• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Stay with me on this one..

It's worth it.

So my very nice road converted fixie had been gathering dust. I lost interest in it, and stopped using it during spring tuneup for smooth spinning.(the true reason for fixies btw)
I got an idea stuck in my head while doing some work for a buddy, and found an internal 4 speed/coaster brake hub on eBay and laced it into the wheel, switched some bull horns out for the drop bar set up and...Presto, I got a super cool bike just like the the cool kids and it's got some gears so I can actually pedal it around.

I used to ride the road fixie down to Peets in WC wearing my finest Italian Kit to hang out drinking quad cappys and looking cool. Then I got fat and the expensive italian gear looked like gaudy sausage casing, and I hid in shame.
But after the conversion, I started riding around with my pant leg rolled up and I started using my messenger bag, even though most of the time it's empty, and now I'm cool again:ride

Every where I go, the cool kids check out my ride. I've been wearing my crayon blue skate helmet(because I'm balding too much to pull off the shaggy haircut) and where ever I go, teenage girls check me out! (untill they figure out I'm 43. Then they make sour lemon face)
I rolled up to the movies a couple days ago and a cute teenager with her mom was distracted by me. Her mom nudged her with an elbow and smiled. Then I took off the special ed helmet. The teen frowned a bit as she was trying to process the age/style dilemma, then nudged her mom back.
Mom smiled at me:p And she was cute too! Then I took my gloves off, and from 20 yards away she spotted the wedding ring in a heartbeat. Game over..
Amazing, a single mom can spot a wedding ring like a sniper!
But the moral of this story is;
COOL THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE!

I now ride around everywhere just so I can feel like one of the cool kids, which I'm pretty sure makes me even more of a :nerd, but whatever. I think I even lost a couple pounds out there.
I can't wait for my Itilian Kit to come back in style 15 years from now:laughing

Garage is open if you need to get a bike up and running.
As always, bike work is free.

K, do I get hipster points now for my other ones? :rofl

461bb399.jpg

e1a09843-1.jpg

You... my friend,

Have suicide style!!

undeniably displayed with the brke lever placed on the top tube.

hehe only mounted for legality of riding brakeless in Davis, where bicyclists get more tickets than cars. :twofinger

I'll try to get up a pic of my oldish-school peugeot. Needs new tubes though and I'll be ready to ride it again. Also we have a pretty cool bianchi folding bike that I'll try to post up for kicks.

I just did my first session on my trainer.

2 months off the bike really ruined my endurance.

I guess I have to work back up to it. The weather is too cold to ride outside right now so I get to enjoy looking at a wall while I ride.

Last edited:
Signed up for Levi's Gran Fondo the other day. Can't wait for that. Something like 2500 people already signed up. I am also going to do the Early Bird Crits in January. Its nice to have those less than a mile from my house.

No Geggy, the moral of the story is that you ride around in a crayon blue hemmet (at least 1/2 the times I swear it’s backwards) that makes you look like a ‘tard. And according to the very cute girl (OK, a little bit young) at the front desk of my gym, ..... My ‘tarded boyfriend :twofinger x 10

461bb399.jpg
[/IMG]
Dude, you’d be better off sticking that brake handle down your pants so you could at least get a little pleasure before you smash into what ever you’re not going to be able to stop in time to miss, ... anyway. :wtf
But it is hip. :teeth]

No Geggy, the moral of the story is that you ride around in a crayon blue hemmet (at least 1/2 the times I swear it’s backwards) that makes you look like a ‘tard. And according to the very cute girl (OK, a little bit young) at the front desk of my gym, ..... My ‘tarded boyfriend :twofinger x 10

461bb399.jpg
Dude, you’d be better off sticking that brake handle down your pants so you could at least get a little pleasure before you smash into what ever you’re not going to be able to stop in time to miss, ... anyway. :wtf
But it is hip. :teeth

Small Road Bike For Sale

Haven't listed this on CL yet as I wasn't planning on selling it next spring (actual selling season) but just on the chance someone is looking for a small road bike.

Giant OCR Limited: tripple
Size small (I'm 5'4" with a 29 inch inseam/fits perfect)
Full Ultegra
Carbon Frame, Cranks, Seatpost, Fork, Bottle Cages
Stelle Italia Seat (Ti Rails)
Bontrager Race Lite Wheels
Cat Eye Mity 3 computer
Hutchinson Top Speed Tires (Brand New)
GXP BB (Brand New)
EXCELLENT CONDITION
TUNED TO PERFECTION

If interested - PM for full details and pix

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 132
I had to squint to see your bar tape, I thought the hoods were floating! ahha

If anyone is thinking of getting new carbon bottle cages, search eBay. I got a pair for $24 and they work flawlessly!

IMG_6135.jpg

Ja, I broke down and got a commuter bike to make the wet commute more paletable. I need to get some cheap fenders for it, though.

One word. Fenders! or ... trainer :laughing

Back