• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

How many cassettes do you go through where you think of that?:wow

2-3 depending on how lazy I am to swap them. :laughing
Chain every 2-3 month.
2-3 sets of tires a year (not counting tubulars on race wheels).

Last edited:
2-3 depending on how lazy I am to swap them. :laughing
Chain every 2-3 month.
2-3 sets of tires a year (not counting tubulars on race wheels).

Damn. Either I run my stuff way too long (likely) or you go way too short :D

The cassette I just took off has probably 10k on it. It is worn, but I swapped it to go 1x after taking it off my MTB (to go 1x).

Damn. Either I run my stuff way too long (likely) or you go way too short :D

The cassette I just took off has probably 10k on it. It is worn, but I swapped it to go 1x after taking it off my MTB (to go 1x).

Entirely possible I swap too soon, but that is why I buy it on sale also. lol I just notice shifting degrades around 5k miles.

That's when I replace cables :laughing

Seriously, I should start buying your used stuff. For commute duties, probably plenty of wear left. But for your type of stuff I could see replacing those parts as being a good idea.

Got any good Black Friday deals? :laughing

That's when I replace cables :laughing

Seriously, I should start buying your used stuff. For commute duties, probably plenty of wear left. But for your type of stuff I could see replacing those parts as being a good idea.

I replace cables and housing once a year now.

FYI PBK has their sale: https://www.probikekit.co.uk
I am stocking up on tires, chains and cassettes for next season. :laughing
Got any good Black Friday deals? :laughing

:twofinger
10-speed 105 cassette 30 bucks.
10-speed Ultegra chain 18 bucks

Last edited:
I replace cables and housing once a year now.

:twofinger
10-speed 105 cassette 30 bucks.
10-speed Ultegra chain 18 bucks
:laughing

I don't save cash for sale specials, so I don't have any expendable money right now.

Damn good prices though.

Speaking of not having money...

I have to head home from work now to go buy hay...

I was going through my parts bin, apparently I have two not one cassettes, so now I will have three. :facepalm

Oh, the things you find when you help moving. :laughing

This past Sunday while I was getting ready for the final haul of my folks' stuff from SF to Sacramento, their next door neighbor appears. He bought my 1986 Trek 2000 road bike a few years ago and just recently fucked up the right rear dropout/derailleur hanger. He had everything transferred over to a new frame (it had Shimano new Dura Ace components, indexed shifters and erverything! :p). He was planning on throwing the old frame out...the local shop said it's trashed. Now it's hanging up in my garage along with the Araya semi-aero rims and a set of sew-ups that are still probably original. :afm199 He handed over the original fork, Cinelli stem and bars too.

Wonder if the damage can be repaired? I'd hate to toss it, it's a great frame with 7000-series aluminum main triangle. Be nice to get it on the road again with a front disc brake conversion. :eboy

Pis to follow this evening.

Convert it to fixie and sell it to some hipster in SF for too much money. :laughing

Convert it to fixie and sell it to some hipster in SF for too much money. :laughing

brilliant.jpg

Wonder if the damage can be repaired? I'd hate to toss it, it's a great frame with 7000-series aluminum main triangle. Be nice to get it on the road again with a front disc brake conversion. :eboy

Pis to follow this evening.

If it's aluminum, the hanger should be removable/replaceable. If not, your best bet would be to ask a framebuilder weld on a new one but it may make the area brittle.

If you're planning on going disc, that's just a fork swap and pretty doable.

looking ahead [& up]:

2016 Laguna Seca Twilight Cycling Schedule

January 13 5-7 p.m.
TBA/Light & Motion/Bay Bikes

February 17 5-7 p.m.
Salinas High Cowboys/Light & Motion/Bay Bikes

March 16 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Don Chapin/Light & Motion/Bay Bikes

April 27* 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Little Bellas/Bay Bikes

May 18* 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Amgen Tour of California Public Ride/Bay Bikes

June 15 5:30-7:30 p.m.
TBA/Bay Bikes

July 13 5:30-7:30 p.m.
DC-10/Bay Bikes

August 16*# 5:30-7:30 p.m.
TBA/Bay Bikes

September 7* 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Custom Sheds/Bay Bikes

October 5* 5-7 p.m.
MORCA/Light & Motion/Bay Bikes

November 9 5-7 p.m.

December 7 5-7 p.m.

the twilight cycling rides are most fun in the late summer.

im going down south for xmas. anyone know any good rides around oceanside/carlsbad area?

the twilight cycling rides are most fun in the late summer.

im going down south for xmas. anyone know any good rides around oceanside/carlsbad area?

Bummer I didn't see this until now. I lived there for a few years.

So, late in getting the pics up but some shots of my old Trek 2000 I sold to a neighbor years ago. He tweaked the rear derailleur hanger trying to mash up a SF hill. Transferred all components to a new frame, gave me the old frame, fork & stem back. His tech claimed that it's impossible to straighten without risking a break. What do you think? Maybe hack it off, strip/repaint frame, reassemble as a fixie and sell to some hipster in the City? :laughing

Attachments

• 20151230_161133.jpg
    20151230_161133.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20151230_161141.jpg
    20151230_161141.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20151230_161113.jpg
    20151230_161113.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20151230_161152.jpg
    20151230_161152.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 42
Bummer I didn't see this until now. I lived there for a few years.

its all good. i ended up riding on that trail that takes you east by those schools and the skate park. basically reminded me of sacramento if the river dried up haha.

but riding along the coast was really nice. i just hate how the streets are laid out. seems like every 3-4 miles, the coastal road turns into a private drive or it just dead ends and you have to back track. regardless, you cant go wrong with high 60's low 70's in late december.

pvus2vXh.jpg

Back