• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

You should start a post on bikeforums.net under RoadCycling and spark the debate of carbon vs aluminum/steel. It will be hilarious! :rofl

that's cruel

besides, we all know that the premier frame material is scandium
or, izzit bamboo....?

Friends got me into riding fixed for quite a few years. Had a blast in Both Sacramento and SF areas.

i-kmbM4MB.jpg

i-Vb748Np-XL.jpg

Was up to 90 miles a day when I injured myself and have never been able to fully recover. I switched to the road bike to hopefully get closer to where I was before I got hurt.

i-Zdb3xWX.jpg

Was it a knee injury?
If you are riding 90 miles a day you really do need your bike fitted. Even though cycling is a low impact sport, you can still fuck up your knees.

Was it a knee injury?
If you are riding 90 miles a day you really do need your bike fitted. Even though cycling is a low impact sport, you can still fuck up your knees.

It was, but it was from an incident in downtown SF. Riding through a construction zone and a vehicle ran a red light and almost hit me. On a track bike with no brakes I tried my hardest to stop and tweaked something.

I spent the next 3 months off the bike to recover and attempted an 80 mile ride and barely made it home. After visiting the Dr they mentioned something about lack of cartilage and swelling bones blah blah.. seems like a hereditary thing as Pops, and uncles all have knee surgery at some point.

Did physical therapy, stayed off the bike for 9 months. Got back on and couldn't pass the 25 mile mark no matter how often I rode. Figured it was the strain on the knees from braking on the fixed so I switched to the road bike. So far its been ok. Im at around 35 miles now before any discomfort comes. I am also out of shape after not riding every other day.

[]
i stopped in at mikes bikes on howard and they helped me unfuck the chain so i could at least roll it home instead of having to carry it. he noticed that my chain pin had worked its way out and when it got too wide and ran through my deraileur, it just grenaded the entire back end. seriously heartbreaking

Ugh, very unfortunate. I just had a chain link fail a few weeks ago, but it started spreading symmetrically and skipped around on the cassette, prompting roadside investigation where luckily it was spotted (after repeated head scratching) and replaced with a KMC Missing Link.

Good luck with the repair/fixie efforts!

I hope your knees heal up and you enjoy that fancy road bike. :)

I do not know a lot about bike brands, but a friend had this for sale for less than a third of what it was worth so I couldn't pass it up. No way could I afford retail price. Thanks!

Damn! Where would you ride for 90 miles a day and how long did it take you?

Most of my long rides were in the Sacramento area. I have a lot of friends who are pretty serious with the sport so they make for good tour guides. We would ride from Sac to folsom, or Fair Oaks and back. For us it would take all day we would ride some where for lunch then back home for beers haha. I did an event once that was 80 miles that took just about 5 hours.

I hope I can get back to that. Riding around town is fun, but just like on the moto, its so much more fun getting outside the city on emptier roads farther away from home.

Damn! Where would you ride for 90 miles a day and how long did it take you?

If you ride enough, eventually you get up to the point where 90 miles is just a fun ride. Not overnight though, something you work up to. Typically, that is 6 hours plus breaks.

If you ride enough, eventually you get up to the point where 90 miles is just a fun ride. Not overnight though, something you work up to. Typically, that is 6 hours plus breaks.

This is exactly right, at least for me anyways. 2 years of 2-3 ride per week.

My very first ride was only 7 miles. You will begin to forget about the number of miles, and get more interested in seeing more places and traveling further.

My very first ride was only 7 miles. You will begin to forget about the number of miles, and get more interested in seeing more places and traveling further.

For me it switched to intensity. I used to do longer rides but now I rarely do anything over like 60 miles maybe, it's just tiring being out that long and not fun for me. I can go out for a 45min-hr ride or go to the track and destroy myself in three sub 20 minute races. I don't want to spend like 8 hours looking at the scenery stewing in my sweat.

For me it switched to intensity. I used to do longer rides but now I rarely do anything over like 60 miles maybe, it's just tiring being out that long and not fun for me. I can go out for a 45min-hr ride or go to the track and destroy myself in three sub 20 minute races. I don't want to spend like 8 hours looking at the scenery stewing in my sweat.

yes to both of the above, all the moreso for old, weak & slow me

from Day 1, for both Tuono Joice & me, the fun's come from extending our comfortable mileage while increasing pace a li'l - after a year of riding, we've begun twice-weekly, 40-min spin classes to introduce some intensity & to get comfortable with having stressed quads

'tho we have zero interest in centuries, grand fondos with reasonable routes + food & wine are very appealing distractions from the local rides we routinely enjoy together

Last edited:
Project510 said:

yes to both of the above, all the moreso for old, weak & slow me

from Day 1, for both Tuono Joice & me, the fun's come from extending our comfortable mileage while increasing pace a li'l - after a year of riding, we've begun twice-weekly, 40-min spin classes to introduce some intensity & to get comfortable with having stressed quads

'tho we have zero interest in centuries, grand fondos with reasonable routes + food & wine are very appealing distractions from the local rides we routinely enjoy together

I got heavy into mountain biking cross country. Those races last 1.5 to 2 hours, so I need to be able to go intense for at least that long. But I also do endurance events for the challenge of it. 12 hours on a mountain bike is rough.

My longest rides now days are around 3 hours. Also they are solo. I guess with people 5 hour rides would be more enjoyable.

My longest rides now days are around 3 hours. Also they are solo. I guess with people 5 hour rides would be more enjoyable.

Group rides are fun for me mostly because you can attack your buddy after you know he's been on the front pushing the pace for a while and looking like death.. that and the friendly sprints.

Back