• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

yeah, i guess lesson learned. It just seems like ive been having the worst luck with carbon. my dropout on my bmc rm01 breaking and bashing up my chainstay, the crack in the seat tube of my tm01 and now this. but my chinese carbon 29er mountain bike probably has seen 10x the abuse as any of my road bikes and it is still holding strong. cant explain that

anyways, i guess trying to have a nice, cheap beater for commuting went out of the window for me. I just bought a new Ritchey Road Logic frame. steel is real.

yeah, i guess lesson learned. It just seems like ive been having the worst luck with carbon. my dropout on my bmc rm01 breaking and bashing up my chainstay, the crack in the seat tube of my tm01 and now this. but my chinese carbon 29er mountain bike probably has seen 10x the abuse as any of my road bikes and it is still holding strong. cant explain that

anyways, i guess trying to have a nice, cheap beater for commuting went out of the window for me. I just bought a new Ritchey Road Logic frame. steel is real.

I use Specialized Langster for my commuter. One gear, aluminium, it's perfect.

Hmm as an owner of BMC TMR01 your history with the frames makes me worry.
So far so good. It survived a year of racing, including Chico RR which had gravel and pothole ridden high speed approach to it. Did chip a rear triangle in a crash, but that was repaired. Hopefully it will last. One of the best frames I have ridden on. Although integrated brakes suck bigly. Plan is to put a 3T fork and Omega X brakes. Last one was stolen along with my messenger bag. :/ Probably slightly less aero, but hopefully upgrade in braking performance, and less PITA to adjust.

Last edited:
omfg those integrated brakes are thee worst thing everrr! i spent way too much time trying to dial those in, and then when you think you've gotten them perfect and put the screws back into the shield, the noodle gets hung up on something or the cable slips. its an awesome idea, poor execution.
I know the crack in the seat tube could be repaired. its just a hairline crack and i caught it before it got longer than an inch, but if i took it to calfee or someone, they'd probably lay a big ugly patch of carbon over it, and then i could use it for a single speed or something. i just dont have the time to deal with it.

Bummer Kelso. Sorry to hear about the frame.

Definitely a fan of steel outside of racing. Though I think my next roadie will be titanium.

My XC mountain bike is carbon and I have abused the SHIT out of it. I have thrown that thing down so hard I was amazed not to find the carbon crushed. I was even hit by a car on it! Though mountain bikes do get a thicker layup.

I haven't owned a carbon roadie, only ridden them. When I demo'ed some BMC's I actually liked the feel of the aluminum bike I tested more than the carbon one. Though the carbon Spec Roubaix was damn nice (2015 I think?). Obviously I would own a carbon roadie if I was racing seriously though...

And on that note...anyone know who Ryan Hall is? If you do...take a look at his brother Chad. Dude is a monster.

omfg those integrated brakes are thee worst thing everrr! i spent way too much time trying to dial those in, and then when you think you've gotten them perfect and put the screws back into the shield, the noodle gets hung up on something or the cable slips. its an awesome idea, poor execution.
I know the crack in the seat tube could be repaired. its just a hairline crack and i caught it before it got longer than an inch, but if i took it to calfee or someone, they'd probably lay a big ugly patch of carbon over it, and then i could use it for a single speed or something. i just dont have the time to deal with it.

Oh God yes. Every time I touch those it's three hours of my life gone. That's why I finally said fuck it and bought 3T fork. Will put omega x tririg brakes on front. Will see how that goes.

Hmm, mine got repaired by spydercomposites. You have to REALLY look to see where they did it. The patch is slightly different shade.

Yeah I'll look into fixing it properly next summer. Law school has been kicking my ass way too hard to even think about getting it fixed, but it is worth it to have it fixed. My $250 Chinese frame, not so much.
I'll probably do what you did with the tm01 and get a new fork for the bike after I get the seat tube fixed and just ride it.

got my ritchey frame today. holy shit this bike is awesome. its so comfortable. i feel like i could do some double centuries on this thing no problem. the clamp on deraileur is annoying but other than that, i am loving it. also, that "ping" from the frame when you shift or when your freehub is clicking is super cool. cant wait to put some real miles on this thing
HULMHbT.jpg

so fuckin real! im converted. i never knew road bikes could be so plush. its like the bicycle equivalent of a cadillac.

A friend has a Curve Cycling Belgie (I think the only one in SoCal) and loves the Ti. I think that will be my next frame (Ti).

Carbon is the way to go when racing, but outside of that it is hard to beat steal or titanium.

Any of you guys ride in the north bay? I would like to ride more

Sorry south bay.

Not all carbon frames are created equally. My current BMC is quiet plush.

So did a nice 76 miler yesterday including 45mph descent on the coast and technical descent on Kings. Conclusion is that I like the new fork. It is quicker to initiate a turn, holds the line better, without being skittish.

The brakes are a mixed bag. They lack that final oomph. With old brakes I had to pull in lever almost all the way in, but once they engage a bunch of force could be applies in short amount of time. These engage earlier, and are much more linear, take more squeezing force, and lack that 5% of stopping power. So I have to engage them earlier, but I think descent was smoother. Frankly I thought I was going faster then usual, but my friend asked if I was taking it slowly. She thought I was going slower then usual. Although kind of subjective since it's been quite a long time since we descended that road together. Might need to find my files from other times I rode it this year.

Last edited:
gonna take the steel horse on the first long ride tomorrow morning. i ordered new shifters because these ancient dura ace ones are starting to slip bad. i need to blow them out with wd40 and compressed air then throw some triflow into them, but i think an update on these shifters is in order. here's another pic of it.
M2Sz0oZ.jpg

Sorry south bay.

Not all carbon frames are created equally. My current BMC is quiet plush.

So did a nice 76 miler yesterday including 45mph descent on the coast and technical descent on Kings. Conclusion is that I like the new fork. It is quicker to initiate a turn, holds the line better, without being skittish.

The brakes are a mixed bag. They lack that final oomph. With old brakes I had to pull in lever almost all the way in, but once they engage a bunch of force could be applies in short amount of time. These engage earlier, and are much more linear, take more squeezing force, and lack that 5% of stopping power. So I have to engage them earlier, but I think descent was smoother. Frankly I thought I was going faster then usual, but my friend asked if I was taking it slowly. She thought I was going slower then usual. Although kind of subjective since it's been quite a long time since we descended that road together. Might need to find my files from other times I rode it this year.

what forks did you get? i think i am going to do the same with my tmr01

gonna take the steel horse on the first long ride tomorrow morning. i ordered new shifters because these ancient dura ace ones are starting to slip bad. i need to blow them out with wd40 and compressed air then throw some triflow into them, but i think an update on these shifters is in order. here's another pic of it.
M2Sz0oZ.jpg

That looks REAL good.

Kelso that bike just keeps getting better looking.

Back