• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

its all good. i ended up riding on that trail that takes you east by those schools and the skate park. basically reminded me of sacramento if the river dried up haha.

but riding along the coast was really nice. i just hate how the streets are laid out. seems like every 3-4 miles, the coastal road turns into a private drive or it just dead ends and you have to back track. regardless, you cant go wrong with high 60's low 70's in late december.

pvus2vXh.jpg
Yeah, you have to have area knowledge. I commuted 30 miles from Vista to Claremont Mesa.

I believe you are referring to the San Luis Rey River Trail. Josh Hayes can be found out there fairly often. Though by total coincidence, I never ran into him.

So, late in getting the pics up but some shots of my old Trek 2000 I sold to a neighbor years ago. He tweaked the rear derailleur hanger trying to mash up a SF hill. Transferred all components to a new frame, gave me the old frame, fork & stem back. His tech claimed that it's impossible to straighten without risking a break. What do you think? Maybe hack it off, strip/repaint frame, reassemble as a fixie and sell to some hipster in the City? :laughing

If by mash up the hill he meant crashed it, then yeah. :laughing Yeah turn it in to the fixie and sell it to some hippie tech bro in SF. I wouldn't even bother stripping repainting the frame. Just called it vintage. :laughing

So, late in getting the pics up but some shots of my old Trek 2000 I sold to a neighbor years ago. He tweaked the rear derailleur hanger trying to mash up a SF hill. Transferred all components to a new frame, gave me the old frame, fork & stem back. His tech claimed that it's impossible to straighten without risking a break. What do you think? Maybe hack it off, strip/repaint frame, reassemble as a fixie and sell to some hipster in the City? :laughing

I fixed a rear derailleur hangar on a steel bike that looked worse than that.

There's a tool you use, and you slowly bend it back in place.

Tool was about $60, but I use it on every bike I get before I assemble it now to make sure the derailleur hangar is dead straight and they shift so much better.

There's a risk it will break, but I would try fixing it before cutting the frame.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Der...r=8-1&keywords=rear+derailleur+alignment+tool

I fixed a rear derailleur hangar on a steel bike that looked worse than that.

There's a tool you use, and you slowly bend it back in place.

Tool was about $60, but I use it on every bike I get before I assemble it now to make sure the derailleur hangar is dead straight and they shift so much better.

There's a risk it will break, but I would try fixing it before cutting the frame.

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Der...r=8-1&keywords=rear+derailleur+alignment+tool

Will look into this! Thanks. :thumbup

Will look into this! Thanks. :thumbup

A Trek 2000 is aluminum... it'll make it tricky to straighten. You'll probably be able to do it, but there will be a risk of it cracking or being too soft afterwards. Still, not like you have much to lose!

A Trek 2000 is aluminum... it'll make it tricky to straighten. You'll probably be able to do it, but there will be a risk of it cracking or being too soft afterwards. Still, not like you have much to lose!

Ouch I never thought they made aluminum bikes with a fixed rear derailleur hangar. :(

Udrider, you doing any of the early bird crits? I'm waaaay outta shape but I might go do it next week.

Ouch I never thought they made aluminum bikes with a fixed rear derailleur hangar. :(

Yea, an unfortunate time in bike history.

On another note, I just moved to Tucson, AZ. It's no Japan, where I was last, when it comes to road riding, but it's still not too bad. Rode up Mt. Lemmon today to about 6500'. I got cold at that point.

IMG_2772%20-%20IMG_2782-2-XL.jpg

IMG_2784-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Udrider, you doing any of the early bird crits? I'm waaaay outta shape but I might go do it next week.

Sorry just saw this.

Nope. The Pro/1/2/3 is at like 3:30 or something.
I'll be doing CalAlgie and Cherry Pie. Don't really want to, but boss man thinks it will be a good idea to see how the prep for season is going.

You should totally do it! They have mentors, and bunch good atmosphere in general.

Yea, an unfortunate time in bike history.

On another note, I just moved to Tucson, AZ. It's no Japan, where I was last, when it comes to road riding, but it's still not too bad. Rode up Mt. Lemmon today to about 6500'. I got cold at that point.

IMG_2772%20-%20IMG_2782-2-XL.jpg

IMG_2784-XL.jpg

Nice, but it's no Japan.
Actually if everything goes to plan I might go there at the end of September. Always wanted to visit it.

Nice, but it's no Japan.
Actually if everything goes to plan I might go there at the end of September. Always wanted to visit it.

Nice - what area? How long?

Guy Martin forsakes 2016 TT for US-Canada bicycle ride

".....Martin will take to a different kind of road bike, cycling in the Tour Divide race through North America.....

.....pulled in many different directions, the latest into rally racing. He has also found new fame on television, and has been lured away to race new events, like the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
....."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/guy-martin-2016-isle-of-man-tt/

Sorry just saw this.

Nope. The Pro/1/2/3 is at like 3:30 or something.
I'll be doing CalAlgie and Cherry Pie. Don't really want to, but boss man thinks it will be a good idea to see how the prep for season is going.

You should totally do it! They have mentors, and bunch good atmosphere in general.

Yeah, the Early Birds are highly recommended. Two left for the year.

Think Chico Stage race will be my first for the year. Might give 3/4 a shot even though I'll get destroyed. Want to race on Thunderhill.

Yeah, the Early Birds are highly recommended. Two left for the year.

Think Chico Stage race will be my first for the year. Might give 3/4 a shot even though I'll get destroyed. Want to race on Thunderhill.

Good luck.

I will just leave this here...
[youtube]UYUZIW0kEPM[/youtube]

Hey Guys,

Anyone have thoughts on a 2008 Trek 2.3 WSD? Looking to surprise the GF with a road bike for her upcoming b-day. Looking at used as I feel I can get better parts at a better price. Tricky part is size.

She fit on my 2014 Giant Defy Composite that's a Small. Not sure what that is in CM, think it's 50cm. She's 5'5 with about a 29" inseam.

The Trek WSD is a 50cm, I think it should fit. Has 105 and Ultegra parts.

Hey Guys,

Anyone have thoughts on a 2008 Trek 2.3 WSD? Looking to surprise the GF with a road bike for her upcoming b-day. Looking at used as I feel I can get better parts at a better price. Tricky part is size.

She fit on my 2014 Giant Defy Composite that's a Small. Not sure what that is in CM, think it's 50cm. She's 5'5 with about a 29" inseam.

The Trek WSD is a 50cm, I think it should fit. Has 105 and Ultegra parts.

I would get something more up right. Chances are she will ride it few times to appease you and it will collect dust in garage. :laughing

Back