• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Man - I had a shitty week, and was totally counting on a good run down Sawpit to lift me up.

Instead, I crash twice, tweak my rear deraileur, and add a nice wobble to my front rim.

Oh yeah, Bicyclemech1 rips. I can only imagine the pace if he and Harpo hook up out there.

My shoulder is getting more and more stiff as we speak, as is my neck. Glad I wore the full-face. I still don't understand how I bailed that second time...

Thanks everyone!!

Today was COOL! Soryy to check out early on the climb home, but I made right on time for picking up the wife and got the go ahead to sneak away again. Anyone want to guide me around Wilder Ranch? I havn't been there in 10 years either.

Re: Thanks everyone!!

bicyclemech1 said:
Today was COOL! Soryy to check out early on the climb home, but I made right on time for picking up the wife and got the go ahead to sneak away again. Anyone want to guide me around Wilder Ranch? I havn't been there in 10 years either.

Tony / Hyperlite knows Wilder pretty well. I'd love to give it a go myself.

Hey Greg, it looks like I bent my front rim when I bailed that second time. There's no obvious dent, but there is a good wobble to it. Is that something you can help me out with? If so, just let me know when you have some free time.

Upon closer inspection, my rear derailleur is in fact broken. Tore the chunk of metal off that's supposed to keep it from over-rotating.

Ugh.

:(

demo was fun, definately have to try some more jumps next time, and definately have to take a pack mule with us to carry all our food, pads, and to give me a ride out to the parking lot. thats a stupid climb.

It was great meeting all the people i havent met before and seeing people i havent seen in a while. Fun bunch.

btw my legs cramped twice on the drive home, once when i stopped to get a venti coffee cuz i was passing out, so i ended up looking like jane fonda in front of the crowd at bucks.

While I'm pissed at myself for throwing away what was a great ride to that point, I had a good time with everyone!

It was fun seeing the action at the front for a little bit, with Greg picking on "the kids" as he scurried off into the horizon.

I didn't make that up, btw. I'm very used to getting my ass handed to me on both climbs and descents by a 40 year old bald Super-Jew :)

Man, my bike and my body are both beat. I've already replaced my rear derailleur (it was missing a nice chunk of metal) - unfortunately, my front rim is looking like one of those lopsided kragen spinner hubcaps.

I just remeber cranking as hard as I could coming off of corners, using every berm I could to get the bike turned and maximize corner speed on the downhills. Still, Greg would crank coming into those short chutes between turns and add another bikelength or two every time. It was a lot like riding with someone who corners as well as you, but he's on a 1000 and you're on a 600. Greg flew (and not in the same face first way I did) - I take my hat off to him.

The crash was still the weirdest thing. Carrying some speed down a non-technical bit of singletrack one second, the crunch of a chain falling off the derailleur the next. Then a small *bam* from the front wheel, and I'm literally in the air and looking at the dirt as I'm heading for it face-first. If I knew what a highside looked like (I had two weeks of memory loss the one time I did it), it's probably not too different.

I just remember thinking "what the hell", seconds before I ate shit. As my chinbar dug into the dirt and scooped all kinds of muck into my face, I remember thinking "Hey, good thing I wore this full-face helmet".

I have ideas as to why I crashed, but I'm still not 100% sure. Oh well, next time!

rsrai said:
btw my legs cramped twice on the drive home, once when i stopped to get a venti coffee cuz i was passing out, so i ended up looking like jane fonda in front of the crowd at bucks.
For a big guy on a big bike, you were rippin up that climb at the start. Hope you can make it out to Northstar with us next summer!

My guess on the crash.

Most rear suspensions (all of them except FSR 4-bar and Blur VPP) stiffen up a bit when on the brakes. Match that with big breaking bumps, an unfortunately timed hit, and someone is going over the bars. Check your pm's for fixing your wheel. My offer extends to everyone also. Please let me know if you need bike work.

I bent my rear derailer also from when i clipped a log while following Calvin. Got it fixed this morning. My legs still feel like noodles though.

Nice meeting everyone. That was an awesome ride!!!!

ill definately try my best to make it out to northstar with you guys next season. gotta practice the jumps and drop offs though. teddy thanks for the tips, and greg thanks for the tip about the hubs.

I have to also agree. It was a pretty good ride. Weather was nice, trails were packed and the group was jammin. Great to know that Demo is in our backyard... :)

It was nice to see new and old faces on the ride. Hopefully we can get more of these together. I'm totally down for Wilder/UCSC this weekend.

Greg, we still need your phone #, address, and hours at home. LOL

who has a mini-BBQ? next time we're at demo we 'Q it up out there! I'll bring beer and some meat. Ravi can 'Q up some lettuce and carrots or something.

Last edited:
any evening is good

my info
925-348-0922
I'm usally off work around 3:30 and back from riding around 6.
Any evening usually works for me. I'm in Walnut Creek, and can take care of most anything in an hour or two at the most if you want to hang out for a while.
Let me know if anyone needs work.
Thanks again for Saturday,

Gregory

thanks for your generosity greg.

Cal: that made me hungry

JnglstTICAL said:
who has a mini-BBQ? I next time at demo we 'Q it up out there! I'll bring beer and some meat. Ravi can 'Q up some lettuce and carrots or something.

I've got a mini weber....works wonders.

Anyone know if I'll need to re - lace a front wheel if I change the axel to a 20MM?

Can I just run the same lace but with a different hub?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited:
Back