• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Probably not.

If the diameter of the spoke holes/flange on the two hubs match and the hub flanges are the same width, then you can lace up the new hub with the old spokes. Spokes can only be about 2mm too long or short and still lace up acceptably.(no theads showing or spoke poking into the rim) Any variation in hub dimensions has to be minimal for your spokes to work. I build solid wheels if you need.

Re: Probably not.

bicyclemech1 said:
I build solid wheels if you need.

Greg, I might just have to take you up on the wheel build. I'll let you know soon if I'm gonna go for a set of ust rims.

Jeff, if you're gonna get heavy-duty, thru-axle fork, you might not want to use that xc rim anyway. There are freeride front wheels out there with a convertible hub (from qr to 20mm) that are quite affordable.

Teddy

I'm down

There's a lot of good riding on Mt. Diablo...

IMG_0259.sized.jpg

IMG_2383.sized.jpg

mckittn said:
That looks awesome.... I want to check that out.. is it newbie friendly?

From what I've heard, Diablo is a grind. China Camp in Marin is fairly friendly to newbs, as long as you stay on the "frontside". Arastradero in the Los Altos hills is another one.

When I started riding, I used these website to find different places to ride:

http://www.mtbwest.com/parks-ca.html

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ia-trails/california-bayarea/PLS_4519CRX.ASPX

Or you can just post up - riders of all ability levels are looking for places to go and people to go there with.

What kind of bike did you get?

Nice... thanks Mike..

I got a Specialized Hardrock Sport with Disc Brakes

Dream.jpg

We are going to head up to Folsom and El Dorado Hills for a few days.. I was looking for some trails up there- Looks like there is some potential!

Anybody ever ride Black Diamond Mines in the East Bay?

Fire roads like Diablo and lots of climbing, but depending on what you're into it can be fun. I've ridden it a couple of times, though not recently.

We are going to head up to Folsom and El Dorado Hills for a few days.. I was looking for some trails up there- Looks like there is some potential! [/B]

For a lot of the summer a couple of guys from work and I were riding "Folsom Dike #8" as our Tuesday evening ride. Lots of rolling up and down single track without any major climbs. Depending on how far you want to go, it's a decent ride. We'd usually go about 5-6 miles in and then back out the same way before it got too dark.

UCSC and WILDER this weekend

Looking for someone familiar with the area to lead a ride, if free.

Tony, Rob, Gus...?

I wanna check it out from HWY 9 and down through Wilder and back, but have no clue as to which route should be taken.

Post if you can or can offer a route...

Thanks!

aloois said:
For a lot of the summer a couple of guys from work and I were riding "Folsom Dike #8" as our Tuesday evening ride. Lots of rolling up and down single track without any major climbs. Depending on how far you want to go, it's a decent ride. We'd usually go about 5-6 miles in and then back out the same way before it got too dark.

I used to do the same trail at Folsom (Darrington), but added "Mickey Mouse" to it. A fireroad up to a rusty car, with a super technical downhill taking you back down to the main trail. Kinda tricky to find, but I'd be more than happy to ride it with you one of these weekends. Harpo and I did it a few months back. Great XC trip.

Even better is Clementine and Stagecoach up in Auburn. Once I found those, I stopped going to Lake Folsom. Upper Stagecoach and Culvert / Confluence are like intermediate trails over at Northstar, with a few jumps along the way. Some of the jumps are *big*. There's a neat 10' tall pipe you need to ride through for about 100 or so feet. Cool stuff.

Stagecoach - http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Sierra-Central/Stagecoach

Clementine - http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Sierra-Central/Clementine

A few people have seen the footage of me botching a jump, where I fractured my collarbone. That took place on the Confluence trail, which runs parallel to the river. It's the last 1/3 of the Clementine loop:

http://www.mrcrash.com/videos/crashhard.mpg

Jeff - Tony gave me a trail breakdown of Wilder. I've got a pretty good map of it too, I'll get that your way if you want.

Lisa - Where in East Bay are you? There's some good stuff in these parts.

Crash.. Can you send me a copy of the route... whenever you can.

jeff.leong@gmail.com

Too bad you'll be out on the Street bike this weekend...

// I can watch that crash over and over again... never get tired of it!

:nerd

MrCrash907 said:
I used to do the same trail at Folsom (Darrington), but added "Mickey Mouse" to it. A fireroad up to a rusty car, with a super technical downhill taking you back down to the main trail. Kinda tricky to find, but I'd be more than happy to ride it with you one of these weekends. Harpo and I did it a few months back. Great XC trip.

Even better is Clementine and Stagecoach up in Auburn. Once I found those, I stopped going to Lake Folsom. Upper Stagecoach and Culvert / Confluence are like intermediate trails over at Northstar, with a few jumps along the way. Some of the jumps are *big*. There's a neat 10' tall pipe you need to ride through for about 100 or so feet. Cool stuff.

Stagecoach - http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Sierra-Central/Stagecoach

Clementine - http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Sierra-Central/Clementine

A few people have seen the footage of me botching a jump, where I fractured my collarbone. That took place on the Confluence trail, which runs parallel to the river. It's the last 1/3 of the Clementine loop:

http://www.mrcrash.com/videos/crashhard.mpg

Jeff - Tony gave me a trail breakdown of Wilder. I've got a pretty good map of it too, I'll get that your way if you want.

Lisa - Where in East Bay are you? There's some good stuff in these parts.

Damn.. that crash looks crazy!

I live in Newark... do you know of any places near by?

Man, you guys go WAY out there just to ride. I prefer my own back yard :p I hope to hit up one of the ski resorts in the summer, definitely.

Anyway, there's a lot of climbing to be done on Diablo. Of course, after all that climbing there's only one way to get back home: down :D

I also ride Shell Ridge often. There's also a GREAT loop in Skyline with redwoods, right here in the East Bay. I mostly do fire trails, but I'm starting to look at more technical trails. If anyone's in the East Bay, shoot me an email. I ususally go every Saturday.

IMG_0172.sized.jpg

Last edited:
mckittn said:
Damn.. that crash looks crazy!

I live in Newark... do you know of any places near by?

When I lived in North Fremont, I used to be three miles from Coyote Hills, near the Dumbarton Bridge. I built some pretty good climbing strength on the three hills, and developed my low-speed downhill control coming down some of the steeper singletrack chutes. Nifty little BMX jump park out on the other side of 84, near the industrial parks.

The Hayward Plunge starts at the pool on Mission and turns into a 7 mile loop. All fireroads, but it winds around and has a few stream crossing for variety.

I did a 15 mile loop at Lake Chabot, all fireroads. Nice, but kinda boring.

Joaquin Miller in Oakland has some good technical riding in there, but the hikers and dogs kinda throw my rhythm off. A double loop of the place with two different descents put me at around 7 miles.

We sometimes get newer riders to head up with us to China Camp. Next time that happens, you should join us!

I am mos def in for it.... My bf would love it too...

I think I want to check some of those out :)

Thanks for taking the time to let me know.. I'll keep checking this post to see when the next ride is :)

MrCrash907 said:

Thanks for the offer!
I'm way out of shape at the moment but working on it and I'll keep checking back on this thread as I lose weight and start getting my biking legs back.

I'd love to hook up with some of you guys and go riding, but I'm gonna wait for a bit until I feel confident that I won't be too slow.

Jason

Back