• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

ok, i have a question for the road bike gods,

i have a loop that i do on a reg basis, but its killing my knees and i think its that my bike does not fit me properly.

any ideas on what i could change to get my bike to fit me properly or where to go to have it does properly and with someone that does a good job?
thanks

bishop said:

i have a loop that i do on a reg basis, but its killing my knees and i think its that my bike does not fit me properly.

any ideas on what i could change to get my bike to fit me properly or where to go to have it does properly and with someone that does a good job?
thanks
Gregory (bicyclemech1) is the master. If you ask nicely I'm sure he'd help you out. That is, ... provided you were willing to wait for his freshly broken collar bone to heal.

The only thing I can think of without seeing you ride is perhaps you're over extending your legs. You need to have nice comfortable knee bent when pedaling.

bishop said:

thanks

Could also be form. Are you arching your knees in or out bowlegged? Maybe your in too hard of a gear. When I started riding I used to mash, now, well I still mash but for some people it hurts their kness.

As for getting the bike properly fitted, it's worth every cent. A local LBS can also help, but will probably cost a little more than bicyclemech1. At the very least try and get your seat hieght adjusted. Tons of article on the web. But the best thing it to try and size it up, then bring a wrench and play with it while your out. Move it up/down a tiny bit, ride & repeat.

As I understand it, bicyclemech1 used to own a bike shop, and was the wrench as well. He originally fit me to my Giant road bike, and has given me all kinds of tips on form and technique..

After switching to different aero bars, I think I need to be re-fitted. Once Greg feels a little better, if he's up for another fitting session, I'd like to try and make it by!

I have been fitted for the bike 2 times now, and it was all good and never had any problems, but since i broke my hip back in may nothing seem rite anymore.

have it fitted once after i broke my him and it got rid of alot of the problems but some are still there.

ill wait till bicyclemech1 is feeling better.

or

does anyone have a shop that they KNOW does a good job? mikes bikes and preformance are out, cupertino bike shop is out, city cycles is the only one i can think of that might do a good job but they are in the city....

have talked to a few other little shops and most don't seem to want to deal with you unless you bought your bike there.

I am healed up!

Been so for awhile now, but have not kept up with the thread.
If anyone still needs work, I am ready.
It's also free!!
I love to wrench, so bring your stuff to me and save the money.
A fitting takes about an hour, and if we time it right, we can follow it up with a ride and you can take you mechanic on the road with you.

It's like being a pro:)

Except your'e probably fatter and slower than a pro:p

Please dont hesitate to shoot me a PM

Sweet Road Bike for Sale

Found an awesome road bike for sale on craigslist.

I have nothing to do with the sale of this bike other than the fact that I have one and know that you can't get a much nicer full carbon bike for the money.

Check it out
Giant OCR Limited

Hi again fellas,
I havnt been riding much recently because of those freaking cranks. Does anyone have access to a welder? I just want to weld the cranks onto the square stem things.
Peace

giusepi said:
Hi again fellas,
I havnt been riding much recently because of those freaking cranks. Does anyone have access to a welder? I just want to weld the cranks onto the square stem things.
Peace

Dude, don't remember what your deal is but I have a really nice set of road cranks w/ integrated bottom bracket. Either way, don't know a welder.

Here are the cranks
Truvativ Rouleur
I had them for sale on ebay for $100 and they didn't sell. I was gonna wait for the spring to try and sell them again but if you want them make me an offer. They are really nice cranks. I have the same exact set on my road bike only the carbon version.

2936453-truvativ_rouleur_3.jpg

Marshall Wall Loop - Sunday 6/23

A few of us are riding 60 or so miles tomorrow out to Tomales Bay. The route:

Lucas Valley Rd > Nicasio Valley Rd > Pt Reyes - Petaluma Rd > Hicks Valley Rd > Marshall - Petaluma Rd > Highway 1 > Pt Reyes Petaluma Rd > Nicasio Valley Rd > Lucas Valley Rd

Brisk but non-hammer pace (like that's even possible on a ride with Harpo) / 60+ miles / No drop / 3 climbs (Lucas Valley 2x, Marshall Petaluma)

Meet @ 9 AM at the Lucas Valley Road Park and Ride on 101. We have three so far, including myself.

Last edited:
Damn wish I could make it. I rolled my ankle playing bball this week, the Doc told me no stress on it for 2 weeks. :(
Have a good time.

CityBikeMike said:
Marshall Wall Loop - Sunday 6/23

A few of us are riding 60 or so miles tomorrow out to Tomales Bay. The route:

Lucas Valley Rd > Nicasio Valley Rd > Pt Reyes - Petaluma Rd > Hicks Valley Rd > Marshall - Petaluma Rd > Highway 1 > Pt Reyes Petaluma Rd > Nicasio Valley Rd > Lucas Valley Rd

Brisk but non-hammer pace (like that's even possible on a ride with Harpo) / 60+ miles / No drop / 3 climbs (Lucas Valley 2x, Marshall Petaluma)

Meet @ 9 AM at the Lucas Valley Road Park and Ride on 101. We have three so far, including myself.

You guys missed an excellent, albeit challenging, ride. We got a little lost, adding some mileage to the route. That'll learn ya to leave yer navigator behind!! :laughing Excellent company, beautiful day--the only unwelcome guest was a headwind going up and down the Marshall Wall. Hope to see a few more of you out there next time!

Maybe not...

http://www.thebikebiz.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BK-TRK-EAI02

I just started building a bike that I can ride around and leave locked up out front! I don't let people lean their bikes on mine, I don't leave it locked up out front, and I clean it all the time.

Everybody on the ride makes fun of me for being such a priss.....so now I'll ride a fixie on thursday nights, and lock it up outside with everybody else!

excellent! I'm jealous of your skills... I'm also with ya on bein' a priss. I'm still too nervous to put the bike on the bus to cross the bridge to take it into the city. I don't like locking it up outside, etc. I need to get over that. :)

DucatiHoney said:
We got a little lost, adding some mileage to the route.
How do you NOT turn a 60 mile ride into a 76 mile ride?? :wtf
DON'T follow the bionic Columbian. (Ivan) :wow :twofinger

All and all it was a great ride ride. Grueling but great. Great day, great company, great exercise. But G@D D@M# my ass is sore. :( :teeth

Last edited:
you know....BART goes across the bay, right?

DucatiHoney said:
excellent! I'm jealous of your skills... I'm also with ya on bein' a priss. I'm still too nervous to put the bike on the bus to cross the bridge to take it into the city. I don't like locking it up outside, etc. I need to get over that. :)

Back