• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

mirror
lights, front and rear
padded shorts (someone said that go w/ Pearl Izuma)

I need some recommendations. I'm new to cycling and I'm not sure were to start, so I thought I'd ask all of you.

I have the bicycle, but now I need to get the extras, these are the things off of the top of my head I could think of that I would need, going any real length of distance.

I'm in need of:

-flat repair kit
-cycling computer (not sure if wired or wireless is better)
-what of you use for hydration, camelback or bottles

helmet and clothing recommedations would be greatly appreciated as well as anything else I'm missing or I would definately need.

Oh, one of my goals is to start commuting in on the bicycle. What lights do all you commuters use?

just bought headlights through amazon.. magicshine 1000 lumens...

That's a good one. I have their original version. Does tend to get hot, and it plays havoc with my computer. Perfect for my commuter thought.

Longshot. Does anyone have Dura Ace 7400 or 6400 parts?
I have some DA-7400 parts. Which ones do you need? I have a rare FH-7403 that's 8-spd with both Hyper & Uniglide.

I have some DA-7400 parts. Which ones do you need? I have a rare FH-7403 that's 8-spd with both Hyper & Uniglide.

damn!:laughing Someone has this junk!

Well I have a NOS left shifter. I pretty much need everything else with a 175 crank.
I have a complete 8 speed 105 group if anyones interested.

Oh Ive got the Topeak roadmorph or whatever. The handle and foot thing are awesome. Easily pumps to 130psi and beyond.

Last edited:
thanks, I picked up a Topeak roadmorph since I couldn't find any alternative. I thought it was pretty easy to get to 100 PSI, however, 105lb gf doesn't think that way lol.

I just picked up a Felt F90 for her first road bike. Hopefully this goes well!

I had a homeless looking guy in Santa Cruz wearing one of those knit cap things under a helmet, riding on an old specialized rockhopper- tell me I was a "very good rider" yesterday. I passed him and he caught up at a light. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

I had a homeless looking guy in Santa Cruz wearing one of those knit cap things under a helmet, riding on an old specialized rockhopper- tell me I was a "very good rider" yesterday. I passed him and he caught up at a light. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

Take it as a complement and smile. Remember "Positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will piss of enough people to make it worth it." :laughing

At least you are riding. Been of the bike for almost two weeks now, getting out of shape and getting fat. :party

Take it as a complement and smile. Remember "Positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it will piss of enough people to make it worth it." :laughing

At least you are riding. Been of the bike for almost two weeks now, getting out of shape and getting fat. :party

Haha.. . It was just kind of an odd encounter. He was a nice enough guy, but I didn't really know what to say. Told him to enjoy the day or something.

Also I don't use strava or anything. I was thinking of getting one of those garmin edge 500 gps computers in the next few weeks though and trying it out.

more progression on my build

634_10151069870201497_1066459400_n.jpg

Also I don't use strava or anything. I was thinking of getting one of those garmin edge 500 gps computers in the next few weeks though and trying it out.

A Garmin would be awesome, I want one of those too eventually. In the meantime you can get the Strava app for your smartphone, it's free. I have it for iPhone, it's a cool way to keep track of your rides.

Yesterday I was shocked at just how good the new iOS 6 software (and perhaps a better Strava app too) is at managing the battery life on an iPhone 4S. Last year the constant GPS function of Strava would kill my old iPhone 3GS battery in about 2.5 hours, it was basically a useless app back then unless you did short rides. Then I got the 4S and Strava would make it a little over 4 hours before it killed the battery.

Yesterday I did the first long ride after updating to iOS 6, started out with battery at 98%, ran Strava for SIX HOURS (five hours moving time, a 60-mile ride) and battery was only down to 43%. I couldn't believe it, unreal battery life now! :thumbup

yea, id love to splurge on a nice garmin but they are EX-PENSIVE! like 300+ bucks! the app on my phone does drain battery life too but not so much that it makes the app unusable. one good thing about strava is that it is really really accurate. it recorded my mileage down to the tenths of a mile the same as my cateye recorded.

A Garmin would be awesome, I want one of those too eventually. In the meantime you can get the Strava app for your smartphone, it's free. I have it for iPhone, it's a cool way to keep track of your rides.

Yesterday I was shocked at just how good the new iOS 6 software (and perhaps a better Strava app too) is at managing the battery life on an iPhone 4S. Last year the constant GPS function of Strava would kill my old iPhone 3GS battery in about 2.5 hours, it was basically a useless app back then unless you did short rides. Then I got the 4S and Strava would make it a little over 4 hours before it killed the battery.

Yesterday I did the first long ride after updating to iOS 6, started out with battery at 98%, ran Strava for SIX HOURS (five hours moving time, a 60-mile ride) and battery was only down to 43%. I couldn't believe it, unreal battery life now! :thumbup

Yeah that's what I heard, and I went out with my friend once and he was always dicking with his smartphone and it seemed annoying so I never tried, plus I have an old ass iphone, I think I'll just break down and get the 5 and then try it.

yea, id love to splurge on a nice garmin but they are EX-PENSIVE! like 300+ bucks! the app on my phone does drain battery life too but not so much that it makes the app unusable. one good thing about strava is that it is really really accurate. it recorded my mileage down to the tenths of a mile the same as my cateye recorded.

Garmin Edge 305 is less than that and does everything except watts I believe. Works well for me. I love the instant gradiant display.

Garmin Edge 305 is less than that and does everything except watts I believe. Works well for me. I love the instant gradiant display.

Is the edge 305 better than the 500? I was going to buy the 500 without the extra sensors because I already have a cadence sensor and HRM computer on my bike and just wanted accurate altitude and total ride time/mapping.

Better? Depends on what is better to you. :dunno

I think the 500 has a bigger display and it might even be in color. It's definitely a little smaller (thinner). Dunno about instant altitude, that's not one of my display fields. I have my 305 set for 6 different fields. Altitude and total climbing distance is displayed once I DL it to Strava.

Also, even the 305 replaces your HR and cadence and speed. Does it all does it wirelessly and of course, if you use Strava or other site or even the software that comes with any Garmin product, all of those metrics are tracked. IOW, you average HR, HR at any part of the ride and highest HR will be part of the tracked metrics.

I think (I don't have one) the big thing with the 500 is watts

"Better" or "worse" is relative. It comes down to what do you want, and what's your budget?

The 305/605 are pretty affordable and good. We got Slyd's Edge and my Forerunner 305 at http://g.factoryoutletstore.com reconditioned, and they've been great for what we need and want. If you're looking to give the technology a try, that's a good way to go. But I'd get the HRM and the bike speed/cadence center. You can get a package deal on all of that, and it's great to have all your data in one place.

With that experience with the 305, I did pay full retail for my Forerunner 910XT, but it was the only real option for all the swimming, running, and biking metrics I wanted.

We do Strava, and it's great for setting goals and tracking progress. I do Garmin Connect as well, since it does swimming better than Strava, but I mostly use Strava to motivate myself.

FWIW, the limit on the Strava phone app seems to be in the 60-65 mile range. A few of us have started with full charges on different phones for various rides, and they all conk out at about that range. The Garmins will do a century and still have charge left.

FWIW, the limit on the Strava phone app seems to be in the 60-65 mile range. A few of us have started with full charges on different phones for various rides, and they all conk out at about that range. The Garmins will do a century and still have charge left.

Ahem. :teeth

Yesterday I did the first long ride after updating to iOS 6, started out with battery at 98%, ran Strava for SIX HOURS (five hours moving time, a 60-mile ride) and battery was only down to 43%. I couldn't believe it, unreal battery life now!

Back