• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Don't think about what will climb better... just climb. Eventually, climbing will just beclimbing regardless of what bike you have....

Look at Harpo... he climbs like a mad man... and he rides a FS.

I'd go with a VPP frame... if ou really wanna put money down for another bike.

MassiveAttack said:
Don't think about what will climb better... just climb. Eventually, climbing will just beclimbing regardless of what bike you have....

Look at Harpo... he climbs like a mad man... and he rides a FS.

I'd go with a VPP frame... if ou really wanna put money down for another bike.

agree completely with MA, just get a bike that is built to suit most of your needs. I dont think the climbing issue should be a major one at all with the current fs bikes, or even the older frames with nice shocks. I ride a bullit with no lockouts and i climb a lot, yah at first it was a pain in the ass switching from a 20 something lb bike to a 40 so lb bike, but it all equilibriates, and you will get a better work out climbing. Going to a hard tail after riding a FS on the same trails is scary, especially downhill.

If your going to keep your FS and youre happy with the capabilities of it, and just want a climber bike for training purposes get a hardtail. Otherwise theres no reason to go for hardtail over FS with the current technology.

I think the major questions before jumping into a FS versus a hardtail is: How much money you looking to spend? Then what kind of riding do you do? Once you answer these two questions you will know what bike will suit you more. In my case I have both....I am such a hypocrit....I have a Heckler with a Talas RLC and a Manitou coil swinger. My hard tail is a Rockhopper with a Judy TT. I ride the Rockhopper to school everyday, but when I ride Wilder....its always the Heckler...

MassiveAttack said:

So if I'm reading this right, you don't mind climbing?:laughing :laughing :laughing Let's ride ECDM before they close down the lower part -- I think Crash will be down for it too. :teeth

And Jungletestical... you want, no wait, you NEED something with 7-9" of travel front and back. ;) ;) Tell me you're down with summer '06!

Last edited:
Real men ride hard tails

2079409-carlmontdrop.jpg

Seriously though I broke a bunch of Trek, Specialized, K2, Kona and other frames so I switched to a Sinister bike and have had ZERO problems with this bike.
Get a bike that can handle the abuse.

I'm thinking an 05 Stumpjumper would suit Cal's needs pretty well - an 05 Enduro if he wants a bike that weighs another two pounds, but would deal with the Northstar abuse a little better.

I love taking the Jekyll out to Northstar because I'm so familiar with it - how it steers, how it reacts. and how well it carries velocity over moderately rutted stuff when the terrain is relatively flat. I'm guessing the Enduro is the same kind of bike.

I saw an 05 Enduro @ Supergo in Mtn View going for $2300 on sale. 05 Stumpjumper FSRs which retail for $2000 are going for 10% off in different places.

who makes the Sinister - izzit a complete bike or just a frameset?

fLyRiCE said:
So if I'm reading this right, you don't mind climbing?:laughing :laughing :laughing Let's ride ECDM before they close down the lower part -- I think Crash will be down for it too. :teeth

If you're on a tank of a DH / FR rig, you're going to be crying for mercy if we drop down Sawpit and climb Tractor at Demo :)

Harpo and his buddy did it without stopping. Unreal.

MrCrash907 said:
I'm thinking an 05 Stumpjumper would suit Cal's needs pretty well - an 05 Enduro if he wants a bike that weighs another two pounds, but would deal with the Northstar abuse a little better.

I love taking the Jekyll out to Northstar because I'm so familiar with it - how it steers, how it reacts. and how well it carries velocity over moderately rutted stuff when the terrain is relatively flat. I'm guessing the Enduro is the same kind of bike.

I saw an 05 Enduro @ Supergo in Mtn View going for $2300 on sale. 05 Stumpjumper FSRs which retail for $2000 are going for 10% off in different places.

I for sure liked having a specific DH bike at northstar. So this next bike probably will just be for the local rides.....i'll steal jeff's DH for northstar... :laughing or rent.

MrCrash907 said:
If you're on a tank of a DH / FR rig, you're going to be crying for mercy if we drop down Sawpit and climb Tractor at Demo :)

Harpo and his buddy did it without stopping. Unreal.

:hand Get it straight... I'll be crying only on the climb up tractor. I'd laugh my ass off all the way down Sawpit. :laughing

From what I hear, Evil makes some bombproof hardtails that accpet long-travel forks too. The Santa Cruz Chameleon is unbreakable (not too pricey either) -- I know mine breaks my back and knees when I ride it. But for the money and performance, it's hard to beat the new 6-6 Specialized Eunduros.

Last edited:
My bike weights like 30 or so pounds and I can climb most hills with it, even with a single sprocket up front.
But it goes really well DH

JnglstTICAL said:
I for sure liked having a specific DH bike at northstar. So this next bike probably will just be for the local rides.....i'll steal jeff's DH for northstar... :laughing or rent.

Pick the right bike man, and you won't need to borrow mine.

5-6-7 inches is the way to go. Don't go for the 3 and get out of the whole Trek mind frame. Mike brings a good point, get a bike you can use day to day and for the once a week rutted ST.

That 05 Enduro is sounding better and better with the 10% discount.

:p

MassiveAttack said:
Pick the right bike man

5-6-7 inches is the way to go. Don't go for the 3 and get out of the whole Trek mind frame. :p
Yeah what he said :teeth

MassiveAttack said:
Pick the right bike man, and you won't need to borrow mine.

5-6-7 inches is the way to go. Don't go for the 3 and get out of the whole Trek mind frame. Mike brings a good point, get a bike you can use day to day and for the once a week rutted ST.

That 05 Enduro is sounding better and better with the 10% discount.

:p

yah yah yah.... :twofinger

UCSC Trails + Wilder

Thinking about the USCS + Wilder trails this weekend, (Sunday).

There's a lot of the internet but nothing really mapped out on the backside.

Anyone here have an ideal route through this area? Or wanna lead a ride Sunday?

Much Thanks!

Last edited:
Back