• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

ok so it's been awhile since i have visited this thread:teeth

But advice is needed pleaseeeee!!!
32385182704-vi.jpg

picked up this fixed gear road bike. I have been going back and forth between something like this or getting back into trail/mountain riding. My wife got it from a coworkers daughter who does quite a bit of cycling and wasn't using this bike anymore. we donated 50 bucks for it, she was offering it to us for free but we know she is in college and could use the money. the bike has All-City cranks and hubs, not sure about the frame as the only sticker on it is a reynolds 520 chrome-moly butted frame tubes sticker.

I have been using it on the concrete trails behind my house just to get some quick exercise in and to give me an excuse get out of the house. :laughing

after riding this for a couple days i have come to the conclusion that i need a brake of some sort:laughing
my legs are not what they used to be so some sort of brake is a must if i am going to keep riding. so this is where you guys come in.

most forums I have searched say just get a regular old cantilever brake for the front, even though the rims are not machined for brake pads. I don't have a lot of money to spend so what should i do?
front brake or rear and what type? I have some kids mountain bikes and bikes my son's have grown out of, is it possible to salvage one off one of those bikes?

I don't care about the powder coat finish on the rims. the other thing i saw was a lot of people are starting to use coaster brakes, is it worth it to pick up a rear rim already built with a coaster hub or would it be easy to rebuild a coaster hub into the rim i already have?
thanks for the help:thumbup

Last edited:
ok so it's been awhile since i have visited this thread:teeth

But advice is needed pleaseeeee!!!
32385182704-vi.jpg

picked up this fixed gear road bike. I have been going back and forth between something like this or getting back into trail/mountain riding. My wife got it from a coworkers daughter who does quite a bit of cycling and wasn't using this bike anymore. we donated 50 bucks for it, she was offering it to us for free but we know she is in college and could use the money. the bike has All-City cranks and hubs, not sure about the frame as the only sticker on it is a reynolds 520 chrome-moly butted frame tubes sticker.

I have been using it on the concrete trails behind my house just to get some quick exercise in and to give me an excuse get out of the house. :laughing

after riding this for a couple days i have come to the conclusion that i need a brake of some sort:laughing
my legs are not what they used to be so some sort of brake is a must if i am going to keep riding. so this is where you guys come in.

most forums I have searched say just get a regular old cantilever brake for the front, even though the rims are not machined for brake pads. I don't have a lot of money to spend so what should i do?
front brake or rear and what type? I have some kids mountain bikes and bikes my son's have grown out of, is it possible to salvage one off one of those bikes?

I don't care about the powder coat finish on the rims. the other thing i saw was a lot of people are starting to use coaster brakes, is it worth it to pick up a rear rim already built with a coaster hub or would it be easy to rebuild a coaster hub into the rim i already have?
thanks for the help:thumbup

Are there mounts for a front brake or is it a track frame? Myself, I wouldn't ride without brakes, but then again I wouldn't ride a single speed, and only fixed if I was at the velodrome! If you find out you love riding, it might be easier to just find a proper road bike. Or if it has brake mounts, a new set of rims and some cheap brakes if you dig the single speed.

Yep as Aram said get front brakes, and cheap wheel with braking surface. Any rim brake will do, as long as they fit really.

Last edited:
Are there mounts for a front brake or is it a track frame? Myself, I wouldn't ride without brakes, but then again I wouldn't ride a single speed, and only fixed if I was at the velodrome! If you find out you love riding, it might be easier to just find a proper road bike. Or if it has brake mounts, a new set of rims and some cheap brakes if you dig the single speed.

it has the mounting hole on the front and rear for the older style brake sets. My primary goal for this bike is to ride a trail behind my house a couple times a week so a road bike is definitely not needed.

ill start looking for some cheapish rims and parts.
thanks for the advice.

word on the street is that the D-store is going to be getting a ton of new dainese road cycling gear in this march.

brb, spending all my monies on new cycling gear

What store? Their online store or something? Didn't realize Deaniease was making cycling gear to begin with.

What store? Their online store or something? Didn't realize Deaniease was making cycling gear to begin with.

for the past few years, they have only exported the mountain biking gear they make to the usa. for 2014 they are bringing their helmet, their kit and their gloves here. i mean, you can order the stuff from italian websites, but you have to be able to understand italian

dainese-acca-cycling-glove.jpg

2010-eurobike-2011-dainese-bike-collection-1.jpg

2010-eurobike-2011-dainese-bike-collection-2.jpg

SP263B07.jpg

Will they sell road bibs with padded sides? I found one for MTB. I guess it should be the same as for road... I always wanted armored panels on side of my bibs. Could have saved A LOT of skin from various crashes in races and training rides.

I'm just posting to whine about hobbling about taking myself out and shattering the top of my upper leg bone into 4 pieces. Never injured myself this badly on a motorcycle.

Been out for 3 weeks and looking at another month at least before I'm walking unassisted or riding again.

I'm just posting to whine about hobbling about taking myself out and shattering the top of my upper leg bone into 4 pieces. Never injured myself this badly on a motorcycle.

Been out for 3 weeks and looking at another month at least before I'm walking unassisted or riding again.

Dude heal up! I tell people I ride road bike and motorcycles and usually they think motorcycles are dangerous. I snicker inside remembering all the injuries I sustained on road bike.

How did you crash?

Dude heal up! I tell people I ride road bike and motorcycles and usually they think motorcycles are dangerous. I snicker inside remembering all the injuries I sustained on road bike.

How did you crash?

Just ended a group ride that usually gets quick at the end, but had passed the unofficial "end" and I was tired but wasn't in any rush or trying to keep up.

Came around a faster downhill turn that's a little off camber not thinking much of it (looking through the turn , counter steering, lightly scrubbing speed w front brake) and the front comes out from under me at 25mph. Turns out it was a little damp and I think I crossed a painted line leaned over.

Only slide a few feet but come down hard on my right hip and couldn't feel my leg or move it. Flipped myself over but after that was in excruciating pain if I moved my leg at all. Needed an ambulance ride since I couldn't get into a car.

Ended up in the hospital for 2 days, got emergency surgery, so painful from a fairly mild fall- just came down on my hip wrong I guess.

Looking back on it I was in one of those moods that ride, always unhappy where I was putting myself- not dangerous but not riding as cleanly as I should have been. Especially for just a group ride.

Ouch. Man this is very close how I fractured my pelvis, ended up in Stanford ER, and on crutches for couple of month. Front end slid out on a tight corner on down hill, got slammed in to the ground at 20 something.

Heal up!

It was a merry christmas to myself, my first new road bike: Trek Domane 4.5.

To say I love it would be an understatement....I'm in terrible bicycle shape after hardly touching my hybrid bike in 2013, and yet I am breaking PR's everywhere simply because the Domane is lighter and faster. :teeth

Here's to more roadbiking and improved fitness in 2014, and also heal well Aram. :thumbup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 7.15.28 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 7.15.28 AM.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 89
Jebus that saddle bag is big enough to hide a fridge, with a dead hooker inside.

Jebus that saddle bag is big enough to hide a fridge, with a dead hooker inside.

Got a spare tube in there, a Park Tool multi-tool, tire repair kit with patches, and enough space left over for my glove liners and some ShotBlox. Also a blinky light on the back of the pack too. :teeth

Back