• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

JnglstTICAL said:
double saint joes loop yesterday, weather was awesome....spring is here!! YAY!

2400513-ellsworth_stjoes.jpg

Nice Calvin........

I better get back in shape for this haha

Meet Stumpy!

I just picked this guy up last week. He's my new backup bike, as I abuse the heck out of the big happy green Cannondale.

2402572-stumpy.jpg

Re: Meet Stumpy!

NICE!:thumbup

MrCrash907 said:
I just picked this guy up last week. He's my new backup bike, as I abuse the heck out of the big happy green Cannondale.

2402572-stumpy.jpg

Re: Meet Stumpy!

MrCrash907 said:

2402572-stumpy.jpg
Ahhh, F!@# You!! Last time someone said "Meet Stumpy" they were talking about me. :laughing :laughing :twofinger

The bike was too good of a deal to pass on. Cheap components on it though - forks have no rebound damping, and the shock has too much. Neither had adjustments outside of air preload.

Downieville Downhill Race

I'm thinking of giving this a go. Anyone else interested?

http://www.downievilleclassic.com/pages/dh.html

I asked someone how tough the course was. Here was his reply:

"The DV DH course has you riding through creek beds, over large rock beds and rock fields, bridges, shale, long narrow cliff side singletrack, drop offs, and pretty much everything else you can think of....."

Some pictures:

http://www.petefagerlin.com/downieville.htm

A brief description:

Dropping 4,700 vertical feet in 15 miles from Packer Saddle, the Downieville Downhill is the longest and most demanding downhill race in the nation. The singletrack course features the world famous Butcher Ranch, Third Divide and First Divide Trails. A perfect Sierra blend!

Butcher Ranch trail offers every aspect of a true MOUNTAIN MAN downhill; long-wooded corridors for reaching tear-shedding speeds, rock drop-offs to keep the pucker power puckering, and to bring true downhill fanatics to their overprotected knees, the Downieville Downhill serves up a quarter mile, 550’ climb midway- guaranteed to get heart rates into the red zone. From the top of the climb there’s no time to relax, because Third Divide trail plunges riders down another 1,500' into the Lavezzola Creek canyon for the fastest section of the course. After Third Divide it’s all pedal-work into Downieville on First Divide Trail.

I just found out the Downieville DH has sold out.

So I think I might do the XC race instead. It starts with 3000 feet of climbing in 8 miles, with a total of 28 miles of riding, 4,400 feet of climbing, and 5,700 feet of descending.

I think I'll be logging a lot of miles at Mission Peak to get ready for this...

MrCrash907 said:
I just found out the Downieville DH has sold out.

So I think I might do the XC race instead. It starts with 3000 feet of climbing in 8 miles, with a total of 28 miles of riding, 4,400 feet of climbing, and 5,700 feet of descending.

I think I'll be logging a lot of miles at Mission Peak to get ready for this...
You're On KRAK!! :twofinger

i just picked up a Manitou HT bike. i did some research and found out they only made them in the mid 90's. it is said to be the best hardtail frame ever made and is SUPER collectable. looks like its for trade or sale. :teeth

Soquel (sp) On Sat

OK, who is up for an early, And I do mean early, ride at Soquel on Saturday morning. Preferably a double loop. Say, start at 8:00 am. I have to be home early. many other obligations that day and I really would love to do an early morning BirthDay ride. And don't ask how F@#$EN old I am :twofinger I'M OLD!!

So I guess this is everyones chance to woop and old guys ass. :laughing

Got a question for all the hydraulic brake users. I got my first mtn. bike with hydraulic brakes last summer (Juicy 7's I think) and it has been sitting in the garage during the winter. I went to take it out for a ride yesterday and the brakes had tighened up considerably, to the point where the tires would not spin. I had to use the adjustment dial on the level to get the brakes to loosen up, so my question is what causes them to tighten up like that. Does the fluid absorb water or something like that?

Henry Coe

riding outta Hunting hollow on Sunday. The conditions are spectacular there right now.

And no clue on the brakes question...

Tire Question

Greg recommended that I try Kenda Nevegal tires.
Does anyone else have any input on them and what sizes I should run on the front and rear.
Also, think I heard a few people mention that they ran a Nevagal in the rear and a Kenda Blue Groove in the front. ????? :wtf

Any and all input would be welcomed. Also include what sizes you think would be appropriate. Greg, please feel free to chime in with and more info if you have any.

PS. I am presently running a Specialized (not sure which one) on the front (very sweet tire but pretty big and heavy,) ....... and an IRC Mythos XC on the back. Any thoughts??

The Standard one at the top of the No Tubes page looks like what you need. I've checked a couple of places, both of them had it for 80 some odd bucks.

I wouldn't try the Nevegals with the Stans, since it could be a waste. According to several people on mtbr.com, getting them to bead can be tough.

A really popular combination on MTBR seems to be the Mutano Raptor rear with the Weirwolf front. I'm running the 2.24 rear with a 2.3 front, which might be a little big for the speeds you like to run it. I find those sizes to be a nice balance between XC and DH conditions.

Back