• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

zookrider98 said:
slowly getting back into it agaiin. Did montabello last weekend to show myself how out of shape i am. You been hittin it up?

not at all....give me a call and we'll do an "out of shape" ride!!

can somebody help me out real quick?

I'm looking at the Ibex Ignition 3 which is highly highly recommended from the folks at mtbr.com.

I'm not very educated on components, frames, weight, etc. (Actually hardly educated at all). However I'm told that these bikes have pretty good components for the money and are very upgradeable.

Basically it's something like this or a Specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper w/ Disc Brakes from the local shops here.

mikev said:
can somebody help me out real quick?

I'm looking at the Ibex Ignition 3 which is highly highly recommended from the folks at mtbr.com.

I'm not very educated on components, frames, weight, etc. (Actually hardly educated at all). However I'm told that these bikes have pretty good components for the money and are very upgradeable.

Basically it's something like this or a Specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper w/ Disc Brakes from the local shops here.

I don't know the disc brake market too well, but the components ( shifters,derailers ) are decent at best. The top of the line for shimano is XTR, then XT, then LX, and so forth. The only LX component is the rear derailer. The deore rapidfire shifters are not even LX. Depending on what price your paying, i would guess middle of the road. If you get it cheap enough, you can always upgrade down the road for more durable stuff........for not that much $$$

For around $800-900, you can get a new Specialized FSR XC. I've already seen sales on the 2006 models to make room for the 2007s.

06FSRXCPro_Sil_l.jpg

I got mine (my backup bike) used for under $600.

Now is a good time to look for left over models specials from last years bikes

EC70 said:
Now is a good time to look for left over models specials from last years bikes

The local shop to me doesn't have sqat for last year's closeouts. :(

mikev said:
The local shop to me doesn't have sqat for last year's closeouts. :(

Some others you might want to try:

- Mike's Bikes in Berkeley
- Performance Bikes in Walnut Creek / Fremont
- Livermore Cyclery in Dublin
- Sports Basement in Cupertino / San Francisco
- Pleasant Hill Cyclery in Pleasant Hill

There are a grand total of zero full suspension stumpjumpers under 1000 bucks on Craigslist.

The entry level one is actually an "FSR XC", without the Stumpjumper name. I saw one going for 800-900 new in a bike shop near Downieville in Nevada City.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

What are some other good keywords to search CL for?

MrCrash907 said:
Some others you might want to try:

- Mike's Bikes in Berkeley
- Performance Bikes in Walnut Creek / Fremont
- Livermore Cyclery in Dublin
- Sports Basement in Cupertino / San Francisco
- Pleasant Hill Cyclery in Pleasant Hill

The performance in Fremont closed down. It was right down the street form me.:cry

mikev said:
There are a grand total of zero full suspension stumpjumpers under 1000 bucks on Craigslist.

What size do you need? Livermore Cyclery in Livermore has a Large 06 FSR XC for $1000 - 10% end of year closeout. It's a full suspension w/ v-brakes.

I saw a GT I-Drive full suspension going for $800 something at Performance Bike today. Team Performance members get another 10% (to be used on the next visit).

Also, in the free CitySports magazine that's available at many sporting goods stores (grabbed one at Livermore Cyclery and another at Performance), there's a 15% off anything in the store @ Sports Basement coupon.

Back