• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

New thread starting because the rain has come and made it muddy. I am happy to lead some road rides in the East Bay if anyone is interested in switching to skinny tires. I can also offer help in shopping for a road bike if anyone needs. And as always, free bike repair for everyone.

Nothing recent... I bicycled,from Portland Oregon, -to- Guatemala and back, 45 years ago, though...:cool

I would get something more up right. Chances are she will ride it few times to appease you and it will collect dust in garage. :laughing

That's what I thought but she showed me the bike she had a few years ago pre move and break up and it was a road bike she used a lot. At the gym she's cranks out 30+ min a spin bike in good bent road bike form (whatever its called). I'll think about it some more.

That's what I thought but she showed me the bike she had a few years ago pre move and break up and it was a road bike she used a lot. At the gym she's cranks out 30+ min a spin bike in good bent road bike form (whatever its called). I'll think about it some more.

Hmm, ok in that case spring for a fit after you get the bike.

Since this thread was resurrected. Pic from Modesto pro/1/2/3 race. Pro tip. Racing while recovering from a cold sucks. :laughing
Guess which number I am. *gigidy
jta4Ec7l.jpg

Last edited:
*Reads this thread.*

*Goes into spare room, looks at Felt road bike. Blows dust off top tube, squeezes nearly flat tires.*

*Shakes head, leaves room*

:laughing

*Reads this thread.*

*Goes into spare room, looks at Felt road bike. Blows dust off top tube, squeezes nearly flat tires.*

*Shakes head, leaves room*

:laughing

Damnit, you march back in there, pump those tires and go for a fucking ride! :laughing

GCN did some videos demonstrating it. Looks cool, but I usually know what is coming up behind me. And, I don't have that kind of money :D

GCN are a hoot. The Top 10 type videos are a big hit with my 9 year old.

And speaking of devil spawn, I'm thinking to get him a road bike. He's tall for his age, and can probably handle a 44 women's frame.

If anyone has such a frame or bike gathering dust, I'd be interested.. the next generation of roadies is waiting. (He seems to be into ice cream doping.. a couple scoops and he's bouncing off the ceiling. Should I get him a USPS jersey? :laughing).

GCN are a hoot. The Top 10 type videos are a big hit with my 9 year old.

And speaking of devil spawn, I'm thinking to get him a road bike. He's tall for his age, and can probably handle a 44 women's frame.

If anyone has such a frame or bike gathering dust, I'd be interested.. the next generation of roadies is waiting. (He seems to be into ice cream doping.. a couple scoops and he's bouncing off the ceiling. Should I get him a USPS jersey? :laughing).

Zing. :rofl

What do you guys think about the options provided by the cottage industry that's sprung up around dealing with press-fit BBs? More specifically...

I have a PF30 carbon endurance frame with a cheap heavy FSA 30mm crankset and a cheap BB that pings under power. I'd like to chuck the whole lot and run Ultegra cranks.

From what I have seen thus far, the options are:

1) Wheels Mfg adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm. Alloy construction, the cups screw together in the BB shell, 2437 Enduro bearings, also available in angular contact or ceramic.

2) Praxis Works adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm, similar idea but one of the cups behaves as a collet in the BB shell when the other cup is screwed in, potentially providing a more secure fit. Ceramic bearing upgrade option, but no angular IIRC.

3) BBinfinite adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm. One piece alloy unit pressed into BB shell; good bearings. Removal of unit, should that be required down the road, seems like a bitch. They sell an air hammer adapter for that purpose. Cool-aid factor prominent in their marketing.

4) Plastic press-fit SRAM PF30 -> BSA adapters. Thereafter can run native Ultegra cups with 6805 bearings, etc. I am worried that this would entail replacing one type of press-fit plastic crappiness with another.

5) FSA alloy PF30 -> BSA adapter. One piece construction like BBinfinite but with BSA threads instead of pressed-in bearings. I almost like this as the improvement over 4), but can't get over the stupidity of having to press in a big chunk of metal just to get back to a normal BSA thread situation. Where's your weight savings now, PF30 "standard"?

6) Enduro Bearings makes a more expensive unit very similar to Wheels Mfg. Two piece screw-together alloy construction, non-collet.

7) Quality native PF30 BB like Chris King. Diameter reducers would be needed for the 24mm spindle. CK seems to want the shell to be reamed out to exact spec beforehand. I can imagine there still being a creaking issue with some fit deficiency between the alloy CK cups and the shell, though the bearings themselves would be beyond reproach.

8) Parlee PF30 -> Shimano 24mm alloy cups. No reducers needed, but concerns about a purely press-fit arrangement remain.

That's about it, off the top of my head. If you have feedback on the relative merits of these or other approaches, a grateful nation awaits your post.

p.s. 9) KCNC PF30 -> Shimano 24mm adapter. This is a screw-together two piece non-collet alloy unit like Wheels Mfg and Enduro, but unlike the array of 24mm ID 2437 bearing options Wheels / Enduro offers, these guys use 25mm ID 6805 bearings just like Shimano, with a plastic Shimano-style insert that ends up doing the 25mm -> 24mm reduction. RWC are offering this unit with various grades of 2437 bearings pressed in.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the options provided by the cottage industry that's sprung up around dealing with press-fit BBs? More specifically...

I have a PF30 carbon endurance frame with a cheap heavy FSA 30mm crankset and a cheap BB that pings under power. I'd like to chuck the whole lot and run Ultegra cranks.

From what I have seen thus far, the options are:

1) Wheels Mfg adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm. Alloy construction, the cups screw together in the BB shell, 2437 Enduro bearings, also available in angular contact or ceramic.

2) Praxis Works adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm, similar idea but one of the cups behaves as a collet in the BB shell when the other cup is screwed in, potentially providing a more secure fit. Ceramic bearing upgrade option, but no angular IIRC.

