• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

cheezy, please don't tell me you crit with that bike. :drool

P1010025.jpg

A few changes since then
Ditched the Mavics for Williams Wheels
Ditched the seat Specialized Alias
Crank, bars & stem all got replaced with Ritchey CF bling
Shimano Pedals
305 and some other random blingy items
And of course no seat bag anymore...the shame.

Actually, only things that are the same are the frame and the brakes. I'll take another picture tomorrow.

*edit, found this one, which is half way in between the above and where it is now.
0521070845b.jpg

Last edited:
I do and I know.:wow At least I stick out of the peloton with my Gucci wheelset.

Only 1 crash this year and that was a training ride where my bike made like a trebuchet, hurling about 6-7 ft. past me. Luckily my bike was unscathed.

I plan on doing a build for next season, maybe another Orbea specifically for crits and crashing.:p

You have the Williams huh. I've heard good stuff about them and they are based in Stockton. My buddy purchased the carbon clinchers and is very satisfied with them. I might actually go with tubulars for racing next season. 1100 grams versus 2000 grams on both my wheelsets. Will it make me faster? Heh.

*For a second there, it looked like you had a framed picture of Al Roker. I even thought, wow that's a big frame.

Last edited:
Yea Yea Yea, there all pretty,
But try and run one of those puppies down Live Wire at North* and let see who's blingin' at the end. LOL :laughing :twofinger

Sorry dudes, I had to chime in. I see your pretty roadbikes and I feel so inadequate. :(

Harpo said:
Yea Yea Yea, there all pretty,
But try and run one of those puppies down Live Wire at North* and let see who's blingin' at the end. LOL :laughing :twofinger

Sorry dudes, I had to chime in. I see your pretty roadbikes and I feel so inadequate. :(

Oh you can f*ck right off. :twofinger I've seen your road bike! Mine still has the rubber on it from the shop I bought it from and yours is all blinged out. :p Sandbagger.... :laughing

Sandy has spoken! If I remember correctly Harpo, you put out some pretty good numbers.

Btw, I like the last pic Pelikan. Very subtle and clean.

I'm not Sandy, :laughing :laughing Damn-it!!
And the older I get the slower the #'s get.

And speaking of pretty road bikes,
For god sakes would someone buy my pretty Santa Cruz Blur Farme So I can buy a friggen Freeride Bike, Ooops, I mean a pretty road bike like you guys. :teeth

What do you guys think of Easton Vista wheels? They look like a pretty good value - I'm looking to upgrade the Zero XSR-3 wheels that are currently on my OCR C3.

My bike came with Xero XR3's too. They are heavy & flexy. Throw them away, almost any wheel would be an upgrade. Dunno anything about the Eastons but for the price the weight seems average. You might wanna check the Xero XR-1, they are supposed to be really good and cheap. Mavic Open Pros or Ksyriums are also in that range, iirc from when I was looking.

I ended up buying a set of Mavic Cosmos for $100 on Craigslist, and sold the XR3's for $140 (low spoke = bling factor). The difference was HUGE in every way possible.

Now I'm a Williams Cycling whore, but if your interested in a set of used Cosmos or Carbones LMK. :)

I've heard great things about the Easton Vistas. They seem to be a great all-around wheelset for training and racing.

In fact, a buddy of mine is looking to upgrade his Cervelo P3(i'm jealous) with a set of those, so i'm assuming there's some aero properties to it as well.

Eastons seem pretty good to me. Only problem with them is they use threaded spokes at both ends, if you break one they can be difficult to repair.

Buy Bontrager wheels, they come with 5 year defect warranty. The carbon fiber one's are among the strongest and lightest out there.

Not to mention Trek just came out with upgrades to most of there wheel line.

I appreciate all the comments - thanks!

Looking at wheelsets (and the corresponding front and rear weights), these all seem to be in the same pricerange (under $300):

Easton Vista: 777g / 1020g
Mavic Ksyrium Elite: 835g / 1000g
Vuelta Starlight: 820g / 1030g
Bontrager Select: 985g /1020g

I was leaning towards the Eastons since they do seem to be the lightest.

OK, don't know how these compare ( I'm sure some knowledgeable person on this thread knows :wtf )
But these have been pretty good wheels for me and I do remember getting a pretty good price on them.
Not sure of the weight though.

Bontrager Race Lite

3386674-wheel_1_2lowres.jpg

CityBikeMike said:
I appreciate all the comments - thanks!

Looking at wheelsets (and the corresponding front and rear weights), these all seem to be in the same pricerange (under $300):

Easton Vista: 777g / 1020g
Mavic Ksyrium Elite: 835g / 1000g
Vuelta Starlight: 820g / 1030g
Bontrager Select: 985g /1020g

I was leaning towards the Eastons since they do seem to be the lightest.

Yes, the Easton looks hard to beat in those respects. I have considered getting them myself. Since I am working for a shop that carries Bontrager, I threw them in the fire. I would not get the Bontrager Selects, prefering to enter at a higher level. I am currently riding "Race Lites" on a Trek Madone, they work well, although I have had to tension the spokes a few times for best performance. I am working on building a "32 hole" custom set of wheels on Velocity rims.

Not all wheels for road bikes are created equal, they varry in stiffness, maintenance, weight, reliability and longevity. A lot of it depends on how you ride, your weight, and your expectations from the wheels.

For reliability I prefer to go with a 32 spoke wheel.
Here is a link with some Velocity offerings: http://www.wheelbuilder.com/thumbnail.asp?offset=0&deep=3&cid=37

Just wanted to share with all of you my new track bike. Straight off the Interbike display floor, 2008 Felt TK2. Woooohoo!!! Look out hipsters!!!

Attachments

• IMGP0718.jpg
    IMGP0718.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 145
Gonna take the brake off and race that at Helyer Park, or use it for coffee runs?
Where's the brake lever? On the bar tops?

I did the last Low Key Hillclimb race up Mt Hamilton on thanksgiving morning. I had a sucky race, no faster than I have gone up Mt Hamilton on training rides while saving some for the back side of the mountain. Oh well, that is what happens when you race after being sick and not riding much for the off season. It's a fun series, if you are interested in racing up hills it's a good way to get into it. http://lowkey.djconnel.com/

Gonna take the brake off and race that at Helyer Park, or use it for coffee runs?
Where's the brake lever? On the bar tops?

I did the last Low Key Hillclimb race up Mt Hamilton on thanksgiving morning. I had a sucky race, no faster than I have gone up Mt Hamilton on training rides while saving some for the back side of the mountain. Oh well, that is what happens when you race after being sick and not riding much for the off season. It's a fun series, if you are interested in racing up hills it's a good way to get into it. http://lowkey.djconnel.com/

Exactly.:thumbup I put a Cane Creek carbon shorty on the top (can't see it). It's a clamp-on so I can easily take it off for trackdays.

It's my dual duty bike. I run a 49t/16 tooth for noodling around town, the flip side is a 15t which i'll use for the track. Thanks for asking.

I've heard of the Low-key Hillclimbs Series and have been meaning to do them but winter training rides with the team have taken up pretty much all my time. I played hooky today though and did 30 miles on it. It was a blast!

Oh and I don't use that front wheel pictured for tooling around. I have a Mavic Classic SSC with a ceramic braking surface so it still kinda gives it that non-machined look.

Last edited:
Back