• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

MassiveAttack said:
China Camp still on for Sunday? If so... I'm there.
Sunday, 9AM @ the trailhead. Both sides. Possibly Tamarancho afterwards.

Bring your legs :)

JnglstTICAL said:
me and zookrider are riding tomrrow [saturday] am if you wanna join. call me.

no can do... gotta do the xmas shopping thing today.

MrCrash907 said:
Sunday, 9AM @ the trailhead. Both sides. Possibly Tamarancho afterwards.

Bring your legs :)

9AM may be a llittle too early. Got company xmas party tonight is SF and thing to go to after. I'll try and make it out later.

got a question for all the guru's.
want to get a mountain bike,
have been riding a sc blur and have been loving it, but its a med, and i need a large.
i don't want to spend more than about 1000 but want something that is full suspension.
any one have any susgestions? new or used is fine
thanks

How much later? The pace uphill is gonna be quick - it's looking like me, Harpo, bicyclemech1, and the Bionic Columbian. I suspect we'll be done in 2 hours, and could be at Tamarancho by noon.

Interested in a loop at Tamarancho?

bishop said:
got a question for all the guru's.
want to get a mountain bike,
have been riding a sc blur and have been loving it, but its a med, and i need a large.
i don't want to spend more than about 1000 but want something that is full suspension.
any one have any susgestions? new or used is fine
thanks

Do you plan on selling the Blur for that much?

I've seen some Stumpjumper XCs going for $1350 - I think those are those are one of the better deals around.

Check this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147143

I think it was a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR that retailed for $1500, with the shop giving 10% OFF. The rear suspension with it's multiple pivot design should be a nice balance between compliance and pedalling efficiency, in addition to working over bumps under braking (where single pivot designs suffer).

Anything more than 4 inches of travel starts to feel a little loose to me for general trail riding.

Buy a FSR

Sell the blur frameset if it is too small. Buy a FSR frame, or any 4bar linkage frame in the right size. All your parts should swap on the frames with the possible exception of a front derailleur. The FSR is a spectacular XC bike, even in the new 120 travel configuration. If you are much over 190lbs, you might want to consider the Enduro frameset for its added stiffness. A large Enduro weighs about 6.5 lbs vs 5.7 for the FSR. But the rigidity is very noticable. Keep your eye on ebay. I did see a Ironhorse "hollowpoint" on ebay that was on shop blowout for $200. It did not come with a shock, but this is a direct knock off of the blur(probably made in the same taiwan factory. SSHHH. Industry secret) with the exception of different shock location and your existing shock should bolt right in, or ebay a shock too.
I can do the parts swap and suspension set up in 1 day for free.
Good Luck,
Gregory

Did you guys make it out to Fremont Older last weekend?

My legs are still killing me. A "short" 25 or so mile roadbike ride on Saturday with Harpo, Bicyclemech1, and Ivan the Bionic Columbian. 13-15 miles on Sunday at China Camp with Harpo, with another 12 at Tamarancho immediately afterwards for good measure. Monday morning my regular 5 mile morning workout - a quick climb up to Grizzly Peak and back.

I'm enjoying Tamarancho more every time I do it. I'm thinking it's time for Annadel tho...

questions for ya mtbike gurus:

are full suspension mt bikes nowadays good for climbing up rocky hills...?

does it help keep traction better than a hardtail...?

thanks...

You loose some energy climbing hills with full suspension, but they have gotten alot better these days and you can even buy bike where the suspension locks so it acts like a hard tail.
Do some research

which would be a better x-country bike?
sc superlight
or
spec. stumpjumper

and where would be the best place to get it?

bishop said:
which would be a better x-country bike?
sc superlight
or
spec. stumpjumper

and where would be the best place to get it?
I like the four-bar rear suspension design of the Stumpjumper a little better than the single pivot design of the Superlight. It's designed to isolate pedaling forces better than a single pivot, in addition to working a little better on the brakes.

Lots of bike shops are discounting 05 models to make room for the 06 models. Performance bike (was SuperGo) in Mountain View had some great deals on Specialized bikes last time I went by there.

V4 said:
questions for ya mtbike gurus:

are full suspension mt bikes nowadays good for climbing up rocky hills...?

does it help keep traction better than a hardtail...?
I lose some energy climbing with a full suspension when it bobs. But when I'm not going 100%, it feels as though the rear tire is following the terrain a little better, smoothing out the ride.

Back