• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Group rides are fun for me mostly because you can attack your buddy after you know he's been on the front pushing the pace for a while and looking like death.. that and the friendly sprints.

I don't really have a road bike, just my commuter CX SS. I'm limited to about 23 mph, so no peleton for me. And I'm at my limit for local climbs.

I don't really have a road bike, just my commuter CX SS. I'm limited to about 23 mph, so no peleton for me. And I'm at my limit for local climbs.

Easy solution.. get a road bike. ;)

Even a sub $500 10 year old but expensive at the time does fine for everything. Just add nice tires.

Stringing the field out on last lap, for a teammate. I hope everyone is hurting as much as me. lol
Everyone single file is a good thing. :teeth
IMG_7919-XL.jpg

Easy solution.. get a road bike. ;)

Even a sub $500 10 year old but expensive at the time does fine for everything. Just add nice tires.

Naw, any spare money needs to go in to my MTB. I converted it to SS for a combo simplicity/more work. I actually found out on Tuesday on a group ride that I could do 26, which is plenty fast enough for the groups I ride with.

I got my pro upgrade on the MTB Monday, so that's my focus.

Last race of the season, for me.
Erin, EJGlows, came out with her wife and cheered on. :D
Couple videos they made.
[youtube]e-AWSiihryE[/youtube]
[youtube]T7WqS16tHdI[/youtube]

So I ended up with a road bike afterall.

1985 Bridgestone 600!

The owner of the LBS gave it to me, he was going to throw it away. He even gave me a set of new inner cables (I had spare outer) to get it going. As far as I can tell, nearly all original. Looks like it had an old BMX plastic seat which I temporarily replaced (after breaking it trying to free the seat post). But now it has a Fabric a friend gave me from his MTB. The rear wheel was missing, but the front appears to be original. I stole the wheels off my commuter, pieced together a 7 speed cassette from a damaged 8 speed to get me moving. I have since replaced that with my old 10 speed X01 cassette from my MTB (11-36). I replaced the bars with something slightly wider and brake lever to hide the brake cables in the bar wrap.

So far my total investment is $0. Though I do have a new bar tape to put on ($7).

I named it Lorraine due to it being a 1985...

I've put about 500 miles on it in the past two weeks. Such a cool bike. Haven't decided on brifters or keeping the downtube, but I'm probably staying DT. I can get Ultegra 10 speed indexed DT shifters still, so I will probably (probably) go that route.

Last nights ride:
https://www.strava.com/activities/703313702

Probably going to convert my old CX SS bike back to a 3x9 hybrid with discs for city riding.

Attachments

• 14206039_1304685919550794_5415626813186645299_o.jpg
    14206039_1304685919550794_5415626813186645299_o.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 14249994_1306789842673735_7537741925488121744_o.jpg
    14249994_1306789842673735_7537741925488121744_o.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Cool bike. What a deal.

I had my first crash on my road bike two weeks ago. I overlapped tires in a group, rider I front of me drifted over, had headphones in and didn't realize I was there, and rode right through my front wheel. My fault for putting myself in a bad position. I ended up with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, and a punctured lung.

This is where my bike had been since and will be for the next 4-6 weeks.

I'm hoping to get a few CX races in before the end of the year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 74
I had my first crash on my road bike two weeks ago. I overlapped tires in a group, rider I front of me drifted over, had headphones in and didn't realize I was there, and rode right through my front wheel. My fault for putting myself in a bad position. I ended up with a broken collarbone, cracked rib, and a punctured lung.

Sorry to hear about bad crash. Heal up. :thumbup

That being said responsibility for not to overlap wheels, or act accordingly if a person in front moves is on a person doing it. :)

I never get the headphones while on a group ride thing. I wear them riding solo and I know it's a little dangerous, but group ride if you're bored just start annoying the person next to you by talking about your last tinder date or favorite lightweight skewers. There's a lot of auditory cues you need one group ride.

That's said I crashed a week ago but just got a bunch of road rash so I shouldn't lecture. :rofl:rofl

Sorry to hear about bad crash. Heal up. :thumbup

That being said responsibility for not to overlap wheels, or act accordingly if a person in front moves is on a person doing it. :)

Oh, I accept all responsibility for it. I know I put myself there and shouldn't have. Lesson learned.

Ouch.

Hey how do you like your fly12?

I like it. It has flaws here and there, but for it's designed purpose (road riding), it is great. I capture a lot of people doing a lot of stupid stuff on it, and it is nice knowing that if something happens to me that there is something to at least use to investigate with.

I also have the Fly6 in back.

Any suggestions on where to get a proper fitting in the Silicon Valley/South San Jose? Bike has never really been set up for me and I rode my husbands bike for all of 5mins but in those 5mins it felt better than my bike.

Back