• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I currently run Avid mechanical disc brakes front and rear. After trying out a friend's hydraulic disc brakes - I really like the feel at the lever. I'm now thinking of upgrading (at least the front brake) to hydraulic.

I have a Marzocchi (circa 1999) Z2 BAM(?) fork. Are there mounting constraints with these forks? I also run Chris King hubs, are there any restrictions based upon the bolt pattern for mounting any disc or is there a standard bolt pattern?

Do you run hydraulics? What brand? Like/dislike them? Recommend them?

thanks for any and all constructive input!

==Mark==

I've been running Avid brakes for a couple years now and have ZERO problems with them VS when I rented a bike a N star and the plastic piston fell out of the rear brake lever half way down the hill which = NO BRAKES so I am inclined to the non fluid brakes at this time.

Re: Old tunnel Rd. Location

MrCrash907 said:
Find it yet, Joe?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144832

I think Old Tunnel is on this side of the Berkeley Hills. Those twisties that run up from 24 beside the Bay entrance to the Caldecott.

I'm almost afraid of the pace at the front if you and Greg (bicyclemech1) hook up for a mountain bike ride...

BTW, I'm still trying to trade up with my roadbike. I'm scoping one of these:

2155362-ocr3.jpg
This is basically my bike. Mine is the OCR Limited.

bicyclemech1 said:
It is the road that winds up from the top of Ashby/Hwy 13. Take the 13 exit toward berkely and back track a little to old tunnel. Pace will be mild because we have to do more than twist a throttle to maintain it. The ride does have a couple decent hills in it, but nothing terribly steep or long. I will be starting the ride from walnut creek if anyone wants to start with me for some extra mileage.

Best place to buy a new bike is www.bikesdirect.com. Then bring it to me for free assembly.
Roughly, how long of a ride is it. I might be interested.

Are you guys up for anything on Sunday? We've been doing a lot of road trips south recently, I've been thinking I either want to go north (Annadel) or stay local (Tamarancho / China Camp).

Anyone else interested?

MrCrash907 said:
Are you guys up for anything on Sunday? We've been doing a lot of road trips south recently, I've been thinking I either want to go north (Annadel) or stay local (Tamarancho / China Camp).

Anyone else interested?
Have to check it out with the other half first but depending on whether or not I road bike (and for how long) on Saturday, I might be up for a quick (and I do mean quick) trip around China-Camp.

bicyclemech1,
How long of a road loop were you talking about on Saturday?

Did you guys make it to china camp last weekend before they torn down those ladder you were talking about??

Saturday ride

I am leaving from my place by rossmoor. I will climb Pinehurst and drop down to meet anybody at the designated start point. Round trip for me will be about 60. Round trip for the posted ride will be about 35.

EC70 said:
Did you guys make it to china camp last weekend before they torn down those ladder you were talking about??

Sure did. Some pics of the guys who were actually hitting the stunts:

2158318-battleship.jpg

The big road gap:

2158325-roadgap.jpg

Shall we set something up for Sunday? Anyone else want to try Tamarancho? I was thinking Tamarancho in the morning, 9 AM. After a loop of Tamarancho, we could hit both sides of China Camp on the way back to civilization.

Tamarancho is 10 miles + 1 to 2 miles of pavement total from the parking lot to the trailhead. Both sides of China Camp add up to about 15 miles.

Both places ride pretty well in the wet, thanks to the rock and the ground cover.

Anyone interested?

bicyclemech1 said:
I am leaving from my place by rossmoor. I will climb Pinehurst and drop down to meet anybody at the designated start point. Round trip for me will be about 60. Round trip for the posted ride will be about 35.
Hmmm, 60 miles might be just a bit much for me. Let's see how the weather looks and I'll get back to you.

MrCrash907 said:
Shall we set something up for Sunday? Anyone else want to try Tamarancho? I was thinking Tamarancho in the morning, 9 AM. After a loop of Tamarancho, we could hit both sides of China Camp on the way back to civilization.

Tamarancho is 10 miles + 1 to 2 miles of pavement total from the parking lot to the trailhead. Both sides of China Camp add up to about 15 miles.

Both places ride pretty well in the wet, thanks to the rock and the ground cover.

Anyone interested?
I might be in for C-C but nothing more. And i'll probably want to do it in the morning.

Gimme a time, Joe. I can do Tamarancho afterwards. Is the Bionic Columbian going to be in attendance?

MrCrash907 said:
Gimme a time, Joe. I can do Tamarancho afterwards. Is the Bionic Columbian going to be in attendance?
I think the bionic boy will be joining us. If I only do the 35 mile version of the road ride on Sat then I should be able to easilly do China Camp on Sunday. Let's talk about the time , .........and, ........ maybe you hitting the road with us on Sat.

Back