• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

It's not lightweight, but not too bad. Probably 9 speed, which isn't all that bad. Compact crank is nice also. Makes it easier to tackle hills, but since you are in Modesto I don't think that is an issue. :p

Something to give you a better idea of size of bike: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Although when it come down to it, it's more more about overall geometry. I have ridden from 52-56. Nothing that an hour with fitter wouldn't solve.

For gear. The usual stuff gloves, helmet, maybe clipless pedals down the road. Saddle bag with tire levers, spare tube or two, CO2 pump, and/or frame pump.

I completed my solo century last weekend to see if my knee was back in shape. I think I am ready for some real riding with a group now. Does anyone have anything planned?

Hmm probably in September/October time frame.

Awesome thanks for that, yea I am brand new in the biking scene and have no idea what gearing or some of the stuff you mentioned xD My budget is probably around $500 so maybe that bike would be something to go look at?

If its in good shape, I think it's a nice bike that id ride myself. Steel with carbon fork and 105 shifters are good and its pretty too. but it all depends on condition. I'd see if you can get it around 450 to 475.

It's not lightweight, but not too bad. Probably 9 speed, which isn't all that bad. Compact crank is nice also. Makes it easier to tackle hills, but since you are in Modesto I don't think that is an issue. :p

Something to give you a better idea of size of bike: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Although when it come down to it, it's more more about overall geometry. I have ridden from 52-56. Nothing that an hour with fitter wouldn't solve.

For gear. The usual stuff gloves, helmet, maybe clipless pedals down the road. Saddle bag with tire levers, spare tube or two, CO2 pump, and/or frame pump.

Woah that's a lot of measurements! I will probably do that sometime tomorrow.

If its in good shape, I think it's a nice bike that id ride myself. Steel with carbon fork and 105 shifters are good and its pretty too. but it all depends on condition. I'd see if you can get it around 450 to 475.

Awesome maybe I will contact him.

Where are some nice places to ride around here? I am Central Cali down in the valley.

Hey do you ever do either of the altovelo rides? I was thinking of heading down for one of them sometime soon out of curiosity.

Yeah I do a few after race season, and before training starts back up. Usually B on Saturdays. I think they take off at 9 from Los Altos peets. Let me know if you end up going, and I'll try to join, but I won't be able to do it until mid September

Yeah I do a few after race season, and before training starts back up. Usually B on Saturdays. I think they take off at 9 from Los Altos peets. Let me know if you end up going, and I'll try to join, but I won't be able to do it until mid September

Ahh, cool. I was thinking of going to the B one on Saturday to try out a different group ride on the weekend.

If I head down mid-sept or later I'll message you and maybe I'll see you there. :teeth

Wow August was the last post?

I'm getting back in after just getting fitted Friday. I think I hurt my hip training for a Tri and not being properly fitted. MRI-A is in a few weeks.

Anyone have good suggestions on cheap compact road bars? My bike is a 52 Fuji 2006 model. The top tube is 53.xx. Guess the fancy new road bikes are more square in their top tube and vertical tube sizes. During my fitting the guy swapped in a shorter stem which was $50 :facepalm It was a good experience. Bars, seat, levers all were moved around. I'm 5'6 but have a long inseam, long arms and short torso. Coupling that with my right hip pain, getting to the drop is something I rarely did. I also learned about compact bars and the different reach and drop configs. My Fuji bars are stock and no way compact.

Are carbon bars worth the cost? I'm in the $50 or less range for bars.

It would be nice to find a used carbon 50cm bike on CL but all are north of $1,000. Maybe just a frame as my bike is full ultegra. Then, my frame probably isnt worth much alone.

I will never put carbon bars on my road bike, which is full carbon bike. Not worth it IMHO.

My Fuji has a carbon fork and carbon seat stays. I'm sure I wouldnt notice any difference.

Worth it IMO. It takes some of the sting out of the harder bumps, especially important if you are on an aluminum bike.

I started out the same way, alum/carbon bike with aluminum bars, then swapped those out for carbon handlebars. I have since purchased a full carbon road bike. My track bike however, is aluminum with aluminum bars and it is definitely a harsher ride.

To me potential for failure is just not worth it. Maybe somewhat irrational considering, as I mentioned, I have full carbon bike, but it is what it is.

If you are worried about ride comfort swap for 25/28 tires. Assuming your rims can handle them.

I hit the deck on a low-side some years back with aluminum bars. The bars acted as my frame sliders. The bars were intact but completely unrideable as it was bent inboard pretty badly.

My point being that same impact would of had the same outcome whether carbon or aluminum, the bike being unrideable.

Material aside, make sure you have the right width to begin with.

Except with carbon it's less obvious. There might be a crack internally and you wouldn't know until it snaps.

Anyone use a Kinetic Road machine trainer? Debating on buying a used one or waiting and seeing if my dad gets me new one for Xmas. If I buy one, I can ask for a Suunto watch for Xmas instead :teeth

Anyone use a Kinetic Road machine trainer? Debating on buying a used one or waiting and seeing if my dad gets me new one for Xmas. If I buy one, I can ask for a Suunto watch for Xmas instead :teeth

I've had mine almost a year now. Love it, but it's the only trainer I've ever had so I can't help with comparisons. Fairly quiet - can watch TV or bike vids without cranky the volume up to pissoffneighbor

I've had one for about a year. I think I've used it 5 times maybe. I bought it new on ebay and I think it was only $240 or so thinking "this will be great I can hop on for a quick hour every once in a while"... man was I wrong. It sucks all the fun out of riding somehow.

I was out riding in the 30-40 degree weather and not even thinking of using the trainer if that means anything.

I've had one for about a year. I think I've used it 5 times maybe. I bought it new on ebay and I think it was only $240 or so thinking "this will be great I can hop on for a quick hour every once in a while"... man was I wrong. It sucks all the fun out of riding somehow.

I was out riding in the 30-40 degree weather and not even thinking of using the trainer if that means anything.

$100 and a 6 pack??? :teeth Seller I was emailing flaked. Wouldnt allow me to test it with my bike and didnt have a skewer.

Suppose I could invest in cold gear myself. It only have about 45min of light when I get home though.

$100 and a 6 pack??? :teeth Seller I was emailing flaked. Wouldnt allow me to test it with my bike and didnt have a skewer.

Suppose I could invest in cold gear myself. It only have about 45min of light when I get home though.

Get some lights!!

My wife still uses mine sometimes so she'd be upset if I sold it. I'm just saying if you get one, you might not like riding it very much. Also they can really eat up tires, so use one with whatever crappy old tire you have lying around instead of your good ones.

Trainer is boring as hell. I only use mine for warm up before races. If you do get a trainer get one of the fluid ones. They are quieter and have a better resistance curve.

Back