3) BBinfinite adapter PF30 -> Shimano 24mm. One piece alloy unit pressed into BB shell; good bearings. Removal of unit, should that be required down the road, seems like a bitch. They sell an air hammer adapter for that purpose. Cool-aid factor prominent in their marketing.

4) Plastic press-fit SRAM PF30 -> BSA adapters. Thereafter can run native Ultegra cups with 6805 bearings, etc. I am worried that this would entail replacing one type of press-fit plastic crappiness with another.

5) FSA alloy PF30 -> BSA adapter. One piece construction like BBinfinite but with BSA threads instead of pressed-in bearings. I almost like this as the improvement over 4), but can't get over the stupidity of having to press in a big chunk of metal just to get back to a normal BSA thread situation. Where's your weight savings now, PF30 "standard"?

6) Enduro Bearings makes a more expensive unit very similar to Wheels Mfg. Two piece screw-together alloy construction, non-collet.

7) Quality native PF30 BB like Chris King. Diameter reducers would be needed for the 24mm spindle. CK seems to want the shell to be reamed out to exact spec beforehand. I can imagine there still being a creaking issue with some fit deficiency between the alloy CK cups and the shell, though the bearings themselves would be beyond reproach.

8) Parlee PF30 -> Shimano 24mm alloy cups. No reducers needed, but concerns about a purely press-fit arrangement remain.

That's about it, off the top of my head. If you have feedback on the relative merits of these or other approaches, a grateful nation awaits your post.

p.s. 9) KCNC PF30 -> Shimano 24mm adapter. This is a screw-together two piece non-collet alloy unit like Wheels Mfg and Enduro, but unlike the array of 24mm ID 2437 bearing options Wheels / Enduro offers, these guys use 25mm ID 6805 bearings just like Shimano, with a plastic Shimano-style insert that ends up doing the 25mm -> 24mm reduction. RWC are offering this unit with various grades of 2437 bearings pressed in.

I have press fit aluminium adapter in to which Shimano BB hollowtech cups screw in to. It's been few years now, seem to work. :dunno

There are too many fucking standards now days. :rolleyes

Last edited:
I have press fit aluminium adapter in to which Shimano BB hollowtech cups screw in to. It's been few years now, seem to work. :dunno

There are too many fucking standards now days. :rolleyes

I'm with you. Get adapter to make it standard English thread and never deal with all that press fit bs again. That's what I did on my van dessel frame with bb30 and I've never touched it or had a problem since.

Unfortunately I can't remember what brand it is but its metal.

Last edited:
Riding along folsom street yesterday in the city and my deraileur hanger snapped in two. sent some pictures over to calfee and they said my frame is toast :(

db1Cileh.jpg

sEES2MKh.jpg

H2tBJjlh.jpg

nSYfpAXh.jpg

in the run-up to last weekend’s Laguna Seca SBK weekend, a little-noticed release [edited here] hit MA’s FB page:

“…..Kawasaki is hosting a "WorldSBiKe Ride" on Monday, July 11, after the race weekend.

A light breakfast will be served at 8 a.m. at Laguna Seca, and the approximately 50-mile group ride through the beautiful Monterey Peninsula will kick off at 9 a.m.

A casual pace will provide an opportunity to chat with reigning World Superbike Champion Jonathan Rea, former World Superbike Champion Scott Russell, and
15-time AMA Superbike race-winner Eric Bostrom.

Latus Motors Kawasaki rider Bobby Fong will also participate, along with others members of the World Superbike and MotoAmerica paddock. Kawasaki will supply Versys support motorcycles…..”

23 riders devoured a “light b’fast” of ‘nanas, coffee & Clif bars: posed for a group foto; & enjoyed a human-powered lap of the track, before taking off toward 17-Mile Drive & other local hilites

separate from the 4 celebs listed above, Garrett Gerloff, Paul Carruthers, and Jett Chandler were also present, plus 5 corporate Kawi-kitted organizers -
that left 11 of us unknowns to contest the KOM near ride’s end
[I rep'd da barfs by finishing DFL…..]

ignoring a few rented Giant disc Defys [similar to my own rim-brake version], most present were on their own, hi-end bikes – there was much Strava posturing amongst the Dura-Ace/carbon wheel subset of our crew

ending lunch was pizza - then the KOM prize was awarded and bike yakking ensued

the whole thing was fun - here’s the route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/5659697

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Kaw2016bikeride.jpg
    Kaw2016bikeride.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Kaw2016bikeKOM.jpg
    Kaw2016bikeKOM.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Ooo, that looks fun.

@kelsodeez wow, never seen that before. Mad power brah!

Riding along folsom street yesterday in the city and my deraileur hanger snapped in two. sent some pictures over to calfee and they said my frame is toast :(

really?! you can't just throw a new hangar on there and ride it as is? Add some carbon layers or something over the spots that got gouged?

ouch - sorry for yer fractured chassis

I, too, wonder that it's truly lost......dunno

well, i am going to lay some resin and carbon myself since calfee wont touch it and convert it into a single speed for commuting/beater bike. if it fails it fails. not like ill be putting a lot of power through it during the commute.

but i agree, it seems like it would totally be salvagable, but they are pros for a reason and they know better. also i hear that bmc has a really good crash replacement program. i might go that route too

i stopped in at mikes bikes on howard and they helped me unfuck the chain so i could at least roll it home instead of having to carry it. he noticed that my chain pin had worked its way out and when it got too wide and ran through my deraileur, it just grenaded the entire back end. seriously heartbreaking

You should start a post on bikeforums.net under RoadCycling and spark the debate of carbon vs aluminum/steel. It will be hilarious! :rofl

Back