did Downieville a week ago? Any tips on where to stay the night before? It looks like a good drive out from Sacto, where I normally stay before heading to Northstar.

Where do you normally ride?

There are a few hotels in Downieville, but you need to make reservations now! They are always booked, and for the shuttle ride up the hill. Its a blast up there........

Yo. I am a frequent rider in Santa Cruz. I usually ride at Wilder Ranch or the college considering I am a student. I have a Santa Cruz Heckler. Check out www.mbosc.org There are rides every saturday at Wilder Ranch @ 10a.m. Let me know if you want to put something together. I would love to ride.
Brandon

mtn bike

Was wondering if there's anyone out there that is just starting or getting back into mtn biking. I would like to go with you guys but don't want to kill myself the first time back. (You know dirt bike season is coming, so I'll get banged up enough there) The places you guys go are there easlier trails as well.

:teeth

I am more than happy to go on any ride. For all of you that need help to get back into condition, I am more than willing to rider with you. A ride is a ride. I will do/go very easy and at a slow pace. Lets just do a ride!!! Basically any place to ride has very difficult single tracks to very easy fire roads. We should definitely start on the fire roads until we are all comfortable.

I have a feeling this will only go in circles unless pressed upon everyone. MEET AT WILDER RANCH (Santa Cruz) ENTRANCE NEXT TO THE PARK MAP JUST PAST THE TUNNEL BY THE CATTLE GUARD. BE THERE AT 10A.M.(10/22/2005) There is always a trail leader. Please post if you will be there. I want to get enough people to have an advanced group and a beginner group. I don't want to kill those who haven't been riding in a couple of years. This will be fun I guarantee. Bring your kids too if you'd like. We are family oriented and look out for everyone. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

ok guys, give me the pros and cons with hard-tail vs. full suspension. I'm coming off of my FS trek Y3 (yah, old school), I had some nice forks and other components that made the downhill rock.....but the climbing was miserable. Considered a hard-tail, although, leaning more towards a more efficient FS. Just want to hear mainly from the hard-tail guys, where you ride, and why you like the hard-tail.

The real advantages to a full suspension is that it is easier on your body. Absorbing alot of the shock. A full suspension frame doesnt help when climbing, all your power isused when the bike's suspension is used. BUT, you can get a rear shock with a lock out on which will when climbing turn it into a hard tail. And if you get a front shock with a lock out you'll be set. Also being clipped into your pedals makes climbing alot easier as well. The lock out shocks really work great. I suck at climbing and these things helped me a ton

I find litt or now power loss due to the rear susp on my Marin Mt Vision.

And I run higher tire pressure. More power to the ground. R susp gives you better traction. More powere to the ground.

Better.

FS bikes are geting more and more efficient as the linkage and shock designs are perfected. If this is going to be your only bike, I recommend a FS rig. Somthing newish with current technology. It's true that you will loose some power to the rear, but the advantages in control and comfort outwiegh the disagvantage of not being 100% efficient. In some cases, like technical climbs, FS has the advantage simply because the rear tire stays on the ground.

Alot of your decison should depend on what kind of riding you do. If you spend most of your time on fireroads with a bunch of climbing, a hardtail cant be beat. If you thing is technical single-track and fast downhills (Demo,UCSC,ect), a hardtail is not the best choice.

Get a good "steel" frame for the most shock absorption, if you are going hard tail or no suspension. It is very compliant off road. Steel flexes, where Aluminum and others pound. Titanium may work aswell.

Back