• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

IMG_9756-XL.jpg

I spy disc brakes. :teeth

I also agree, trainer. I really need to get one one of these days.

Welcome to 'Merica! They do same shit here by Woodside, once in a while.
One of the reasons I rarely do group rides. Just attracts too much attention.

I rarely do group rides because of timing. But my last group ride I did was with a retired cop. He ran every stop sign :laughing

I also agree, trainer. I really need to get one one of these days.

I rarely do group rides because of timing. But my last group ride I did was with a retired cop. He ran every stop sign :laughing

I do usually 2 or more group rides a week. In Santa Cruz there are only so many people though, so you see the same people over and over (not a bad thing).

Sometimes when I don't feel that motivated I find I can bury myself on group rides doing stupid attacks/chases and pulling when no one else wants to (right before sprint say), where if I was on my own I wouldn't be going nearly as hard. Helps with motivation for me.

I have a Kinetic Trainer and friend gave me this spin bike below. Trying to decide which to keep and which to sell. I worry using the trainer on my Carbon bike is bad for it. One negative on the spin bike is the seat cannot be changed, it's a funky mounting system. I tried putting a spare seat on it and the seat pointed down. I'll have to check it out again.

I have a spin bike also at home. I swapped peddles so I can use my roadbike shoes. The seat is okay but not the problem, I just can't ride it for more than 30min, too boring.
Personally I would not use my carbon bike on a kinetic trainer, I'd buy a cheap bike for that if going that route.

Attachments

• IMG_2125 (2).jpg
    IMG_2125 (2).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 92
I read about a triathlete who puts his bike on a trainer facing a corner in his basement and spins for several hours.

I have a spin bike also at home. I swapped peddles so I can use my roadbike shoes. The seat is okay but not the problem, I just can't ride it for more than 30min, too boring.
Personally I would not use my carbon bike on a kinetic trainer, I'd buy a cheap bike for that if going that route.

I read about a triathlete who puts his bike on a trainer facing a corner in his basement and spins for several hours.

If you have a power meter and do really freakin hard intervals for an hour or so the trainer is good. I use trainerroad connected to my powertap sometimes and they have set workouts where you just match the power the screen tells you for an hour to an hour and a half. It really helped me get my fitness back when I broke my hip and wasn't supposed to ride outdoors. You can do super focused workouts that are hard to do outside and when you are done you can just collapse onto the floor.

Now if you just jump on and spin the pedals, it's boring as hell and not very helpful.

Now if you just jump on and spin the pedals, it's boring as hell and not very helpful.

This guy does it as a mental exercise. If you can't win over the mental urge to quit, then you can't win a race.

I got tired of seeing the cords on my tire, so I decided it was time to replace them. Also figured I needed some fenders since it is going to start getting wet soon. Unfortunately the LBS doesn't appear to have fenders and I needed super cheap tires, so I had to go to REI :(

4000 miles out of the Gatorskins.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_233404.jpg
    IMG_20141101_233404.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
Which ones?
I like Crud Road Racers. They are not carbon, but very useful.

Which ones?
I like Crud Road Racers. They are not carbon, but very useful.

there are two companies i had in mind. one is bikesmart and the other is genetic. they are expensive as all hell tho at like 65 bucks each, but my friend has the genetic ones and they are pretty trick and he said they work well.

bikesmart-parafango-carbonio-3.jpg

Doesn't look all that useful.

Unless you have some sort of rack, you are going to get covered in spray. And even if you do have a rack, anything on the rack is going to get soaked.

The ones I bought are cheap Planet Bike fenders, $40 for the pair. Not the greatest fenders in the world I am sure, but should do fine in a Socal winter. Full coverage and very light.

My new toy. (stock photo)
I got it with no decals installed, added a Brooks saddle, lights and a Specialized computer.
Lynskey is having a great sale right now, I got a full ultegra made in USA Ti bike for less than a lesser equipped Specialized Roubaix.
Time to rack up some miles.

r255.ultegra.side.jpg

So do we have a barf cycling group? I've been looking to find some people to ride with to help get me faster. I'm not on barf too often anymore but I'm red six on FB and Strava. I've only been riding a few months but I think I'm doing pretty good but there seems to be a lot I don't know and would like to get better.

Unfortunately I am in Socal, so no BARF group rides for me. Hell, with my commuter mileage, I don't do any group rides anymore :laughing

Back