• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I have a side question to all the MTB fanatics on this board?

/what is the benefit of having wave rotors on the new bikes?

Better heat distribution?

stan23 said:
what is the benefit of having wave rotors on the new bikes?
From Galfer's web site:

GALFER’s signature product has to be the “wave” rotor, which we invented over 10 years ago! We know that many riders will buy it for its sexy look or its 15% lighter weight, but there is a reason for its design. The wave pattern keeps the entire braking system substantially cooler removing hot air from the caliper and preventing the leading edge of the brake pad from staying at one place on the rotor for any given point in time. The wave rotor also expels dirt and debris, which will prematurely chew up the pads.

I have a set of Galfer wave rotors on my Jekyll. Had a bit of an issue with the pads dragging on the rotors at first, but they're working really well now.

MrCrash907 said:

I have a set of Galfer wave rotors on my Jekyll. Had a bit of an issue with the pads dragging on the rotors at first, but they're working really well now.

I didn't think they made those kind of rotors for Mountian bikes they must look and work pretty good

MrCrash907 said:

POSER :twofinger
Stop with all the bling and learn how to ride!! :laughing :laughing :laughing :wow

Harpo said:
POSER :twofinger
Stop with all the bling and learn how to ride!! :laughing :laughing :laughing :wow

Keep it up and I'll have to bring that kid out again with the sweats, no helmet, and the 7 year old GT with blown fork seals to keep you in check ;)

EC70 said:
Yous a crazy MOFO MRCrash the only time to run is when chased ! :laughing :laughing

How about when you're chasing... a nice set of legs? :)

EC70 said:
I didn't think they made those kind of rotors for Mountian bikes they must look and work pretty good

06HardrockCompDisc_Arm_l.jpg

looks cool.

MrCrash907 said:
Looks like fun, but I can't risk injuring myself before a triathlon I've been training for.

Here's some footage of last year's CHDH (Corral Hollow Downhill), formerly known as the GGG (Groovy Gravity Games).

http://www.teamwrongway.com/ggg/2005/ggg_2005c.wmv

On another note, I have the hots for this SC Nomad with a Maverick build kit - 6" travel, USD dual crown forks, the works! And it only weighs 29 lbs...

2316567-nomad1.jpg

:laughing great vid..brings back lots of memories (raced DH for about 6 years;) :teeth ) love that muddy hill...lessons I learned... keep the wheels turning, butt back over the rear tire and when those alternate lines get slimey (they always do) go for the line covered in water...everyone stays away from that one, but the ground is usually pretty firm under the water;)
Bet some of those guys were crying after that one:laughing .
thanks for sharing;)

im heading up monte bello rd
to black mountain
then down to stevens canyon rd

if anyone wants to ride ill be at stevens creek resavior (sp) at about 10 tomrorow (fri)

Last edited:
Soquel Ride / BBQ

I've seen other groups do it, and it looked like fun. With that in mind, I thought it would be fun to try ourselves.

When things settle out and the trails (hopefully) dry out in a few weeks, I was wondering who might be interested in a Soquel Demo ride, with a BBQ in the parking lot afterwards?

To maximize the fun factor and the potential interest, I'm thinking we could split it into two groups. One that does a double loop (down sawpit / up tractor or sulpher / down braille), and one that does a single loop (down braille).

I'm thinking Sunday April 2nd would be a good day for it. Naturally, nothing is set in stone yet. With that in mind, is anyone interested? If it happens, I'd be in for the double loop.

Re: Soquel Ride / BBQ

MrCrash907 said:
I've seen other groups do it, and it looked like fun. With that in mind, I thought it would be fun to try ourselves.

When things settle out and the trails (hopefully) dry out in a few weeks, I was wondering who might be interested in a Soquel Demo ride, with a BBQ in the parking lot afterwards?

To maximize the fun factor and the potential interest, I'm thinking we could split it into two groups. One that does a double loop (down sawpit / up tractor or sulpher / down braille), and one that does a single loop (down braille).

I'm thinking Sunday April 2nd would be a good day for it. Naturally, nothing is set in stone yet. With that in mind, is anyone interested? If it happens, I'd be in for the double loop.
I have to see what work brings but as for now I'm in, ... for the double:wow

I used to ride religiously on Saratoga Gap, but beemn slowing getting myself back in shape.

and yep, I still have my 00 Trek Fuel 90

Last edited:
Mikeeh76 said:
I used to ride religiously on Saratoga Gap, but beemn slowing getting myself back in shape.

and yep, I still have my 00 Trek Fuel 90

Do the single loop - Soquel is a good time! Most of the difficult stunts and technical bits have easy detours.

Jeff Tigert says he's going to try to make it. If he's able to get something with 7" of travel like he wants to, look out!

Back