• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

i think climbing rocky terrain is much easier on a fs bike. the bit of energy lost is kind of compensated for by being able to maintain traction over larger rocks, which would stop you on a ridgid.

bishop said:
which would be a better x-country bike?
sc superlight
or
spec. stumpjumper

and where would be the best place to get it?

I have a superlight and love it. It's my 1st FS bike. I have been on a hardtail for a lonnnnnng time. Like Mike said, pretty much any new FS bike will be good, just don't get one from target.

I spent a summer doing 10 miles a day on a Toys R Us / Wal Mart mountain bike. Logged over 500 miles on it before getting my first "real" bike - a GT I-Drive 3.0. My climbing legs have never been as strong as they were then, thanks to that 50 pound tank :)

My local bike shop had a base model 05 Stumpjumper FSR going for 1500, minus 10% due to the end of year clearance on 05 bikes.

I'm looking to get some protective gear for riding off-road. What knee/shin protectors should I look at? Anyone use these .

I ride on the cheap, since this is a hobby I can't afford and don't have the same level of passion for. But...

I have learned since I through away my Wal-Mart 50 pound full suspension mountain bike that having the extra work to pump the suspension up hill is worth it to have the control for going down hill fast, especially having better braking action.

I have also learned that if I am going to ride in snow anymore, I want disc brakes.

Riding in the snow can be such a drag.

2174426-snow_biking.jpg

I wear Fox standard shin/knee pads when I ride. I which they had upper straps, but I didn't think about it seriously when I bought them. However I did go down at a slow speed (intentionally locking up the rear on a slick wood pier doing 180's :D) and landed straight on the pads. I would have been in a lot of pain if I wasn't wearing them.

The one time I forgot to put on my pads in the past couple ofd months, my foot slipped on the pedals while trying to wheelie up a ledge and my knee when straight into the neck for the bars. That was painful, and lasted about a week.

My friend uses those fox ones as well and like them.
Here a little more snow for this time of year :wow

2175533-winterride.jpg

so i have a question for the guru's again

went to preformance bikes like crash susgeated, was there for about 2 min before i left. not at all happy with them so not going to go back there.

finally found a place that had the superlight and the stumpjumer in stock and took both for a spin. i think i am acctaully going to lean towards the superlight but if i can get a stumpjumper for a good price i would go that way.

but now where to go to get one? any susgestion as a place where i will not pay msrp? superlight or stump jumper. in need of a large.

bishop said:
so i have a question for the guru's again

went to preformance bikes like crash susgeated, was there for about 2 min before i left. not at all happy with them so not going to go back there.

finally found a place that had the superlight and the stumpjumer in stock and took both for a spin. i think i am acctaully going to lean towards the superlight but if i can get a stumpjumper for a good price i would go that way.

but now where to go to get one? any susgestion as a place where i will not pay msrp? superlight or stump jumper. in need of a large.
Craigslist

Superlight vs. Stumpjumer

Bishop,
When choosing a bicycle always remember that they're like blue jeans--they gotta fit. When your bike doesn't fit you properly, your weight isn't evenly distributed across your wheels (men usually wind up with too much weight on their front), and all the techno-trickery you buy can't make up for that imbalance. Any bike shop/employee worth their salt shouldn't even let you buy a bicycle without watching you ride it and evaluating how it fits you.

Here are a couple quick tips:

If the saddle is close to either end of its adjustment, all the up or all the down, the bike, or at least that size, is not for you.

Minor adjustements in the cockpit, different bars, different stem, etc., are fine. Huge adjustments are not. If they're needed, that's not the bike/size for you.

For the type of bike you are shopping for, you should not, I repeat, not, be able to put your feet on the ground while sitting on the saddle. If you can, the bike is too small for you.

At the bottom of your pedal stroke, you knee should be almost straight. Not entirely, but close.

Finally, most people buy bikes that are too small for them. I'd estimate about 80% of the bicycles I see are too small for the people riding them. Now matter how crazy it sounds, always, always test ride a size larger than you think you need. And take your time--get to know it before you decide it's too big.

I should mention that I'm speaking from experience here; I spent 12 years fitting mountain bikes in shops all over the northern rockies.

Here's a great website with a weath indispensable info.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_suspension/product_123150.shtml

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_suspension/product_123231.shtml

Just in case I'm not allowed to post links (I'm a newbie to BARF), just google "mountain bike reviews" and click the first link that comes up. Then use the pull-downs for reviews of what you're shopping for.

Good luck to you and I hope to see you on a trail some day!
Greggar

JnglstTICAL said:
what u think guys, weather too bad to ride? ;)

Did you drive back from Tahoe in this? I just cruised out to Sacramento for the day - it's naaaaasty!

MrCrash907 said:
Did you drive back from Tahoe in this? I just cruised out to Sacramento for the day - it's naaaaasty!

it was a long drive home last night. i wanted to mtn bike today (why i game home), but the weather looks pretty shitty. time for winter sports solis!

where do you guys think the best place to get a xt build kit for a mountain bike is?

and who in the south bay stocks shoes in size 13?

thanks

Back