• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Lookin for something to go back and forth to work on -- it's only a few miles each way so I don't want to spend lots of money.

It'll be something I ride around with the kids probably too.

I like the way the Specialized Crosstrail Disc looks but it's more than I wanna spend.

Suggestions?

For a few miles? A mountain bike with road tires or hybrid. But it really depends on what you want to spend.

Something single speed. Assuming you don't have huge hills. Much easier to maintain, and more reliable.

as little as possible :laughing

Get an older 26" 9 speed mountain bike with Deore or better. Can get em around 150 on craigslist pretty easy. Swap on some slick tires for 30-40 later if you want it to be a little faster.

Or if you want something you can use for longer rides get a used road bike with sti shifters for 400-500.

Get an older 26" 9 speed mountain bike with Deore or better. Can get em around 150 on craigslist pretty easy. Swap on some slick tires for 30-40 later if you want it to be a little faster.

"deore or better"

I don't know what components are good and bad.

Say I have a budget of 200 bucks for something on CL. What should I look for.

also I'm short. LIke 5'6 and a 30" inseam soaking wet downhill with a tailwind.

You can go to store and sit on a few bikes to get an idea on what frame size to get. Just sit on the cheap ones :laughing

Thoughts on the upcoming disc-equipped road bikes? I'm thinking this is what's next for me.
l45c5_1_view.jpg

Thoughts on the upcoming disc-equipped road bikes? I'm thinking this is what's next for me.
l45c5_1_view.jpg

As I rode my bike to the horse boarding facility after it rained, one of the things that kept coming back to me as I heard that grinding noise of mud and manure between the brake pads and wheels was how much I wanted disc brakes :D

oooh BH roadie... sooo nice!!!
have you guys ridden a disc brake? how does it feel? is it better (im assuming so)?

Only only an MTB, but the feel is so much better. Way easier to modulate the brakes (pretty important on a down hill in the wet when the light suddenly turns red!), and quicker to dry so when the wheels get wet, you don't have to weight 20' for the wheels to dry before they start to work.

As I rode my bike to the horse boarding facility after it rained, one of the things that kept coming back to me as I heard that grinding noise of mud and manure between the brake pads and wheels was how much I wanted disc brakes :D

My sentiments exactly. I have the Ritchey Superlogic II cabon wheelset on my current rig and braking (dry) isn't great, let alone in the wet - so no rain rides for me. The discs should fix that. Plus, long decents will be less frightening...

Don't know if this belongs here or in the mtb thread. I guess I'll toss it in both!

My wife bought me a Straggler frame for christmas! I built it up with a kit from another bike that I
wasn't riding along with a spare set of wheels (Bontrager Race X Lite). It's a burly enough build that I should be able to beat on it pretty good. It's going to be an around town and commuter bike, but I'll probably do the occasional gravel ride.

I have enough black bikes so I went with the purple!
IMG_0339-XL.jpg

I love that they're making narrow/wide rings in 110bcd
IMG_0341-2-XL.jpg

I ran a front derailleur cable to the stop to prevent the shiftier from moving.
IMG_0342-2-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back