• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

so what's the story? has anyone been riding? solis, lets get that SDF ride/BBQ planned!

Rode Saratoga gap last Sunday and Lime Ridge (in Concord) 2 days ago. Saratoga Gap was a shit-lopad of fun. Yippee!! :banana:banana Lime ridge was messy as shit. :(

Got a road-bike?? 50-60 mile road ride starting at my house in Lafayette Sunday morning.

Did S. Gap yesterday actually.....I dont have a road bike...should prob get one though....?

JnglstTICAL said:
so what's the story? has anyone been riding? solis, lets get that SDF ride/BBQ planned!

Here's the story. From MTBR.com, pictures from Highland Way, about a mile from the trailhead:

2435726-farslide.jpg

A little closer:

2435731-middleslide.jpg

anyone want to ride today after work? 6ish? South Bay that is.

...the scenery this time of year @ saint joes hill is pretty damn good...

JnglstTICAL said:
anyone want to ride today after work? 6ish? South Bay that is.

...the scenery this time of year @ saint joes hill is pretty damn good...

dammit, i just saw your post..........how bout tomorrow?

Sat morning asskicker on MT Diablo anyone?

I am thinking a very early start on Mitchell Canyon. The climb is ugly. Mitchel to eagle peak then down meridian ridge(also known as the freeway) and across the flats back to mitchel canyon. Roll at 8 to beat the heat. This ride isn't epic, but it's tough. The freeway is safe for 50-60mph if anyone wants to go that fast.
Map out Mitchell Canyon Rd in Clayton for directions.

Last edited:
Can't do Diablo but you're more than welcome to join us for Annedel (sp?) in Santa Rosa. :thumbup

Who wants to help a n00b out?

I've been to a couple of shops here in town, and so far I've looked at:

06 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc ($450)
06 Specialized Rockhopper ($520, no disc brakes)
06 Giant Yukon ($470)
06 Giant Ranier

Plus a couple Iron Horse bikes, and the LBS also carries Marin. I *almost* bought a closeout 05 Marin B17 for 500 bucks (discount 160 bucks at Sport Chalet) but I'm dumb about this stuff.

Oh yeah, I also was looking very hard at the Ibex Alpine 550, 650, and Ignition 2.

*sigh*

It's almost as bad as choosing a motorcycle.

mikev said:
Who wants to help a n00b out?

I've been to a couple of shops here in town, and so far I've looked at:

06 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc ($450)
06 Specialized Rockhopper ($520, no disc brakes)
06 Giant Yukon ($470)
06 Giant Ranier

Plus a couple Iron Horse bikes, and the LBS also carries Marin. I *almost* bought a closeout 05 Marin B17 for 500 bucks (discount 160 bucks at Sport Chalet) but I'm dumb about this stuff.

Oh yeah, I also was looking very hard at the Ibex Alpine 550, 650, and Ignition 2.

*sigh*

It's almost as bad as choosing a motorcycle.

Honestly, I would go used bike. If your a n00b, used bike will be good to see if its something you really want to do....and start dumping more money into. Search CL, usually a ton of bikes on there....you can find deals like this and even better: http://www.craigslist.org/pen/bik/162205295.html

I've been keepin an eye on CL, but it's hard to know what's decent and what's not.

mikev said:
I've been keepin an eye on CL, but it's hard to know what's decent and what's not.

yup, i'm always a little dubious about friends buying a frameset or whole bike on CL b/c it's hard to guage the fatigue status of the metal. and then...was the bike stolen?

all the bikes that you mention look like they're fairly comparable. disc brakes are very sought after and sometimes manufacturers might skimp on other parts in order to have that feature.

only other thing i could add is that if you're going to buy new, get your bike from the shop that's cool to you as a beginner and willing to walk you through the choices, because you'll be coming back for tuneups, parts, gear etc...

mikev said:

Post what bikes you are lookin at, there are plenty of mtn bike experts on this thread alone to help you out!!! Really, if you are just getting into it, or want to try it, buy used first.

LBS in town has a base model 05 Specialized Rockhopper for a very reasonable price (399). Well within my budget!

is a base model (non disc brake, apparently lower level manitou fork) something that's easily upgradeable for the future (if I really get into it, is the frame decent enough to keep around for awhile basically)

mikev said:
LBS in town has a base model 05 Specialized Rockhopper for a very reasonable price (399). Well within my budget!

is a base model (non disc brake, apparently lower level manitou fork) something that's easily upgradeable for the future (if I really get into it, is the frame decent enough to keep around for awhile basically)

you're right to be considering the frame since that's the only real "component" that can't be upgraded. in this price range, the frame will almost certainly be made from a fairly modest alloy. which means it will be heavy compared to higher category bikes. it will be perfectly functional, but it's hard to justify throwing top of the line fork and shifting at it, etc. but this is fine! if you're riding the hell out of it and wearing out the components, you're probably gonna be eyeing something in a higher price range anyway. sorry to break it to you, but that entry bike is just a gateway drug to more expensive ones.

the main thing i preach is fit. a very light and high performance frame will not be comfortable if it's too cramped or stretched out on you. getting the fit is hard to do! better to make fitting mistakes on an entry level bike instead of one that costs 2,3,5 times as much.

these appear to be the bikes that you were comparing that are on specialized's website:
http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?minisite=10080&spid=12989
http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12278&bikeTab=techspec

Back